BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Interlagos Blue M5, fully loaded, has 5500 miles.

Last month I rammed into the driver side door of a pickup truck that ran a stop sign (the good news is that there was a cop that happened to be right behind me and saw the whole thing. The other driver got a ticket, and my insurance reimbursed me for my deductible as it was 100% his fault).

Anyway, my car had no mechanical damage, no damage to the suspension. The only damage was cosmetic. They had to replace the hood, front bumper, headlights, airbag, and seatbelt. (total damage about $10,000).

The car drives perfectly, no difference from before the accident.

How much resale value has been lost? MSRP was $98,400.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
It all depends on the repair job that was done.....100% BMW parts and paint to match BMW's horrible orange peel ? Color and texture match are critical, body fitment is crutial..
If it was a perfect job and it shows up on the records that it was in a crash ? a gestinmate is a 25-30% loss to a private party...none to a dealer on a trade. if it's perfect, i would keep it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It all depends on the repair job that was done.....100% BMW parts and paint to match BMW's horrible orange peel ? Color and texture match are critical, body fitment is crutial..
If it was a perfect job and it shows up on the records that it was in a crash ? a gestinmate is a 25-30% loss to a private party...none to a dealer on a trade. if it's perfect, i would keep it.
Actually, dealers have offered me less due to my cars being in fender benders noting that it had body work done.

Dealers always seem to know when a car's been in an accident by checking the paint. They will offer you less. If you think about it, anyone who does a carfax check on a car will not pay the same amount for a car that's been in accident and had body work done.

That's what sucks about insurance reimbursements. They should reimburse more for loss of value on the vehicle.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I had an '07 Sapphire Black/Black M5. With 3K miles on the clock a guy decided to do a go and stop around a turn for no apparent reason, so I needed new hood, new front bumper, etc... roughly 12K in damage. Car was loaded, 98K MSRP. Almost the exact same situation as you. This was April '07. Car came back from BMW body shop and looked BETTER than new May '07. They did a fantastic job, but I wanted an '08 anyway, so this gave me an excuse. Bottom line is, the best offer I got for the car was 69K. And because it was my fault and my own insurance company, I couldn't make a diminished value claim.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just traded my 2006 M5 in. I was caught up in the middle of a pile up a few months ago and ended up smashing the front left of the car. Needed all new suspension, hood, left front fender, wheel and tire, etc. About 25K in repairs all in. When I got the car back, as with others, it was perfect and drove as good or better than before. Not a rattles or anything.

Anyway, the bottom line at the dealer (and not only Carfax shows it, the dealer did part of the work so they know what was done and how well it was done) was about a $6k hit on the trade in value. We went back and forth for a while on it but that is where we ended up.

Granted, it was a pretty major repair job no matter how good the quality of the work.

Eastern Avenue in Henderson/Las Vegas: Worse road ever! :)

-David

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Actually, dealers have offered me less due to my cars being in fender benders noting that it had body work done.

Dealers always seem to know when a car's been in an accident by checking the paint. They will offer you less. If you think about it, anyone who does a carfax check on a car will not pay the same amount for a car that's been in accident and had body work done.

That's what sucks about insurance reimbursements. They should reimburse more for loss of value on the vehicle.
:blabla: Like I said...a poor repair match will always stick out...a GREAT body work job will not shed any bad feelings about the cars worth.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You can repair a car but not unwreck it.

I've been amazed of the resale value hit of previous cars that have sustained minor collision damage, which have varied from 25-100% of the cost of the repairs.

Easy way to find out is to drop by an Autonation or similar retail pre-owned car lot and have them give you proposal on what they'd pay you. They'll inspect the car and run a Carfax report.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have a 2008 Interlagos Blue M5, fully loaded, has 5500 miles.

Last month I rammed into the driver side door of a pickup truck that ran a stop sign (the good news is that there was a cop that happened to be right behind me and saw the whole thing. The other driver got a ticket, and my insurance reimbursed me for my deductible as it was 100% his fault).

Anyway, my car had no mechanical damage, no damage to the suspension. The only damage was cosmetic. They had to replace the hood, front bumper, headlights, airbag, and seatbelt. (total damage about $10,000).

The car drives perfectly, no difference from before the accident.

How much resale value has been lost? MSRP was $98,400.

Thanks
Really sorry to hear this happened to you and your car.:sad1: Good luck on what ever you decide.:M5thumbs:
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
the rock chips on my hood a starting to bug me, does that mean if I get it resprayed, I might lose value? If so, I might just take it off and buy the vorsteiner.

·
Registered
210 Posts
the rock chips on my hood a starting to bug me, does that mean if I get it resprayed, I might lose value? If so, I might just take it off and buy the vorsteiner.
Yup. Dealer will think it's had body work done from an accident. Won't matter how much you explain. They'll use it as an excuse to give you lower price on the car.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
You have a diminished value claim in addition to the damage claim. If you have not completely settled with the errant driver's insurer, assert the diminished value claim. This appraisal service specializes in diminished value appraisals -- http://www.autoappraisal.com/index.htm. If you own the car, unless your state's laws specifically prevent you from recovering the diminution in value of your car due to another person's negligence, there is no reason for you to eat the decreased value of your car. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts