BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too comfortable with the length of time between fluid changes that the Dealership says is "OK". Seems way too long but I am concerned that

a)it's good marketing presentation that BMW pays for service

b)long service intervals will get the car through the warranty time. If the car suffers due to the long intervals it will likely occur after 50,000 miles - when repairs become customer pay.

I have read bits about the benefit of changing out trans fluids, coolant to help things last longer.

Street Use: What are the opinions on how often to change fluids and which products to use? Has anyone put together a schedule on this?

Thanks,

Marv

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Marv,
Although you can probably find a plethora of information on oil change intervals by searching the site, like this one:

oil thread

As a reference, I change my oil and filter every 5k miles.

I don't know about changing other fluids. I think it would be good to flush your brake fluid every so often, and probably coolant as well, I just don't know how often...

·
10,458 Posts
i think gearbox and diff at 30k intervals is good, maybe overkill, but i think that's what it used to be back when the customer paid for service. I do oil every 4k or so, i'm going to do an oil analysis next time to see what it looks like. Brake fluid at least yearly, i usually try to do it before the track season. Coolant bmw says every 3 years (on the m5), i think that is probably safe.
Mike

·
Registered
240 Posts
I change my oil every 3000 miles with Castrol 10w60

I change drive train fluid(trans and diff.) every 10k to 15k miles(the dealership says it should not be changed as often) I don't care it is a fluid that gets hot and nasty from friction it needs to be changed. I have seen M5 tranys torn apart and what nasty fluid can do to one, You don't want to replace that one $$$$$$

I have 80000 miles on my car and Zero problems!
Drive the car on and off the highway don't just putt around town.the car was made to run hard so run it hard ,you will not hurt it if you take care of it
It's a high performace machine, don't let it sit, and keep your fluids changed. Trust me:flag: the car will last and make you very proud:noSMG:

No other oil in the S62 motor unless you are in extreme cold temps
The 10W60 is the way to go. take it from sombody who has the miles and good service records to back it up(Clean bill of health)

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I change engine oil every 3k-5k miles, and all other fluids between 30k-50k. Of course these average miles all depend on personal driving styles and geographical location of the car:typing:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insights.

Jeff, that's quite the oil thread. Never realized a recommended oil viscosity was country specific- one spec for the USA and another one for the rest of the world.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What about power steering fluid, how often do you guys change that? Just wondering

1 - 8 of 8 Posts