BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I've been doing my car 'snooping' for almost a year now, and I've came through two offers yesterday from the same showroom (which is quite lucky) considering how hard it is to find just one.

The interesting offer is a '01 with 15K miles on the new engine he had changed since the old one failed at 72K miles, so thats a total of 87K miles on the car wich I think is really too much.

The question is, I know engine failures are rare but they do happen, so could the engine fail again or is it just a once in a lifetime for every unlucky E39 M5, and would anyone advise buying a car with that much milage (i consider 40K miles alot in our deadly climate) is the car all around solid and since the engine is healthy it should be safe or would high milage bring all sorts of issues

I might take a shot at the beast this summer but I'm not in a hurry I can wait till i find the perfect one.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
The odds of the new engine failing are exactly the same as the odds of any other S62 engine fail at 15k miles....

WHile it would be very unluicky to have two engine failures, this car already has one- so this event has no bearing on the next failure.

See if anyone here knows the history on this one...

Is there a warranty this 01? If not I'd pass, new engine or not.

A

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read this long thread of Robert where his engine failed too:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44822&highlight=Engine+failure
And it sounds like a nightmare!

And I can't stand thinking of buying an M5 then suddenly getting an engine failure that will set me back $20K and weeks without driving. My current car is actually being repaired after an accident and i've been without it for two months and there's still two weeks left of dealer's repairs and the wait really sucks.

I keep reading about VANOS, High oil consumption, some engine failures... Should i just forget about an E39 M5 and get me something else? Actually the second car up the list is an E46 M3 which i've read about 48K M3s worldwide have this factory imperfection and are subject to problems.

The salesman says the car has full service history and the engine has been replaced by the dealer but the warranty finished, it's in Qatar btw. So my guardian angel is the warranty but what about the wait when something fails our dealer isn't the best actually.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
It is of great importance how the engine has been run-in. Ask about the failure mode of the previous engine. If it was run-in related and the same person has run-in this engine, I would be very careful.

As with any performance car, M5s aren´t cheap to maintain. Expect a total cost of ownership of about US$12-14000 per year including everything (Swedish cost level)

I would definitely pick an M5 above an M3.

Is there any possibility of getting a dealer warranty?

David

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is of great importance how the engine has been run-in. Ask about the failure mode of the previous engine. If it was run-in related and the same person has run-in this engine, I would be very careful.

As with any performance car, M5s aren´t cheap to maintain. Expect a total cost of ownership of about US$12-14000 per year including everything (Swedish cost level)

I would definitely pick an M5 above an M3.

Is there any possibility of getting a dealer warranty?

David
It's the same driver for sure as it's a one owner, the salesman doesn't have exact information I'd have to get through to the seller.

I doubt I could get a dealer warranty i think it's too late.

Isn't there some kind of car insurance that would cover up the car besides accidents? I'm looking into that, i'll see my local insurance, if not, and i get an engine failure i'll have it hammered into the nearest truck :byee55amg ouich
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
DavidS As with any performance car said:
I'm thinking you have an extra zero there. $12-1400 US is reasonable, but i've certainly not spent $12k+ in maintanance! (unless you mean a range of $12.00 to $14,000!, they you're correct!)
Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree - there must be an extra zero, or maybe we're talking what it costs to maintain the BlackM5, including the original build at Discovery.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Nope, if you sum everything up:

-petrol (US$ 4000)
-insurance (US$ 2000)
-tyres (US$ 1500 / set)
-oil (US$ 200)
-service & inspections (US$ 300)
-brakes, MAFs, and repairs (US$ 3000)
-depreciation

you have the total cost of ownership per year.

David

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4000 dollars for petrol?! How much for the liter in Sweden? I don't expect it to be anything cheap btw. The liter costs us .24 dollars here, it was even cheaper before a couple of years now they bumped it up a bit. So 1 Gallon would be for .90 dollars.

Total cost of ownership would differ alot but I don't expect maintenance to be dirt cheap either at my dealer.

I'd like to know how much other board members pay annualy on their M5's for service/maintenance

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Petrol is about US$ 1.40 per liter in Sweden.

I think it is very important to have a relly good mechanic with these cars, especially if you want to keep the car perfect.

David

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
DavidS said:

-petrol (US$ 4000)
-insurance (US$ 2000)
-tyres (US$ 1500 / set)
-oil (US$ 200)
-depreciation

David
David
You are very correct about ownership and something that many US owners forget as they complain about the services their dealer does or does not provide. BMW GMBH does not have free oil changes and maintenance programs for cars here in Europe; owners must pay for everything throughout the live cycle of their cars.

Besides the additional cost of petroleum products (gas and oil) for normal use, most European Countries have rigid safety inspections that frequently require owners to replace parts much soon than in the US.

These same rules require owners to replace tires that may be allowed repairs in the US.
It is not uncommon to replace tires in pairs to ensure both tires on any given axle match in tread depth and tread pattern. In some extreme cases owners might be required to buy four new tires if a suitable replacement can not be found.

In Germany, car ownership isn’t cheap, becoming a driver is also expensive and it is not uncommon for ‘students’ to pay €1000 to € 1500 to complete mandatory driving instruction before they are allowed to test.

Last but not least, many of the EU countries, regulate vehicle registration with insurance policies, you must have a valid policy to apply and maintain registration documents. Insurance rates are much higher in the EU than the US and ownership of cars with large engines (both displacement and output) require a premium over the yearly cost of insurance.

I jokingly said it once before, but it isn’t the big V8 under the hood of my M5 that impresses my neighbors, it is the size of the wallet it takes to feed it year in and year out
Ken

·
Registered
45 Posts
DavidS said:

-petrol (US$ 4000)
-insurance (US$ 2000)
-tyres (US$ 1500 / set)
-oil (US$ 200)
-depreciation

David
Sorry - I misinterpreted what you wrote. I agree that total cost of ownership is in that range. When I read it, I didn't actually read it and therefore interpreted what you said to be maintenance

not

total cost of ownership.

I agree with you.

Michael

1 - 13 of 13 Posts