BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Any update on this thread?
Basically my dream build here

Regarding the wheels, BBS FI-R is so much lighter. It is such a fun to drive with CUP 2 tires. The combination has so much grip and the traction feedback is very linear, you know exactly when you are on the limit.

Front
763M (19x9), 255/40R19 PS4S: 53.3lbs
BBS FI-R (19x9.5), 275/35R19 CUP2: 44.3lbs

Rear
763M (19x10), 295/35R19 PS4S: 54.6lbs
BBS FI-R (19x10.5), 305/30R19 CUP2: 49.5lbs

All weights above includes wheel spacer and bolts. I run 20mm spacer front and rear with those FI-R, the weight of spacer plus long bolts is 2 lbs at each corner, that's not bad at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
No progress so far, I was on something else during the winter. I got the car down to 3470 lbs before getting ugly or super expensive (carbon fiber door, bumper, fender and etc.) Also the corner balancing shows my two front corners are too heavy since most of the weights removed are from the rear. I will try to get more weight out from the front.

PS: The center console is very heavy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Oh. I ordered new customized header and planning to fabricate complete new pipes, that will save quite a lot of weight.

The headers are still in box, I found out that it will be much easier to install the header if I drop the engine or at least drop the subframe. So I will probably do this upgrade when I change the rod bearing...

·
Registered
181 Posts
No progress so far, I was on something else during the winter. I got the car down to 3470 lbs before getting ugly or super expensive (carbon fiber door, bumper, fender and etc.) Also the corner balancing shows my two front corners are too heavy since most of the weights removed are from the rear. I will try to get more weight out from the front.

PS: The center console is very heavy.
How does car handle and feel after all those mods?
And i would not recommend stroker kit. (headache with builders, low reliability, high price and low hp gain)
High lift scrick cams, bigger carbon air box, full exhaust, shorter diff and a custom dyno tune would make this car a true gem in my opinion.

Thanks for the update!
Car looks amazing

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
It has much less weight transfer and much easier to roll into the corner now. I believe it is the joint effect of better suspension and reduce of weight. However, I do feel the car lack of mechanical grip at the rear, very! That's why I said I need to find some way to remove weight from the front axle rather than rear! As the weight goes down. I truly believe there is no need to go stroker or supercharger. We have enough power!

I dont like the wet winter of PNW, I have not driven this car since October, my first track day of 2021 will be in April. Currently car is due for spark plug replace soon and I am struggling to decide if I should drop the engine, change rod bearing and upgrade the exhaust now because I may drive less of this car on the track this year. I really want to have a dedicated track car with full cage and other safety protection. A factory built is much preferred, either Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport or McLaren 570S GT4, they are about the same amount of money. However, that's a lot of money, so struggling on this one as well...

·
Registered
415 Posts
What are the wheel specs for your BBS FIR setup?

I just installed FI’s and had to use 20mm spacers Front and 15mm for the Rear just so it can match the front stance. Otherwise the rears would have fit.

My current setup:

20x9.5 265/35/20 ET26 + 20mm spacers
20x10.5 295/30/20 ET28 + 15mm spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
did you have a chance to track it?
Not yet this year, I have another track toy but it will sure see the track at least once or twice per year.

What are the wheel specs for your BBS FIR setup?

I just installed FI’s and had to use 20mm spacers Front and 15mm for the Rear just so it can match the front stance. Otherwise the rears would have fit.

My current setup:

20x9.5 265/35/20 ET26 + 20mm spacers
20x10.5 295/30/20 ET28 + 15mm spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just went to the garage and checked out:

19x9.5 ET22 275/35R19 with 20mm spacer
19x10.5 ET35 305/30R19 with 17.5mm spacer

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I am really just waiting for a more completely DCT swap solution at this moment, there are a couple of success cases but I have not seen more coming. I dont like the feeling of SMG and I don't want to do a manual swap because I really don't like to use clutch.

PS: I pulled trigger on a brand new Mclaren 570S GT4 factory race car two months ago and have spent most of this spring set up this new toy:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am really just waiting for a more completely DCT swap solution at this moment, there are a couple of success cases but I have not seen more coming. I dont like the feeling of SMG and I don't want to do a manual swap because I really don't like to use clutch.

PS: I pulled trigger on a brand new Mclaren 570S GT4 factory race car two months ago and have spent most of this spring set up this new toy:
I doubt you will come back to M6 after Mc :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I doubt you will come back to M6 after Mc :D
Nothing beats a V10 rev to 8000rpm, well, expect for a V12.

