BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I am considering either purchasing a used low mileage 2001 E39 Dinan S3 model ($70K) or a low lileage 2002 E39 Dinan S2 with an ESS supercharger kit installed ($45k). My question: is a 2001 S3 really worth almost $25k more than the asking price of the 2002 supercharged S2 model? We all know that the S3 is an extraordinary automobile but we are still talking about a 2001 car. Both owners are willing to negotiate a bit but when particularly dealing with the S3 owner I will like to make an offer that is reasonable and not insulting in the least. This is my dilemma and the reason I came to the forum to seek your comments, opinions and suggestions. I know that the value placed on a vehicle no matter how extraordinary it might be is very subjective but if there is a vehicle that has depreciated more than expected is the E39 M5 model. Thanks to evryone in advance for your help in this matter.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, being an owner of a 2001 S3 myself I would certainly like to believe it's worth $70k. However, realistically it most likely is not. I would go more in line with $50k on the low end to $60k at the very most if all checks out with flying colors (and depending on mileage, owners, maintenance, etc).

However, if you wanna spend $70k, lemme know. I could be talked into selling for that price!!! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I totally agree with you that an offer between $50K and $55k is certainly reasonable. By the way, is the S3 truthfully the greatest E39 M5 ever built and also, has it been more or less reliable than you expected it to be considering all the modifications involved? Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well it is the only e39 I've ever owned, but I think the general consensus is it's the best one ever built. It is definitely the fastest car I've ever driven. It's scary how fast it is. It also can be driven in a more civil manner without feeling it's extra power. It truly is a remarkable car. Plus I've added Bluetooth and V1 to mine so I'm very happy. Laser Interceptor is next!

As for reliability, so far it has been great. Check out this thread for a long term reliability report from a S3 owner: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=172449.

Good luck! It really is a street legal race car, but with all the civility and refinement of the standard e39 M5!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input. So lets just say that hypothetically you decided to sell your S3 tomorrow and I came to your doorstep and made you an offer of $55k, would you feel insulted by such offer or not? I just don't want to jeopardize my chances of purchasing this dream car.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I personally would not. However, I also don't have my car for sale for $70k. :)

Just be honest with the guy and let him know you're not trying to offend, but you can only spend $55k (or whatever) and wondering if he would be willing to let it go for that. I did something similar and it worked out. Transparency and honesty seem to work best.

Good luck! If you pick it up lemme know!

·
Registered
220 Posts
My suggestion would be to wait for a low mileage, one owner, records, PPI etc. pristine e39 M5 and add SC (10k) and your own mods (10k). These cars are selling as low as $13,000 currently. I think in the long run it would be less expensive. Flame suit on !!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your response. However and correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a supercharger kit as the one offered by ESS produce about 100 less hp and less torque than a comparable Dinan S3? Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts