BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put about 10k miles on my BMC air filters since I first installed them. I was on their website earlier and it stated they recommend regenerating them every 15,000km, which is about 9,321 miles according to my hand dandy conversion tool online.

Just trying to get an idea of how many of you guys clean them and how often? I was thinking about just replacing them due to the worry of over-oiling but they're expensive at around $190 for a set. While the cleaning kit is about $25 on eBay. I'm leaning towards using their cleaning kit and their instructions seem very straight forward to avoid over-oiling.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Cleaning kit for sure! I would clean them every 5-8K but inspect them every 2-3K..

When oiling, let them dry overnight after oiling, and use a microfiber and damp the filter to remove any excess oil. You will be fine.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaning kit for sure! I would clean them every 5-8K but inspect them every 2-3K..

When oiling, let them dry overnight after oiling, and use a microfiber and damp the filter to remove any excess oil. You will be fine.
Good advice. I think that's what I'll do! Would you recommend the cleaning kit with the oil aerosol can or the kit with the oil squeeze bottle? I was learning towards the squeeze bottle because I think I would be able to apply it more evenly compared to the aerosol can which I've used in the past. Plus it comes with a bit more oil and is $5 cheaper lol.

·
2,132 Posts
Yup, check the filter every couple K miles, but be prepared to clean them at 5K miles. I would go with the spray oil, easier to keep the oil coverage consistent and no end up with a over oiled filter. But remember as mentioned to let the filter sit for 24 hours after you oil spray it to make sure any extra oil runs off the filter.

The important thing to do is go over the whole filter with a light spray pass of oil, wait a minute while the filter absorbs the oil, and go for another pass. Keep the nozzle about 3-4 inches away from the filter while spraying aswell and keep the nozzle moving.

I should be doing mine at the end of the summer. Should def get a few cleanings in before having to buy new filters, there expensive as hell.

·
Registered
689 Posts
These filters shouldn't need to be cleaned for at least 20-30k miles unless you drive in a very dusty environment. High flow air filters can go double the amount of miles between cleanings as a standard paper filter needs to be replaced. If you're cleaning at 8-10k miles under normal conditions, then you're overworking yourself for absolutely no difference in performance. IMO, the drip or pump bottles are easier to control evenness of application than the aerosol cans. It also helps to have the colored dye in the oil.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
2,132 Posts
These filters shouldn't need to be cleaned for at least 20-30k miles unless you drive in a very dusty environment. High flow air filters can go double the amount of miles between cleanings as a standard paper filter needs to be replaced. If you're cleaning at 8-10k miles under normal conditions, then you're overworking yourself for absolutely no difference in performance. IMO, the drip or pump bottles are easier to control evenness of application than the aerosol cans. It also helps to have the colored dye in the oil.
Sorry, I will have to disagree here respectfully. These filters should get just as dirty as the stock filter, or else they aren't filtering good enough. On top of that, these filters use oil as strong filtering screen, and trust me, a lot more dirt gets caught on the oil then the stock paper filters. I have been running paper filters for years, and I drive in city conditions in NYC, the oil goes from its new color to dark and dirty within 5K miles usually. I like to keep my filters clean so they have strong filtering and flowing properties.
Also, air scoops will make the filters dirtier faster aswell.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I will have to disagree here respectfully. These filters should get just as dirty as the stock filter, or else they aren't filtering good enough. On top of that, these filters use oil as strong filtering screen, and trust me, a lot more dirt gets caught on the oil then the stock paper filters. I have been running paper filters for years, and I drive in city conditions in NYC, the oil goes from its new color to dark and dirty within 5K miles usually. I like to keep my filters clean so they have strong filtering and flowing properties.
Also, air scoops will make the filters dirtier faster aswell.
On the scoops mentioned, oh boy. Let me tell you when I removed my filters earlier this week to check on the condition before considering recharging them there were so many flies caught in them! Lol! I guess it was from the road trip to Vegas and back for MFest. The scoops really do work!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the kit in. Only took one day to recurve after ordering on eBay. The cleaning process was straight forward! I also took the chance to clean my mass air flow filters with the CRC mass air flow cleaner. Feels much better after, definite improvement!

·
2,132 Posts
Got the kit in. Only took one day to recurve after ordering on eBay. The cleaning process was straight forward! I also took the chance to clean my mass air flow filters with the CRC mass air flow cleaner. Feels much better after, definite improvement!
Nice! yea its a nice and easy process. Its good to keep your filters in tip top shape to make sure there flowing nicely and most importantly filtering the air that is going through them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts