BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering that, because my Dad was considering going to Germany to pick it up, and have it exported here to the States, and he also is convinced it will be cheaper there. Can anyone tell me how much it will cost in both Euro currency and dollar currency?

Er, can you give me both MSRP and the actual price dealers are charging?

·
Registered
245 Posts
twinturbovenom said:
I was wondering that, because my Dad was considering going to Germany to pick it up, and have it exported here to the States, and he also is convinced it will be cheaper there. Can anyone tell me how much it will cost in both Euro currency and dollar currency?

Er, can you give me both MSRP and the actual price dealers are charging?
If it was that easy, this would be a very popular way to buy cars. Since European model is different (to what extent and how much, I don't know) from the federalized US model, the car will have to go through the certification process. The process takes weeks to months, and bond has to be posted, and DOT certified firms have to manage the import process.

If the car is exported before being registered in EU, then one does not have to pay VAT, which would be 16%. Then add the certification cost (> 10,000?), local sales taxe, if applicable (VA DMV, for example will charge sales tax unless it was paid in other jurisdiction, or it has been owned 2 years or more). I lived in Germany for 3 years and thought quite a bit about bringing Z1 back, but the the time and money involved was just not worth the effort to me. If the car is more than 25 years old, than the certification requirement is waived and things are a whole lot easier.

John

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
On top of all that, the US appears to have the best prices in the world right now on the M5.

I am mystified by the adjacent sentences "...he also is convinced it will be cheaper there. Can anyone tell me how much it will cost in both Euro currency and dollar currency?" Here he confidently asserts something as true and then immediately asks what the truth is. Strange.

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am thinking about this too.(New m5 is 86,000 euros). No waiting time. I don't remember it being very difficult to make the car legal here(we brought over an audi a6 tdi a few years back)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
dont attempt it! i was just speaking to my service guy this week about this topic and the problems with importing Euro cars to the US...first off, US dealers are technically not allowed to work on non-US cars. There is no service warranties if you do not buy from BMW NA..i was complaining that Europe has so many nicer cars/options that I almost want to get one and do this...he was telling me a problem one of his very loyal customers has with his Z8 that he bought in Europe and now cannot pass emissions tests. the guy has bought 6 high end cars from the dealer, and he wants to help him, but he cant get the parts and the car cannot be driven...anyway, short of it is, it isnt worth in at all...even if you go on the money ...86K euros to start is over 100K in the US, then add 20K in options and 10K in conversions and you can see how expensive this is...dont know how someone is convinced when the numbers cant possibly add up...

·
Registered
49 Posts
m630 said:
dont attempt it! i was just speaking to my service guy this week about this topic and the problems with importing Euro cars to the US...first off, US dealers are technically not allowed to work on non-US cars. There is no service warranties if you do not buy from BMW NA..i was complaining that Europe has so many nicer cars/options that I almost want to get one and do this...he was telling me a problem one of his very loyal customers has with his Z8 that he bought in Europe and now cannot pass emissions tests. the guy has bought 6 high end cars from the dealer, and he wants to help him, but he cant get the parts and the car cannot be driven...anyway, short of it is, it isnt worth in at all...even if you go on the money ...86K euros to start is over 100K in the US, then add 20K in options and 10K in conversions and you can see how expensive this is...dont know how someone is convinced when the numbers cant possibly add up...
Yea, I never said it was cheaper.
Why aren't they allowed to work on cars? There was no problem for US audi dealers to work on a european diesel model(they even had to get parts from chicago to fix it once) I guess alot has changed in the past few years.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
mfspolo said:
Yea, I never said it was cheaper.
Why aren't they allowed to work on cars? There was no problem for US audi dealers to work on a european diesel model(they even had to get parts from chicago to fix it once) I guess alot has changed in the past few years.
my dealer said that BMW NA does not support cars that are bought outside the "dealer network" as they were cut out of the transaction..its just a way to keep anyone from attempting to do this...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay well that is the answer for me, no exporting from Germany :crying2:

Well, I called the local BMW dealership and they have a few spots left to pre-order, so I might go that route. I will inform you guys if I do ! :M5launch:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts