BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys,

Here is the deal.
My beast needs a few things repaired, some I knew when I was purchasing the car (PPI) and at least 1 that I suspect also needs doing (thanks to the Search feature).

First things first, The PPI listed:

1- Center steering link and Both Tie Rods(might as well), the symptoms are vague and wandering steering and a "play" in the steering of about .5"-1": The estimate I was given was $1400. Is that close enough, should I expect a more realistic Lower Price?

2- I was told both drive shaft seals will need to be replaced in the next 6-12 months depending on mileage. I was told there isn't a leak big enough for a drop of oil in the drive way, but the seals are starting to get moist on the outside. What would be a fair price for this repair?

3- In 1st and 2nd gear I can feel a very very slight vibration. It is extremely hard to notice and I have only felt it 2-3 times. From searching I understand that this could be the first sign of guibo going. If it does turn out to be true, should it be done in conjunction with one of the above repairs and if not, how much $?

I appreciate if you guys can share what you had to pay for the above repairs if not DIY. I am just trying to budget the repairs and if they all need to be done at the same time, I am going to need to plan ahead.

Since there are other "new" owners on the board, I am hoping it will help others as well.

Thank you all

·
Registered
750 Posts
All prices will be more inflated if you use the dealer if not only because OEM BMW parts are going to cost double the aftermarket. As example of #3 my dealer charged me ~$900 but I felt it was worth it since I wasn't in the mood to be directly under the car at the moment. The whole exhaust and heat shield has to come off. I would tie this in with other related things if convenient like: shift linkage replacement, center bearing replacement, clutch, O2 sensors... The rear seals (#2) wouldn't bother me and I believe a lot of cars get a slight weep there (the halfshaft seals I think you are referring to) - that is so long as the rubber boots look intact. With regards to #1 don't forget control arms if you have more than 80K miles and these were not replaced. As all the new BMWs use aluminum arms in conjunction with a much heavier car these wear out much faster than those on the older 1980s or '90s cars. While people say you can get under there and wiggle things thats only true for horrific wear (which I've seen). Usually, I find that you really can't tell the condition of a ball joint until you have the piece off the car and in your hand....
Regards, Dan.

P.S. Just to correct the note above mine, As I recall the Guibo is billed out as 5.2 hours labor and part is $142. plus the cost of new bolts, etc....Yes, I know I overpaid....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Call Michael, Joey or Jordan at Mpowered/Import motor werke. They will be cheaper than you have been quoted and they will be able to get the parts for cheaper. They have done similar work for me and were done with the work quicker than expected. 919.439.3321

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks al-x: I was planning on taking the car to them. good to know they come recommended from forum members.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts