BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I was just wondering how often should I do a auto transmission flush on my baby which is a 2006 bmw M5
I heard many things some people say never some say every 50k some say every 30k
I just bought my baby a few months ago about 6 months ago Ive put 6-8k on it so far and I drive it very very hard..
I let the little girl rev up many times when I take her for a spin this worrys me and I wonder if I should give her a transmission flush or change and also what do you think I should use for the new stuff... thanks for all your help guys

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm a bit OCD

I do engine oil and filter every 3k mikes and gearbox and diff fluid every 6 months regardless of mileage.

I figure its overkill but for the minimal cost its great piece of mind

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mike Miller of Roundel Magazine recommends differential and manual transmission fluid changes every 30,000 miles. He has a whole schedule of maintenance for those of us who plan on keeping their car for the long haul that harks back to the days before BMW started paying for routine maintenance and extending everything to the max. If you don't have access to a Roundel magazine and want his email to get his recommended maintenance, let me know and I will PM you the email address.

:cheers:

Jim

·
2,149 Posts
BMW officially suggests every third oil change for the tranny oil and diff oil which is 30K-45K ( BMW oil changes intervals are 15K but sometimes the comp will show 10K)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm a bit OCD

I do engine oil and filter every 3k mikes and gearbox and diff fluid every 6 months regardless of mileage.

I figure its overkill but for the minimal cost its great piece of mind
damn your car must LOVE you!! 3k miles seems very excessive to me. and diff fluid every 6 months? like i said, your car must love you.

Dan

Reactions: AWOL

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi guys

I was just wondering how often should I do a auto transmission flush on my baby which is a 2006 bmw M5
I heard many things some people say never some say every 50k some say every 30k
I just bought my baby a few months ago about 6 months ago Ive put 6-8k on it so far and I drive it very very hard..
I let the little girl rev up many times when I take her for a spin this worrys me and I wonder if I should give her a transmission flush or change and also what do you think I should use for the new stuff... thanks for all your help guys
Hello. My two cents, but since you purchased your M5 recently, you may not only want to flush the transmission ASAP, but also the rear differential oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant. Give your car a fresh start. If you happen to have the service records from the previous owner, and these maintenance items were completed recently, then no need to change them.

To answer your question, I'm with Jim (from the earlier post re: Mike Miller's maintenance recommendation) - every 30K should do the trick.

Cheers! :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't even know that I had to change the rear dif oil... I heard doing brake oil is bad for the master cylinder
If I take my baby to a local shop to change the trans and dif oil how much you think this is gonna cost me???
Also so just so I'm correct every 30k for trans and every how often for the dif oil ??!

·
Registered
689 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks dave that was very helpful..
So Im looking at not an arm and a leg..

I just did the brakes myself... They where simple and easy to do...
I do my oil changes myself aswell I use liqui moly since I cant get ahole of the castrol tws 10w 60 here unless I pay duties for them cause I gotta order them from the USA... Cause Im up in Canada... It works Im happy with it!

But I will say the way I let my baby roar all the time it worrys me when the last time a trans flush has been done so I think I will get in there this weekend!
But this diff oil flush or change is all new to me! I have never heard of even changing that... Im not the most smartest guy when it comes to cars Im just learning now!

As for the brake flush my uncle told me not to do a flush because it pushes all the bad stuff into the master cylinder and causes more damage then needed..
I still wanted to do one because my Idrive/computer tells me to do one in like 2 months..
And its easy enough I seen you can buy tho's self things that are only like 60$ to do..

·
2,149 Posts
I didn't even know that I had to change the rear dif oil... I heard doing brake oil is bad for the master cylinder
If I take my baby to a local shop to change the trans and dif oil how much you think this is gonna cost me???
Also so just so I'm correct every 30k for trans and every how often for the dif oil ??!

Not doing brake fluid changes is bad.. Brake fluid likes to absorb water, that is one of the main reason to change it out every 2 years. Dont want water in there... Well i would suggest to go OEM fluid for both tranny and rear diff.. Rear diff needs 3 bottles of the BMW fluid with the booster in it which is about 50 bucks each, and a new drain/fill plug which is a few bucks. Tranny fluid is about 100 or 130 bucks for the gallon needed if i remember correctly. Also need new drain/fill and filter sealing rings which are a few dollars. The oem tranny fluid filter you can replace or just clean and re-install.
Yes difff and trans 30K each at the same time is good practice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts