BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order some Leatherique, and was wondering how much you need to do your car a few times a year. I have full leather and like to keep it as immaculate as possible. I know the 32oz is the better deal, but I don't want it sitting around forever before i can use it all. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The idea of applying the conditioner, allowing time for it to work in a heated environment, before it can be cleaned off which is then rewarded by the rather odd fact that you have to then clean the leather in a secondary stage is really rather odd, and is reminiscent of the Saddle Soap process, before it can begin to clean it must first dissolve its own oils, which limits its capacity to dissolve dirt and oils in the leather, and I can see no technical reason for applying a product in this way.

But if you feel $50 and approx 4 hours work is a worthwhile investment of time / money to clean finished leather with a thin urethane pigmented covering, that’s your choice. (See also article Oil and oil-based Products)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure it is worth it, even if it's not I'm not sure I care. I love keeping my car pristine, I avoid driving in the rain or when it may rain, hate spring because of the pollen, and am pretty much just a freak about it. For me the process of cleaning it is almost as good as the results. Anyway I'm just looking to get an idea of how much I'll need for a few applications a year. Also do you use it on all the leather in the car. I have extended leather, and it is a fair amount of leather.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i use mine on all the leather in the car
Automotive finished leather upholstery used by 95% of OEM is a multi strata covering over the leather hide; pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Finished leather s only requirement is to be kept clean and protected, urethane doesn’t require conditioning.

An acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, then two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications, and then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel and a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle as the final stage of the finishing process.

Top-grain premium leather is mostly used in prestige European automobiles; Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus, Lexus and Rolls Royce, US Cadillac and high-end German automobiles such as; Audi, BMW, Daimler AG, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche, for a small percentage of these vehicles premium lrather is standard equipment, but for most it’s a ‘premium’ package that costs upwards of 2,000 USD . This is the niche market sector both Leatherequi and Connolly were originally formulated for.

I have always thought that the more facts and information you have at hand the easier it is to judge what information you are being given. After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? In the final analysis; it’s your vehicle, your hard earned money and your choice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think honestly hot water should be used to clean any dirt off the leather , and olive oil applied to seats to keep leather in best condition as possible but you have to the olive oil dry

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think honestly hot water should be used to clean any dirt off the leather , and olive oil applied to seats to keep leather in best condition as possible but you have to the olive oil dry
1-part Virgin Olive oil for conditioning
2-parts distilled white vinegar for cleaning
A small amount of sea salt as an abrasive
Some cracked pepper to provide a fresh car smell, mix thoroughly
If it doesn't work out for the finished leather its great on a salad ;-)

j/k

·
Registered
60 Posts
1-part Virgin Olive oil for conditioning
2-parts distilled white vinegar for cleaning
A small amount of sea salt as an abrasive
Some cracked pepper to provide a fresh car smell, mix thoroughly
If it doesn't work out for the finished leather its great on a salad ;-)

j/k

:3: your such a comedian :haha2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
The type of leather upholstery used by 95% of OEM is a multi strata covering over the leather hide; pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Finished leather s only requirement is to be kept clean and protected, urethane doesn’t require conditioning

An acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, then two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications, and then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel and abrasion resistance as well as a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle as the final stage of the finishing process Oil will not permeate finished leather, it just sits on top of the coating attracting dirt and / or soiling clothing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The type of leather upholstery used by 95% of OEM is a multi strata covering over the leather hide; pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Finished leather s only requirement is to be kept clean and protected, urethane doesn’t require conditioning

An acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, then two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications, and then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel and abrasion resistance as well as a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle as the final stage of the finishing process Oil will not permeate finished leather, it just sits on top of the coating attracting dirt and / or soiling clothing.

Very honest information. But I have been using olive oil for years and my interior still looks new. I use Hot water to remove any dirt or blemished area , and then apply oil for a shine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts