BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much oil does your 3.8 use? Mine seems to use a hell of a lot around 5lt per 2500miles!! also has a good smoke first thing for around 5min then fine for the rest of the day.:confused:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
These things use anything from 500 miles/litre to 5000 miles/litre!

My old 3.8 was in the 750 miles/litre category, and my current 3.6 was in the 1500 miles/litre - however, since my last 'proper' valve clearance at Chez Faz it's only needed one top-up and that was this week at about 2750 miles since I did an oil change.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you have your car properly serviced and driven without being thrashed oil consumption should be around 1l/12-1800 miles.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yep,

I did just over a litre on my last ring trip last year.
Total distance was over 1000miles including a few laps
and some high speed road work.

I find gentle low speed work it hardly uses any.

I never see any smoke though..:eek:

Regards,

Alan.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine doesn't smoke either, and uses about 1/4 litre for 400-500 miles.

Never any on the ground though.

Although, while hooning, I check my mirrors for cars/bikes, not smoke, so it's possible.

·
Registered
832 Posts
how much oil does your 3.8 use? Mine seems to use a hell of a lot around 5lt per 2500miles!! also has a good smoke first thing for around 5min then fine for the rest of the day.:confused:
Hi

Are you sure this isn't water vapour ?

My cars oil consumption is very dependant upon the oil/usage.

When I got her I was using Castrol Magnatec 10w-40...with hard driving she used about 1l/1000km.....a bit higher using Mobil 1 0w-40.

This weekend I changed my oil to the "correct" 15w-50, did a 400km run with some real hard driving and the oil hasn't moved at all on the dipstick :)

Cheers

·
Registered
497 Posts
For the stats

My '95 touring with 195.000 KM has used 4 litres from the moment I owned it (november 2007) exactly 12.000 KM ago. So this is 3000 KM / litre.

Willem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine ('89 3.6 with 144.000 kms on it) uses next to nothing when running Castrol Edge RS 10w60.
It's a daily driver, and I use less than ½ litre between changes.

When I first got it, I suspect that is was running something very thin - like 0w40 or something. It did use around 1½ litre between services on that.
But with the RS - no problem...

Gearbox is a different thing though... ½ litre between service - and I already DID change the prop shaft seal :).

Now I just need to sort out the SLS-leak that has developed right rear.
<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>

·
Registered
526 Posts
My car is filled with the TXT 5W30 LLO1 spec product that BMW SA all use in their workshops.
In the 3000 odd km I've driven it , it is yet to require any form of top up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
both 3.6 cars i own rarely need to be topped up. 1 is a 89 with 128,000 km and the other is a 92 with 60,000 km. the 89 maybe a half liter every 4,000 km. the 92 have only drive it for 1,000 km but checked the level the other day and it was exactly the same as a month ago

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine doesn't use a drop between services :confused:(which are roughly every 4500-7500 miles) and it gets ragged everytime I go out.
In fact the only time it was using/losing oil was when it was leaking last year

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is dominated by you e34'ers but I have been looking for an e39 discussion in regards to oil consumption.
My 2000 e39 is using about 2 quarts of oil every 1000 mi.
I know 1 quart is not a shocker but 2?
I run it fairly hard, as it should be run.
No leaks, no smoke. Runs VERY strong(it's fun walking away 95% of cars I come across).
Any ideas?
Just hit 100k mi.

·
Registered
43 Posts
168K mile 3.6 here, using Mobil 1 5w-50, and it never seems to use any.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
About 1 litre in the last 1500 miles but that includes a day at the Top Gear Track, a trip to the Nurburgring and back, and 22 laps at the Ring.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 90' 3,6 with 235k km, uses almost nothing. I think 1l pr 15000km, but I chance oil every 5000km, and I drive Castrol RS 10w-60...

But many manufactures allow up to 1l pr 1000 km, but I would say if it use more than ½l pr 1k km, there is something wrongcherrsagai

·
Registered
168 Posts
None. 5k kms between changes. 5-50 synthetic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
5 Minutes of smoke

Sounds a lot like your valve stem seals have gone south and need replacing. This is a straight forward operation but not knowing your mechanical skills or what tools you have at your disposal you may want to consider having the problem diagnosed by an independant not neccessarily BMW mechanic. I have found, (at least in the Rocky Mountain area), that dealers try to meet their bottom line by screwing the unknowledgeable customer, (probably like that anywhere you go), and independants sometimes are no better. If you have a trusted mechanic he should diagnose it for free. If you cannot find anybody, are mechanically inclined and it is of interest let me know and I'll walk you through teh steps on how to perform the check. Good luck and happy motoring

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow Gus. Thank you very much! I am technically strong in my line of work(orthotics and prosthetics) so I think I should not have too much trouble getting through it. With your direction of course. You say, "to find out if it is the valve stem seals"? I would be very interested to know how to find this out. I have a decent amount of tools(full metric set). And the tools I don't have you will not have to twist my arm to buy them..
Thanks again.
fyi- the guys at BMW say they have no idea why it uses this much oil.ouich
Thanks,
john

1 - 20 of 24 Posts