BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
BTW, RPI's website says the stock exhaust system (sections 1-3) weights 122 lbs and their GTS is 62 so about 60 lbs in weight savings. I'm sure it's around there with other exhaust systems as well.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
There are more Lithium-ion manufacturers coming on board.
Competition will reduce some of those extortionary prices:

Shorai LFX36A3-BS12 Lithium-Iron Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com
Yes, those are cheap. I noticed that their CCA of 540 is low and compares somewhere between two Voltphreak models that retail for $700 and $1000. Maybe for warm race days it would be enough. I guess one of us is going to have to step up to the plate and be a guinea pig once again.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
If you are serious about lightening the car, check out Craig Lawrence's project from several years ago. I think he took out around 600 lbs --http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/119890-pictures-member-craig-lawrence-track-indianapolis-red-bmw-m5.html

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So I was looking at the seats. I was woundering what would happen if I unpluged my seat as I have active seats. So I unpluged it and I got all these warning codes when I started the car went into limp mode. So what do you do with the eletronics and computor if you run aftermarket seats?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
So I was looking at the seats. I was woundering what would happen if I unpluged my seat as I have active seats. So I unpluged it and I got all these warning codes when I started the car went into limp mode. So what do you do with the eletronics and computor if you run aftermarket seats?
You will have to get your car coded for the removal of the seats.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have the vph-900 but went back to stock battery. The weight savings are there but you need to trickle charge the battery. Mine took the alternator with it and the battery never got a full charge. I can sell mine if anyone is interested but buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If you are serious about lightening the car, check out Craig Lawrence's project from several years ago. I think he took out around 600 lbs --http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/119890-pictures-member-craig-lawrence-track-indianapolis-red-bmw-m5.html
Talked with the shop that did Craig work looks like you have to gut the modules out of the seats to get the car to run, its a big job! And for them to do what Craig had done its about 60K... So I'm stuck with what it is for now.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Talked with the shop that did Craig work looks like you have to gut the modules out of the seats to get the car to run, its a big job! And for them to do what Craig had done its about 60K... So I'm stuck with what it is for now.
Have you asked John Morgan Evans? I don't think he had to go through all that trouble to replace the seats and have the car run normally.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Have you asked John Morgan Evans? I don't think he had to go through all that trouble to replace the seats and have the car run normally.
Correct all John did was have some programming done to get around the errors.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I did P.M John but have not herd back yet.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
So how much is the BF-20X2 and would it work in a daily use application instead of occasional race use?

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Thanks for the info. A little too much for me to spend on a battery though. :(

41 - 55 of 55 Posts