BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Probably going to pick up ISTA in the near future. Also buying a laptop for this purpose and what not. Does anyone else use ISTA or have any advice as to what equipment they use? Does anyone know the most affordable way to go about it? I don't mind shilling a few bucks, but am not interested in spending a few K. I've seen some kits for a decent price with the cables and the program, but am not sure if these are legit. Trying to get a good picture from everyone that uses it. As always, thanks everyone for the advice!

(Please don't say: "shouldn't have bought an M5") Lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use it for my E93 (no E60...yet).

It's pretty straightforward to use, once you figure out the correct methodology to follow. It isn't super intuitive, but not too bad.

Look for a copy of Rheingold ISTA/D, and a USB cable. Rheingold is a native install, so no need to fool around with VMs.

I picked up a surplus laptop from work, (i7, 8Gb RAM), and this works fine. I imagine lower specs for the laptop would work OK

Total cost (including laptop), was less than 300$.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I use INPA/DIS for troubleshooting, but usually I still let my deal take care of it. I really do like having an ability of plugging in my laptop to the car and having it tell me what's wrong. Totally feels like a race car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I wasn't sure if I needed the ISTA hard drive I keep seeing online.

So if I get ISTA, that will automatically have instructions for maintenance on my car, or is that a separate application? I swear I was able to get the directions through ISTA on the BMW website. Thanks!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Rheingold (ISTA/D) is the diag program
ISTA/P is the programming software

First one can be installed on any laptop and runs natively. Straight forward install.

Second one is more tricky to get and takes a long time to get working properly. Native installs have started popping up, but usual way of using this is VMware but you will need a pretty powerful laptop for this.

If you want to use the programming stuff then I suggest picking up a BMW ICOM as flashing modules over ODB isn't the greatest idea.

Search the usual download places for both sets of software. If your lazy and just want someone to give you a fully working setup then eBay is your friend.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got a ISTA/P also. However, I don't know how to use the ISTA/P. Can anyone help me?

After entered into ISTA/P , when I want to do some coding. I saw there is "Programming, encoding, replacement" tick box. How should I do with it? If I want to enable some function, how should I do?

Is there any website teach us about it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts