BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Any idea how many ponds can be shaved from E34 M5 3.6 ?

What will be the grand total curb weight after very very aggressive weight reduction ?

Interior, sunroof, sound insulation, spare tire, all 4 seats, with driver light weight seat, etc..

No carbon panel tricks, all stock !

Thanks
Anri

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
About 500lbs should be doable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 3.6 weighs 1,300kgs (2,866lbs)with 15kgs of fuel in the tank. That includes a roll cage & FX (c. 45kgs). The only fibreglass panels are the bootlid, front & rear bumpers - although the bonnet has had all bracing removed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
juliann, Thanks very much the info! That is helpful information to have an idea. I have the choice to chose between E24 M6 and E34 M5 for track fun.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Anri ,

Sebring Sienna is still a road legal car with 2 bucket seats etc and weighed in the region of 1380kg when last checked .

Standard , these E34 M5s are approx 1700kg ...... so that's approx 320kg or 700lbs off !

D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Anri ,

these E34 M5s are approx 1700kg ...... so that's approx 320kg or 700lbs off !

D

I think you mean the Wagon is about 1700kg right ????

Normal E34 M5 3.6 is weighted about 15XXkg

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hmmm humm

In this case I think I will go with option #1. The M5 is a bid heavy...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
davidoli said:
And that's after only restricting yourself to 3 Big Macs a day!
Is that 3 Big Macs, 2 Whoppers and a partridge in a KFC bucket?
davidoli said:
Imagine what you could achieve on the Atkins diet !
I actually put on weight on the Atkins diet, as I seemed to replace anything vegetable with another piece of meat. So instead of steak, chips, peas, carrots it would be steak, sausage, hamburger & fried egg.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I actually put on weight on the Atkins diet, as I seemed to replace anything vegetable with another piece of meat. So instead of steak, chips, peas, carrots it would be steak, sausage, hamburger & fried egg.
But I bet you didn't drop the cherrsagai ;)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
But I bet you didn't drop the cherrsagai ;)
Yes I did, and I also stopped fizzy drinks - just kept to tea/coffee/water :S

Anyway, are you going to reply to my answerphone message.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Is that 3 Big Macs, 2 Whoppers and a partridge in a KFC bucket?

Tony , this Board misses you !

Looking through the latest BMWCar M5 Magazine Special , page 61 lists the 5 speed saloon's weight as 1670kg and page 162 lists it as 1720kg , although I would expect that to relate to the later 6 speed model with the longer gearbox , bigger brakes and 18" alloys .

D

·
Registered
868 Posts
Anyway, are you going to reply to my answerphone message.
Yes, I will / have- am busy at the moment shaping snow balls to pelt at the kids across the road. :hihi:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Yes, I will / have- am busy at the moment shaping snow balls to pelt at the kids across the road. :hihi:
We'll I'm using the 2 bucket-method to build a 3ft high barricade of solid bucket-shaped bricks - there's almost enough to make an car-loo (igloo for the car).

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
I'd say use the E34.

The standard E34 shell is lighter than E36 M3 Coupe, a popular racecar project car.

I've been working on several E24 past year, but none of them was cornering like the E28's we run. I find the body shape too weak. Last car I laid hands on was M635CSi , a great example, low mileage, no rust, new shocks, tires, subframe mounts, thicker ARB's etc, and it still didn't handle anywhere near our equal mileage M535i with only Weitac springs and all suspension parts except the shocks being more than 3 years old.

I always dreamed of a 6-racer, but I wouldn't favour it over an E34 anymore.

I think 1300 kilo is rock bottom, anything lower will cost you twice as much. I think DickRS's car weighs 1400 or so. Stock weight on my car is 1670, 3,6 with manual seats and sunroof.

going crazy with CF doors, bonnet, trunklid and bumpers, plus some lightweight wheels, alloy calipers, removing the bumper shock absorbers, welding in a cage ( I'd cut the whole parcel shelf / rear seat backrest area out and attach the cage to the rear turrets) and sunroof delete, I'd say 1250 kilo's should be doable.

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
138 Posts
I weighed my car, 3.6 EURO, MANUAL SEATS, SUNROOF, with a 90L full tank and me in it (78 kg), and it tipped the scales at 1780 kg.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wout thanks for reply,

After owning 3' E28 M5's, and 7' E24 M6's for the past 6 years. Also driving M6 for daily driver. So I must say I l know both car in bloody details. My daily driver has Dinan suspension, Dinan sway bars adjustable, very narrow tires with throwing stars front 8J 225/45/17, rear is 9J ET19 245/40/17, stress. No spare tire, SLS delete.

My opinion: I would have to say the E28 M5 is absolute nothing to compare the E24.. The impression of driving the E28 M5 is like driving Mini Van.. and all of the cars had suspension with sls delete. The car is very tall the front windshield its almost vertical. You can not fit big tires in the back at the same time the car to be lowered..

Wout, lots of people different opinion but I never felt comfortable with E28 M5 driving fast on corners as with my e24. The M5 it does handle very good compare to other 4 door sedan cars, but compare the e24 m6 i can not say the same..

I own at this moment my 3rd E34 M5. Withe/Black sitting in my garage and I might just do E34 M5 Ring Taxi Replica :D and have fun with it:M5launch: How about that

The engine is only week 285hp M30-B35 Single Cam 2 valve per cyl. If they used M88/3 boosted up to 350-400hp it will be twice as fast.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px;">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fa2Xjs50CW4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

1 - 20 of 26 Posts