BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rob...Hi

Its in the handbook,....If you dont have one I think its about about a gallon and half if you want me to check my handbook let me know....

Regards Andy S UK

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Andy.

Will dig out me handbook and double check.

Always worth knowing how far you can push it before forking out another 70 quid!!!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Cheers Andy.

Will dig out me handbook and double check.

Always worth knowing how far you can push it before forking out another 70 quid!!!!
On the subject of fuel, I've noticed my consumption increase over the past few months.

I would normally get 200 miles or so for £40, no more the case, now I get 160 for the same amount, computer says about 19.6mpg normally.

I'm noth thread hijacking, just saying
:typing:

I would normally do 20 miles or so once my light starts to come on, never had it come on and stay on though. Another thing I've found, my range reading normally goes to "---" about 20 miles before the light comes on.

I think there are a few other threads on this...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Rob, I tend to go more with the 'range' on the obc, due to the speed of the fuel gauge needle, mine seems to have a magnetic pull towards the red end all the time. In most cars there's usually a couple of gallons (tops) left when the light comes on.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys.

Mine tends to show an average of around 19-20mpg, and I generally get 300 miles on a tank which usually costs £65 - £70.

Never done the maths, but very roughly, that equates to around 17 gallons of fuel to do 300 which = 17mpg.

Glad to say, I've seen 25mpg+ on a motorway run........

Might start to monitor this a bit closer - although maybe that's not such a good idea ouich

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Where is the MPG display? My M due to being a German Import is all in German. For the life of me can't find the Display that looks like MPG. Tho have had a Mile counter that counts down?!

·
Registered
122 Posts
BURTON said:
Where is the MPG display? My M due to being a German Import is all in German. For the life of me can't find the Display that looks like MPG. Tho have had a Mile counter that counts down?!
Hi Burton,

I have a 1995 M5 Touring, just to let you know you can change the readout to English on the Instrument pod OBC along with changing the readout to Imperial from Metric on the panel next to the radio.

Hope that makes sense!

Joni P

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Burton, the mpg button is the one under the '100' button or middle row second in from the left.
theres a picture of obc at this link - http://bmwe34m5.com/articles/E34M5_BMWSalesAus_1990.pdf

cheers,
Phil.

BURTON said:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I find my fuel needle also has a magnetic pull towards the red area. Once it goes below the 1/4 mark it races towards red. I have learnt to keep it well above the 1/4 mark at all times now.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Last night on way home from work my light came on, obc range = 39 miles, naturally taking it easy I managed 30mpg on the motorway for my 34 mile journey. When I got home obc range = 15 miles, fuel gauge needle moved about 1mm when I fired up this morning. Next stop petrol station where I filled the tank (not to top of neck) the tank took 85 litres, therefore I had 5 litres / 1+ gallons left in the tank, so I think the light must come on at around the 10 litre mark.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
plisken said:
On the subject of fuel, I've noticed my consumption increase over the past few months.

I would normally get 200 miles or so for £40, no more the case, now I get 160 for the same amount, computer says about 19.6mpg normally.

I'm noth thread hijacking, just saying
:typing:

I would normally do 20 miles or so once my light starts to come on, never had it come on and stay on though. Another thing I've found, my range reading normally goes to "---" about 20 miles before the light comes on.

I think there are a few other threads on this...
Cold weather Harry. Car runs better but less efficient :byee55amg

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
plisken said:
Mine also sounds completely different, louder, or is that my exhaust had it
ouich
Could be old chap.. Need to run it up and have a listen :wroom:

That would also explain the rise in fuel consumption but me thinks you already knew that :confused:

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you have the full OBC you can read the fuel amount in the tank from the test mode.

Press 1000 and 10 together then using the 01 button, press it several times until 07 appears then hit set/reset and you should see the fuel in litres/gallons. Not sure how accurate it is below 10 litres but it's interesting to watch it drink the stuff....

Dave

PS the Bi-Turbo has a 110 litre tank and that does hurt to fill.....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Dave, I've tried that a few times but as soon as I hit the SR button the display returns to time, and you mention 'full OBC', so I 'm thinking maybe I dont have full OBC. Funny that no one else has remembered to mention the test function, must all be dosing after xmas.zzzzz
cheers,
Phil.

DaveW said:
If you have the full OBC you can read the fuel amount in the tank from the test mode.
Press 1000 and 10 together then using the 01 button, press it several times until 07 appears then hit set/reset and you should see the fuel in litres/gallons. Not sure how accurate it is below 10 litres but it's interesting to watch it drink the stuff....

Dave

PS the Bi-Turbo has a 110 litre tank and that does hurt to fill.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts