BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to swap my OEM HID bulbs for 6000K ones. One bulb is out so I figured this is the best time to replace both with "whiter" bulbs.

I have searched and found several threads on bulb replacement. I read through most of them and although I found a few posts regarding bulb replacement without headlight removal I want to make sure that 1) its possible to do, 2)that it is not too dangerous 3) if it is dangerous, what do i need to look out for.

I have medium size hands and if at all possible, I would like to replace bulbs without headlight removal.

I apologize for starting another thread but when it comes to safety I would rather ask than start a thread about being shocked by high voltage.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'd do no bluer than 5k. While I don't agree that 6k is ricey...I consider 8k the first truly ricey look...they will definitely look aftermarket. Stock is ~4300k and provides the best light output.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
6000K is going to be blue and ricey looking, BTW
I disagree.....yes 6000K is a little blue but definitely not ricey. My HID fogs and low beams are both 6000K....looks great!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Just make sure the lights are off and you disconnect the ballast first from the vehicle harness before you remove the connector from the back of the bulb. This will help you avoid exposure to the high-voltage output of the ballast.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your timely advice.

I ended up undoing the bolts and moving the headlights forward for more room.
It took a while (10-15 mins) because I went slow to make sure I dont break the tabs etc.

Firstly, I was VERY concerned that 6000K would be "ricey"(hate that word, apologize to anyone who is offended) but 6K is no where close to being ricey. I can see how 8000K would be, but 6000K is just a LOT more bright and whiter than the OEMs, in fact the OEM seemed to have a hint of yellow (but I mean a hint, probably optical illusion).

Very happy with the results and cant wait to leave home at 6:15 in the morning and enjoy the difference.

BTW, the "blown" bulb seemed to have literally "blown"

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Very happy with the results and cant wait to leave home at 6:15 in the morning and enjoy the difference.
This is classic! Glad you got it done and are happy.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I disagree.....yes 6000K is a little blue but definitely not ricey. My HID fogs and low beams are both 6000K....looks great!
+1

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have 6000k in my car and they look fine, not much if any blue, just very white as compared to OEM. Also the bulbs probably loose color as they age anyway?

The bulbs are a pain to get out, however, the headlight assemblies come out very easy anyway.

Bet your adjusters are broken as well!

Believe it or not, I replaced the adjusters in my '03 Hella's without opening them up, they are OEM sealed with silicon! Lets just say I added a lot to my vocabulary the night I fought getting the new adjusters inside the lights without opening or cutting them!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, you are right OP. The factory 4300k hids are indeed a bit yellowish, amberish after they have been on for awhile because hids dim slightly after being on for awhile. Thats why I like 5000k the best because after awhile they still keep their pure white look, and they have just the right amount of blue in them that they make road signs pop-out but do not strain my eyes after extended use or make rain appear invisible during a stormy drive.

Glad you got it all sorted out though!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Must check what I had in the Coupe, they really were nice and bright, the mention of lighting up roadsigns above just made me think about it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Just in the process of checking on my old forum, it seems mine were 35W, 6k and boy they were good, a massive improvement over the standard candles.

Only had a tinge of blue but really good light to drive with. They from Turborevs, were about £60 or something, including ballasts and lasted for the time I had the car, 3-odd years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts