BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
So prior to going catless with the Gintani tune I took a day trip down I-95 in my M5, achieved 20-21 MPG cruising at 65-67MPH in P500-S3. After getting my car back from the shop; they only drove it 3 miles but let it idle to warm up, the MPGs dropped to 6 due to idling and not being driven enough to adjust. Since then I drove it to work twice which is 21 miles each way and my MPGs are up to 14. I’m sure they’ll continue to climb if I take another day trip. Again it’s based on driving habits and health of motor. Mine only has 53,500 miles and prior to catless plus tune my only performance-engine mods were Dinan WideThrottle Bodies, Dinan Underdrive Pulley, CF delete, secondary cat delete, Rogue X pipe and Eisenmann race mufflers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So prior to going catless with the Gintani tune I took a day trip down I-95 in my M5, achieved 20-21 MPG cruising at 65-67MPH in P500-S3. After getting my car back from the shop; they only drove it 3 miles but let it idle to warm up, the MPGs dropped to 6 due to idling and not being driven enough to adjust. Since then I drove it to work twice which is 21 miles each way and my MPGs are up to 14. I’m sure they’ll continue to climb if I take another day trip. Again it’s based on driving habits and health of motor. Mine only has 53,500 miles and prior to catless plus tune my only performance-engine mods were Dinan WideThrottle Bodies, Dinan Underdrive Pulley, CF delete, secondary cat delete, Rogue X pipe and Eisenmann race mufflers.
i’ve checked the Gintani website a month ago and they didn’t have any tunes listed for an E60 M5. Do they not sell tunes for our cars anymore?

·
Registered
67 Posts
i’ve checked the Gintani website a month ago and they didn’t have any tunes listed for an E60 M5. Do they not sell tunes for our cars anymore?
I asked the same thing! They are in the process of upgrading their website but I asked them they still offer it! That’s one of the cars they’ve perfected the tuning of over the past 13+ years. Also the shop I got my headers installed at are official retailers of Gintani listed on Gintani’s site.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I asked the same thing! They are in the process of upgrading their website but I asked them they still offer it! That’s one of the cars they’ve perfected the tuning of over the past 13+ years. Also the shop I got my headers installed at are official retailers of Gintani listed on Gintani’s site.
i’m going to assume one would need to mail the ecu to them and that the price Would be somewhere around the other ones listed on their site... up to $1,600. Which is more than double that of FAMs and Bren tune. Can’t imagine it being any better either

·
Registered
67 Posts
i’m going to assume one would need to mail the ecu to them and that the price Would be somewhere around the other ones listed on their site... up to $1,600. Which is more than double that of FAMs and Bren tune. Can’t imagine it being any better either
you don’t have to mail your ECU! Since my shop is an authorized retailer Gintani just emailed them the tune with the options I wanted and they plugged the laptop into my car and flashed it. I paid for the labor for installation of headers, the tune, cost of new gaskets, studs, nuts, and 2 donut gaskets for mating up to the rest of my exhaust ( at section 1)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
you don’t have to mail your ECU! Since my shop is an authorized retailer Gintani just emailed them the tune with the options I wanted and they plugged the laptop into my car and flashed it. I paid for the labor for installation of headers, the tune, cost of new gaskets, studs, nuts, and 2 donut gaskets for mating up to the rest of my exhaust ( at section 1)
what did the gintani tune cost without the labor?

·
Registered
67 Posts
what did the gintani tune cost without the labor?
$1095.. same as it was for stage 2(catless) on their website. People with the FAMS tune even told me they wanted Gintani cause it’s more agressive while FAMS is conservative and somehow FAMS passes inspection. But who knows with that whole scandal with FAMS going on. Could’ve just been tryna get my money! HAHA

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
$1095.. same as it was for stage 2(catless) on their website. People with the FAMS tune even told me they wanted Gintani cause it’s more agressive while FAMS is conservative and somehow FAMS passes inspection. But who knows with that whole scandal with FAMS going on. Could’ve just been tryna get my money! HAHA
the exhaust burble their tune makes ... is that an optional feature? Cant imagine it being that good for the engine or mpg

does their tune also include improvements to SMG And vanos ? Like fams does?

·
Registered
417 Posts
the exhaust burble their tune makes ... is that an optional feature? Cant imagine it being that good for the engine or mpg

does their tune also include improvements to SMG And vanos ? Like fams does?
Not a fan of that burble tune I've seen couple guys with them here locally. Not the kind of attention you want to draw. If I had to guess if it's good for the engine I'd say no.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Do You guys know if theres any difference between oem headers with blanked cats and the ones from RMS where it has a pipe welded in place of the cats?

im yet to see any mention of this on the forum.. thought the main difference was just having option of putting cats back for emissions...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do You guys know if theres any difference between oem headers with blanked cats and the ones from RMS where it has a pipe welded in place of the cats?

im yet to see any mention of this on the forum.. thought the main difference was just having option of putting cats back for emissions...
Are you talking about gutting out the cats on OEM headers? If so there's a huge difference between that and RMS Headers! Gutting the cat creates a whirlwind effect inside that 4" diameter section of pipe. No good for back pressure which our cars rely on!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Are you talking about gutting out the cats on OEM headers? If so there's a huge difference between that and RMS Headers! Gutting the cat creates a whirlwind effect inside that 4" diameter section of pipe. No good for back pressure which our cars rely on!
yea, thats exactly what im asking. Is it really that much worse? Thought everyone was doing the cat gutting as a way of getting the same results

·
Registered
67 Posts
yea, thats exactly what im asking. Is it really that much worse? Thought everyone was doing the cat gutting as a way of getting the same results
Like I said in my previous response.. it creates a whirlwind effect in the gutted cat section so exhaust velocity is lower. Which is why it’s better to get aftermarket exhausts that are OEM diameter piping vs 3” or 3.5” diameter like Active Autowerkes offers for example. Exhaust velocity and back pressure are important!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like I said in my previous response.. it creates a whirlwind effect in the gutted cat section so exhaust velocity is lower. Which is why it’s better to get aftermarket exhausts that are OEM diameter piping vs 3” or 3.5” diameter like Active Autowerkes offers for example. Exhaust velocity and back pressure are important!
Well at least you were half right. Velocity is important but back pressure is not.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts