BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at acquiring an M5 and wonder if its too impractical or too much maintenance hassle to drive 50 miles daily in such a car. I am even considering keeping the 540i for daily commuting and winter driving. Otherwise I'll be slapping winter tires on the M as well.

So how many board members dont keep the M as a garage queen?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Mine's my daily driver. Although I do usually take the wife's Lexus if I'm running up to the store or other short errands.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Daily drive for me. I had a 2002 which I put 80K on it and now I have a 2003 with 38K. I have never really had any major problems. I always let it warm up for about 5 mins before I drive it. I had a cluster replaced in both cars as good will from BMW. I had a evap pump in the 2002 replaced (check engine light or SES light). That is it. It has been a wonderful car to drive every day. In SC when we do have snow, I take our GL320. My MPGs have averaged 19.6 for 80K on the 2002 with MPG in the 25-27 range on the hwy. I only use Chevron gas and give it a shot of techron every month. If I lived back up north again, I would get a "winter car", not because the m5 with snows on it would not do ok, but for fear of some idiot crashing into me. You know those angry minivan drivers! I would say go for it and you will love it for your daily driver.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I used my M5 as a daily driver for about two years until I got my Miata. I averaged ~15mpg around town and ~25 - 27mpg on the highway. Now the M5 gets driven Friday through Sunday when I can really let it stretch its legs on longer trips or when the weather is just kinda blah and I'm afraid cars wouldn't see my Miata.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Mine's my only car, so yea it's my daily driver. I love being in it. I noticed that my commute home in rush hour is much more pleasant than in my previous cars.

·
Registered
974 Posts
daily driver for 1999 m5 ...with 172000km now ...love it..

·
Registered
613 Posts
daily also, but i'm really light on the miles, maybe 100 miles a week. I do kinda baby her, just some spirited driving around town for errands and the occasional jaunt out of town. MPG is around 15, which could be better. it's a great daily -- kinda makes every run to the dry cleaners or grocery store feel like an event with drama and excitement. imagine going to the supermarket in a helicopter or a f22 raptor...it's kinda like that...completely unnecessary, but really cool. :1:

·
Registered
230 Posts
mine is daily also, but i just got it so no problems yet w/ an 01 at 46k. i do think the mafs need to be changed though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yep me too I use it all the time, unlike some of the others on this board I have had several problems which were not been cheap to fix, but I got the car very cheap with 160000km on the clock so I was expecting a few big jobs. The only down side for me as a daily driver is oil consumption.
cherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagai

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I drive mine when the weather is nice.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Daily Driver for Me too

Very relliable. Have to stay ahead on routine maintenance. Makes a a great daily driver. Personally, as much as I love her, I don't think the cars are "exotic" enough in stock form to be "garage queens".

Brian:M5thumbs:

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
... I always let it warm up for about 5 mins before I drive it.
BMW doesn't agree (for what it is worth). See the Owner's Manual, page 57, under

Starting engine

"Do not warm up the engine by allowing
it to run with the vehicle parked.
Instead, you should drive away immediately
while taking care to avoid high
engine speeds until the engine warms
to its normal operating temperature."

My $ 0.03 ...

Reactions: MCinco

·
Registered
148 Posts
Daily for me as well. Trying to split my commute between the beast and the bus, but for the life of me I cant get enough of the car!!

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I bought my car new and have accumulated 67,500 miles.

I had planned to have it for a year and a half and then sell it ... Drove it EVERYWHERE for a couple of months, even the Post Office, which is just 2 miles away.

I loved the car so [email protected] much, I changed my strategy (OK to do when you are retired). Now, it is just my "trip machine," and I plan to be buried in it. Lots of miles when I drive and a trickle charger when it sits.

It will do both with aplomb ...

Only problem in that entire time was a leaking fuel tank which was replaced by BMW.

(There are other threads on this subject.)

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Panos,

You live in my neck of the woods (Chi-town). I recommend keeping your 540i for winter driving. Winters here are brutal on a car. Between the salt spray (rust) and salt stones getting tossed up, banging against our all-too-delicate paint, you may regret dumping your 540i. I have a 540i for winter driving, and it is nice to have a beater to get you through all the slop worry-free. And if you are like me, you can still practice your drifting skills on snow & ice covered roads... :haha:

You SoCal guys... must be nice...:rolleyes:

Dave

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
I use mine t a daily driver. it wasn't the plan but I always wanted to drive it so i sold the 4runner.I wouldn't worry about maintenance etc. its an M5 and its worth is. If cost is an issue do stuff yourself to save the extra money. I too will drive this car it cannot possible be driven every again!

Ryan

·
Registered
622 Posts
BMW doesn't agree (for what it is worth). See the Owner's Manual, page 57, under

Starting engine

My $ 0.03 ...
Sounds like a enviromental lawyer got involved -get those cats working faster. I just figured get the oil out of the pan at the lowest engine speed. Who knows? Does BMW not let there F1 cars warm up before a race? Maybe not the best comparison but more wear and friction happens at higher speeds.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Starting engine

My $ 0.03 ...
Interesting! Thanks for letting us know!

Mine is a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts