BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

How much would you pay Garcia to do a 'simple' re-seal of you damper

• Less than £50 (plus delivery & parts)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £51-£75 (plus delivery & parts)

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • £76-£100 (plus delivery & parts)

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • More than £100 (plus delivery and parts)

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how much would you consider reasonable to pay Garcia to do a 'simple' re-seal of your damper?

Again, these prices do not include parts or delivery - which would be added on at cost!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think Garcia needs to let us know how much time he's going to take to do each damper. Then we can arrive at a fair rate.

Might be a bit difficult to judge right now cos he's only half way through the first one, and will inevitably get quicker the more he does.

Like everyone else, I would like this as cheap as possible, but I insist that we pay the man a fair rate for what he's doing.

This can easily mount up. EG if we took £20 per hour as a sensible starting point, I'd guess you'll be looking at around £80?

The reality of the situation is that even at £1,000 to rebuild all 4, that's a fraction of the cost of new ones, and altough I'm not in the habit of paying more than I need to, if I had to, I'd pay £1,000 for what effectively amounts to 4 new dampers.

And personally, if I'm going to the trouble of taking them off the car and shipping them off to be repaired, I'd be looking for a complete overhaul rather than just a simple re-seal job..............

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
All mine are done now :crying: :crying: :crying:

·
Registered
162 Posts
From Garcia,

To All,

Current progress the rebuild:

The rebuild/reseal will be easier than expected (just need to research two special types of backups/wipers the finish the damper), this particular dampers exterior surface needs a quick bead blast, surface treatment, paint
sealer paint before testing and returning to Brian. Once I'm settled in North
Carolina, I'll try to purchase a few sets of unserviceable dampers and rebuild
them (build a small inventory), this will delay car downtime during the set-for-set swaps. Stvye, yes members can purchase new dampers from BMW, how long before BMW/Boge depletes their inventory of new dampers, I'm merely trying to offer an alternate for their ridiculous price, as the availability of dampers decrease their price will skyrocket, with this alternate rebuild/reseal process we can somewhat affect their price, possibly to the point of reducing their price (low demand could possibly reduce their price.) Yes, the rebuild will come with a warranty (a very long warranty.) I'm still working on procuring the seals, consider it a done deal after the seal procurement.

Garcia

·
Registered
44 Posts
Garcia,guys
Well I agree with you all..But :
- When are you planning to be off to North Carolina Garcia ? (The underlying question being of course : would you have time to sort out some M5 UK owners dampers that would ask for one of your service before you leave? )
- Once seals parts issues sorted, what is your estimate of time needed to refurbished a unit ?
:cheers:
styve

·
Registered
162 Posts
valiers said:
Garcia,guys
- When are you planning to be off to North Carolina Garcia ? (The underlying question being of course : would you have time to sort out some M5 UK owners dampers that would ask for one of your service before you leave? )
- Once seals parts issues sorted, what is your estimate of time needed to refurbished a unit ?
styve
Styve/All,

Only need one day to reseal a unit, a total rebuild for 4 dampers will reqire as least 4 days (day 1: pressure test/determine malfunction, disassemble and inspect components, bead blast exterior surface, treat/remove rust. Day2: clean internal components, replace seals/backup/wipers, reassemble and pressure test unit, Day3: apply primer (sealing compound) and paint exterior /paint dry time. Day4: install labels, pack and ship to owner.

Garcia

·
Registered
162 Posts
valiers said:
Garcia,guys
styve
Valiers,

I'm flying to North Carolina 3 Dec 04 for 10 days to search/procure a house, I'll return 12 Dec 04 to prepare the family/house for the final move on 8 Jan 05, hopefully the seal/backup issue will be sorted by then, if so I'll be able to reseal a few dampers between 16 Dec 04 - 05 Jan 05. I'd rather wait until
I'm settled in North Carolina and setup a small work area in the garage.

Garcia

·
Registered
707 Posts
Garcia - I guess you'll be happy to repair for the English lads once you're in the States?

We'll just have to accept the higher freight costs boys.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Garcia - I guess you'll be happy to repair for the English lads once you're in the States?

We'll just have to accept the higher freight costs boys.....
Hello Rob,

Yes, once I'm settled in North Carolina (late January/early February time frame), I'll be ready for shipment, I'll be searching for a house between 3 Dec - 12 Dec 04, I didn't realize the dampers where so heavy, they're very solid units (that ole BMW tank like quality), really can't wait to get settled in the states as I'm getting tire of "military/travel everywhere lifestyle" (my kids hate it,) Looking forward to spending more than 4 years in one location.

Garcia

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Garcia,

I would be willing to pay $150 per strut. Actually I would be willing
to pay any amount you determine around that $150 mark if you learn
that time/materials/whatever costs more. Personally, I would like to
see all the EDC business go to you instead of BMW and hope that if
they don't get a single replacement order going forward that they will
re-think their position and drop the prices to the same general cost
as you. That to me would be the best outcome for our collective
"problem" as a group. It would then alleviate you from having to further
fix them in the future and allow all of us to use the BMW supply chain
and local dealers to get the parts at an appropriate price point.

You can sign me up as one of the first US folks who would like to get
my 4 shot EDC struts repaired. My question is how would you like me
and others to get in the "queue"? Should we send you a private email
with contact information? just post our email address on this thread?
I am sure you will have lots to do to get settled moving back and I
just want to ensure you are not bombarded every day with the same
request when your not ready. If you can let us know how you want
us to queue up I am sure we can all comply.

I, like many others on the thread, would like to extend my warmest
holiday wishes and thanks for all the great work on this so far!

thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
redbone7 said:
Hi Garcia,

I would be willing to pay $150 per strut. Actually I would be willing
to pay any amount you determine around that $150 mark if you learn
that time/materials/whatever costs more. Personally, I would like to
see all the EDC business go to you instead of BMW and hope that if
they don't get a single replacement order going forward that they will
re-think their position and drop the prices to the same general cost
as you. That to me would be the best outcome for our collective
"problem" as a group. It would then alleviate you from having to further
fix them in the future and allow all of us to use the BMW supply chain
and local dealers to get the parts at an appropriate price point.

You can sign me up as one of the first US folks who would like to get
my 4 shot EDC struts repaired. My question is how would you like me
and others to get in the "queue"? Should we send you a private email
with contact information? just post our email address on this thread?
I am sure you will have lots to do to get settled moving back and I
just want to ensure you are not bombarded every day with the same
request when your not ready. If you can let us know how you want
us to queue up I am sure we can all comply.

I, like many others on the thread, would like to extend my warmest
holiday wishes and thanks for all the great work on this so far!

thanks!
Hello Fellow Enthusiast,

What I'd really like to do is procure a few unserviceable dampers, repair them, them accomplish a set-for-set swap for each order, determining how to handle the queue will be a tough one, guess the best way to handle the queue is to prioritize base on the need of the customer (i.e. upcoming inspection, MOT, state inspections.)I'm sure the M5 group can determine
the best suggestion for setting up the queue. I think I'll be able to handle the demand once I receive the seals and setup a small work area for the dampers, if I get over tasked I'll take a little time off from the job and spend more time completing the repairs. While I'm transitioning from this location to North Carolina all members will be able to contact me [email protected] (as in the 1967 Corvette 427/435 horsepower.) As soon as I'm settle in North Carolina I'll setup another home-email (my current home email is [email protected]) As for BMW and their prices for E34 M5 parts, if we create alternatives and reduce demands for their parts they have to lower their prices or hold onto dead inventory weight. Thanks for the all the kind words and season greetings to you and the rest of the group.

Thanks
Garcia

1 - 16 of 16 Posts