BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just curious as i tried to research on the net, but couldn't get a straight forward answer, hoping someone with experience to help me out here.
I'm just curious to know how much power can a SMG III gearbox hold, and if there is a way to replace the clutch after it's dead with an Aftermarket racing clutch? note that my car is not under warranty anymore, nor that i have the service package(as it's called here in Middle East).

I'm just researching as i'm planning to mod the s85 soon...

thanks,

AD

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
My friend I suggest you join www.bmwclubuae.com and you shall have all your questions answered and more.

The G Power M6 Hurricane has 800Hp and I am sure they do nothing to the SMG. Actually, it is not the HP but the torque that stresses the gear box.

The clutch and flywheel on these cars are pretty good. I am sure aftermarket parts will not make much of a difference. The trouble maker on these cars in the SMG Pump which fails quite often and then stresses out everything else. A good maintenance tip for the SMG pump is to change the relay and fluid once every couple of years or 50,000 kms.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It's actually both the HP and the TQ that stressed the gearbox. Each gearbox is made to withstand a certain amount of HP and TQ. If it can take 500 HP and 500NM, giving it 550HP and 500NM has the same effect as 500HP and 550NM: it's bound to slip the clutch. HP and TQ are directly related. So the clutch on a tuned car is bound to last less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts