BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm enjoying my new M5 that I picked up from waltzy23 here. It has a catless muffler delete, which my aging ears are finding to be just a little too much, especially in the low frequency range. I have the original cats and would like to get some opinions on whether it would be worth it to reinstall them or not. Has anybody done this and did it make a noticeable reduction in volume?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't speak for the E39, but on my E92 M3 the cats made a large difference in volume. I encountered a similar scenario there and ended up running catless with the stock rear-section, which was perfect for me at the time.

Most members here seem to be in consensus that a muffler delete with stock cats and resonators is a great setup from a sound and volume perspective.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm enjoying my new M5 that I picked up from waltzy23 here. It has a catless muffler delete, which my aging ears are finding to be just a little too much, especially in the low frequency range. I have the original cats and would like to get some opinions on whether it would be worth it to reinstall them or not. Has anybody done this and did it make a noticeable reduction in volume?
Putting in the stock cats will alleviate the drone. You can go for 200 cell sport cats for something in between.

Get some eisenmann mufflers too and there will be no drone and a exotic beautiful beautiful beautiful sound at high rpm.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My first e39 m5 came with a muffler delete which I then stupidly decided to decat. It was obnoxious when giving it full throttle, not to mention smelly.

My 2nd e39 m5 had a stock exhaust but was decatted. I then installed Eisenmann race back boxes and again it was obnoxious, and smelly.... fine for an old muscle car, but not a luxury sports sedan imo. I installed Magnaflow 200ci cats and have been happy since.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sounds like it'll be worth the small expense to put the stock cats back on. Thanks for the advice!
Definitely a noticeable difference. I run the Medusa headers and Dinan mufflers but I made sure to use the stock cats for I did not want unbearable noise. For me the setup is perfect and sounds incredible with no drone. My wife even likes it and always comments on how nice this M5 sounds. I vote to put the oe cats back in.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The smell factor alone would force me to install cats regardless of exhaust volume.

Since you have a muffler delete (and I assume you still have resonators), you should still enjoy the roar from the exhaust pipes out the back without the annoyances of having no cats. Depending on your tastes, you might still find that its still louder than you prefer, so you might start looking into exhaust cans to suit your tastes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked it up this morning, and yeah, what a difference! No droning, well-mannered at low speed, yet still makes the hair on my arms stand-up when I get on it. Thanks again for the advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
thunderegg
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing