BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Just wandering - over the last 6 months or so I have seen 2 or 3 B10 3.3's for sale ( in the UK alone ) which have had replacement engines. Is there a problem ( other than the well reported oil usage ) with the 3.3 engine ? What sort of life expactancy do these units have - I done nearly 100,000 kms on mine and was wandering if I have any nasty surprises around the corner....

·
Banned
664 Posts
As far as I know there is a specific issue with May -June (ish) 2000 cars which was the oil usage problem you mentioned. All of these cars seemed to have been fixed/replaced under warranty. My 1999 B10 3.3 used c. 1-litre / 2000+miles but was always that way for the 4 years I had it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fastsaloons said:
As far as I know there is a specific issue with May -June (ish) 2000 cars which was the oil usage problem you mentioned. All of these cars seemed to have been fixed/replaced under warranty. My 1999 B10 3.3 used c. 1-litre / 2000+miles but was always that way for the 4 years I had it.
Yeah - my car had bad oil consumption but then I switched to TWS 10 60 and it is now doing about the sames as yours was. Strange how a different grade of oil can make such a difference...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a B10 3.3 (number 64) - its acceleration is a dream.

However, it has an oil consumption problem: 1l every 400 miles.

Does anyone understand the technical reasons for the high oil consumption of B10 3.3 engines in particular?

Has anyone had any success in getting their engine changed via goodwill from Alpina since I'm out of warranty.

Any thoughts on the typical costs associated with curing the oil consumption problem.

All comments/assistance gratefully received.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What oil are you using ( see note above ). On the cars there is usually a plaque saying to use Castrol Slx 0w-30 but Alpina now recommend TWS 10w-60. It is not easy to get this stuff as only BMW dealers seem to have it and they charge a fortune for it ( especially at 1lt per 400 miles ) - I bought mine direct from Castrol, though you need to buy 16 ltrs of the stuff for them to deliver it direct to you. I tried Castrol RS 10W-60 which Castrol said was basically the same, but it did not seem to work as well and I have seen threads elsewhere suggesting that it is more different then Castrol suggested....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi BCM,

I'm using the good stuff TWS 10/60.

Do you have a contact no. or address for Castrol.

cheers, ReetMon

Big Chief Muffin said:
What oil are you using ( see note above ). On the cars there is usually a plaque saying to use Castrol Slx 0w-30 but Alpina now recommend TWS 10w-60. It is not easy to get this stuff as only BMW dealers seem to have it and they charge a fortune for it ( especially at 1lt per 400 miles ) - I bought mine direct from Castrol, though you need to buy 16 ltrs of the stuff for them to deliver it direct to you. I tried Castrol RS 10W-60 which Castrol said was basically the same, but it did not seem to work as well and I have seen threads elsewhere suggesting that it is more different then Castrol suggested....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There used to be a website which I had on My Favourites, but this just brings up a blank. I have a number on my phone 01954 231 668 - give it a go...

·
Registered
7 Posts
BCM,

Many thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards, ReetMon
Big Chief Muffin said:
There used to be a website which I had on My Favourites, but this just brings up a blank. I have a number on my phone 01954 231 668 - give it a go...

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2000X B3 Coupe 0042 (build date early 2000) was using about 1 Litre per 400 miles before I sold it (Wasn’t sold for this reason although it did worry me as the car was out of warranty also the Car is now for sale in autotrader advertised by a garage in the Sheffield area) but there was no loss in performance, never any excess smoke from the exhaust & no leaks (So where does this Oil go)

I’ve stopped doing big mileages now so didn’t affect me much but when you consider the cost of running Alpina’s is expensive enough you can do with out having to add a £500 oil bill per annum for a 25,000 mile a year car. (Alpina average)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been in discussion with Alpina and Sytner, who have replaced the electronic throttle and jet suction pump under goodwill, since a recall was missed on my car. This seems to have cured the consumption problem. I'm at well over 1000km since I last put in some oil! Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
102 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts