BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm selling my 2007 M6 and it currently has 16,000 miles. I was wondering how much should i sell my car? I've put around 5k modifications. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm selling my 2007 M6 and it currently has 16,000 miles. I was wondering how much should i sell my car? I've put around 5k modifications. Thanks.
Sell your mods separately. You will get nothing out of them unless you find the perfect buyer. And in this economy you might not ever find them. Plus some people like me would rather buy the car with no mods knowing it has been driven like a baby and spend the money later. I would pay more for a stock car than a modified one.

You are looking right at $50-51k if you sell independently. You should be able to get about $47k from a dealer. This is assuming perfect condition and all options. I am sure there will be other opinions, but a look at the auction prices would tell a better story. Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
279 Posts
It is always a tough call on mods ... you will never recoup all the time and money spent on modifications (but you likely knew that before getting into the endeavor). They can hurt your resale value to some customers, and increase it to others. Depending on what you modified and whether you have the original parts, you can likely get full resale value (Edmunds / Kelly Blue book) + 30% of the modification costs ... though in modification costs, very few will consider the cost of installation.

You have a few options:
return the car to stock, sell it for whatever you can get & part-out the modifications

-- or --

set a reasonable price to entice the buyer to buy your modded M6 (I recommend the aforementioned value + 30% of the resale value of the mods ... as a starting point for negotiations).

Either way, good luck!

others on the boards may help with more information if you explain what your $5,000 in modifications bought you.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
+1 mods are expensed at time of purchase, and do not generally add to the value upon resale.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting question. I don't mean to 'hijack' the thread, but I recently went through the same process, trying to figure out what I would get from a dealer. I think you might be able to do a bit better than 47K if it is a BMW dealer and you are buying another car from them. Mine is 07 cpo w/10k. Hoping to get low 50s... Maybe I live in a fantasy.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It is true that a good Stearlership will try to make it look like they are paying you more for your trade, instead of marking down the vehicle they are selling. But it sure is quicker and less hassle to trade, if you don't require top dollar or have a lot of time to spend on the process.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Interesting question. I don't mean to 'hijack' the thread, but I recently went through the same process, trying to figure out what I would get from a dealer. I think you might be able to do a bit better than 47K if it is a BMW dealer and you are buying another car from them. Mine is 07 cpo w/10k. Hoping to get low 50s... Maybe I live in a fantasy.

They are paying mid 40's for the car in auction so I don't think it will be possible to sell your car to them for low 50's unless they get you on the other car you are buying. I have noticed you can negotiate to sell your car at a dealer for trade in value on KBB. Usually they will work with that as it is right around auction prices. If you sell privately you can get higher of course into the low 50's.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
What options do you have? SMG or 6 speed? What color interior? This info would help me think of an appropriate price for your car. I will say this for now...M6Cabrio is right. You should certainly sell your mods separately, as they won't help the value of your car if you keep them on. Good luck!

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

1 - 8 of 8 Posts