McLaren is so quiet that the exhaust noise measured only 92dB, you can even run it at Laguna with everything stock.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
McLaren was in the shop to install some update this week so the M6 finally sees track today this year. Without any setup, but brand new CUP2 tires, I did 1:26-1:27 at PIR in multiple of sessions, that's better than what I thought since McLaren pulls 1:19 when I drove it (Pro race car driver did sub 1:18). Everybody love the V10 sound.

The SMG gearbox however has developed an issue, the 6th gear wont deliver power on the track. When I shift to 6th, the gear number on the dash will flash. The funny part is when I drove back home, the 6th gear works just fine. Time to put a sequential on...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
The problem happens when you are on full throttle or maybe over particular RPM, if cruising on the highway then it works just fine like nothing happens.

I am trying to give myself an excuse to put a sequential gearbox on, maybe a full M6 GT3 race car build using flossman kit. But our car won't be competitive (or even possible to race) in SCCA GT2 class, kind of waste of money...

·
4,401 Posts
The problem happens when you are on full throttle or maybe over particular RPM, if cruising on the highway then it works just fine like nothing happens.

I am trying to give myself an excuse to put a sequential gearbox on, maybe a full M6 GT3 race car build using flossman kit. But our car won't be competitive (or even possible to race) in SCCA GT2 class, kind of waste of money...
You just answered you own question. Race parts on the M6 just won't live up to your track toys.

The original concept of reducing weight and improving driving characteristics will definitely make the M6 worth keeping, even if it's not as fast as it could've been.

I'd say working with the SMG or looking into a DCT swap would be better. There's a member called BlueThunder who is currently working on an S85+DCT option, he might be willing to share his experience/sources.

Another option for weight savings is a guy named Robert Linton (easy to find online). He takes on pet projects for ultra bespoke after market parts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
You just answered you own question. Race parts on the M6 just won't live up to your track toys.

The original concept of reducing weight and improving driving characteristics will definitely make the M6 worth keeping, even if it's not as fast as it could've been.

I'd say working with the SMG or looking into a DCT swap would be better. There's a member called BlueThunder who is currently working on an S85+DCT option, he might be willing to share his experience/sources.

Another option for weight savings is a guy named Robert Linton (easy to find online). He takes on pet projects for ultra bespoke after market parts.
Agreed. I would wait for DCT swap and that's my original (and best) bit. Keep the car streetable and not ugly is very important for the whole concept of this build. I should stick with it.

It was really a rush to put the car on the track this time, so I know the setup was not ideal. I have a lot of understeer into and in the middle of corner then some oversteer at middle-high corner exit. It may not be competitive in club racing for the class it has to run with but definitely can be a fast streetable track car for great value.

I see a great potential here: Shaving another 100-150 lbs of weight via some lightweight interior and exhaust; Putting a set of stiffer spring with some more aggressive alignment and correct damper setup. I think I can add some aeros as well. With all these setup, it can probably make its way into 1:22 or at least 1:23 at PIR. Remember at this point, my entire powertrain is still completely stock, not even with a tune.

Here are some lap time reference at PIR (based on the data I have collected):

LMP2 (2018): about 1:01 - 1:02
GT3 (2018): about 1:10 - 1:11
GT4 (2018): about 1:17 - 1:18
991.2 911 GT3RS CUP2: 1:19
718 Cayman GT4 CUP2: 1:22
E36 M3 full track built running slick: 1:26
Lucky Dog (A class): 1:29
Spec Miata (slick): 1:31

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The SMG will skip shifts when the rpm and speed don't match, but on track I am assuming the gear shift happen when the rpm matches the speed. Without fault code it is hard to think of the cause.
You may perform transmission step adaption to re adjust the shift solenoids position, check the oil level, and bleeding the block and the clutch, just a tune up may solve the issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. I will see if I can pull any error code from the OBD tool.

·
Registered
M6 6MT Yas Marina GT3 Touring Chalk
12 Posts
If money isn't an issue, you could switch to a syvecs ecu which has support for the dct transmission. I think not only the transmission, but new engine management will completely change the character of the engine for the better. Only problem is, I imagine it would be north of 10 grand for parts plus a reputable shop to do the work. There is support for this platform but it is very limited. Also I think a pair of schrick camshafts will add more character to the engine without compromising the reliability. That's my dream anyway, but I don't know if I'll ever shell out that kind of money relative to the price of the car.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts