BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experience with M5 engine rebuild cost?

My 2000 M5 (new to me) has 61,000 miles and other than some startup VANOS noise, runs very well. In the past I have changed cars like clothes, but I am considering a "committed" relationship with the M5, meaning I will invest significant 3rd-party bucks to change some of the equipment for long-term driving and ownership satisfaction.

So, I'm thinking that if I keep it, I'll probably end up having to rebuild it at some point - I'm thinking here of long-term cost of ownership.

Next question: I live in rural New Mexico - there is only one local dealer and he has a "questionable" reputation for mechanical prowess - local here meaning within 200 miles - so I would take my car somewhere else for a full rebuild. Are there any dealers/shops that really stand out in terms of ability, particularly in SoCal or AZ, or at least in the southwest?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
El Gozer said:
Any experience with M5 engine rebuild cost?

My 2000 M5 (new to me) has 61,000 miles and other than some startup VANOS noise, runs very well. In the past I have changed cars like clothes, but I am considering a "committed" relationship with the M5, meaning I will invest significant 3rd-party bucks to change some of the equipment for long-term driving and ownership satisfaction.

So, I'm thinking that if I keep it, I'll probably end up having to rebuild it at some point - I'm thinking here of long-term cost of ownership.

Next question: I live in rural New Mexico - there is only one local dealer and he has a "questionable" reputation for mechanical prowess - local here meaning within 200 miles - so I would take my car somewhere else for a full rebuild. Are there any dealers/shops that really stand out in terms of ability, particularly in SoCal or AZ, or at least in the southwest?

Thanks!
Depending on the health of your wallet, contact the guys at Discovery Automotive in Cali. They have done work for various board members with different levels of sophistication and satisfaction.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would get the leak down test before considering a rebuild. I have 75,000 miles on mine and was thinking the same thing. I got the leak down, and it came back close to perfect. Im thinking i wont have to rebuild untill 150,000. Hopefully.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am sure there is a variety of choices when it comes to rebuilding an engine that you could find. From what I have heard or seen it is an expensive propistion, for a little more money you could have the guys at D/A rebuild your engine and throw in some cams and other goodies for probably a little more than just a basic rebuild. Maybe Supercharged or Shadowman can chime in and throw out a ball park figure for an engine rebuild with a mild assortment of upgraded internals for the average M5 driver who should ever be faced with an engine overhaul. I realize that with motors the sky is limit for how much you can spend, but I am just curious for a ballpark nearly stock with maybe cams. Josh

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the info - that's a big help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.