BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local BMW dealership got one of the road force balancers late summer of this year and used it every time when balancing my wheels after I flipping my track tires. I saw the machine and it looks like your wheel/tire is spinning against a drum--you enter your car's info into the machine and it calculates the "road force" when driving and balances your wheel accordingly.

Here's a previous thread on it...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46403&highlight=road+force+balancing

How many of you are using this? Notice any difference?

Thanks!

Anita

·
Registered
881 Posts
This is the best machine that I'm aware of to balance tyres/wheels. Well worth the money, ASSUMING that your average BMW tech knows how to actually use the machine, and has had enough practice with it. Highly recommended; (I drive 60 miles to a shop that has one). The machine can actually instruct the tech to rotate the tyre on the wheel as it measures both the tyre and wheel imbalances; hence moving the tyre relative to the wheel can minimize severe imbalance problems before even placing weights on the rim.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what my SA was telling me--that the balancer places the wheel and tire together in the best position. Guess that mya do away with the high spot/ low spot issue.

Just curious though, the techs insisted on putting the wheel weights on the outside of the wheel to prevent any possible contact with brake components. Do you have this done too? Picky me hates cleaning around the weights on the outside of the wheels and well, it just looks ugly.

Anita

B

·
0 Posts
Anita said:
Yeah, that's what my SA was telling me--that the balancer places the wheel and tire together in the best position. Guess that mya do away with the high spot/ low spot issue.

Just curious though, the techs insisted on putting the wheel weights on the outside of the wheel to prevent any possible contact with brake components. Do you have this done too? Picky me hates cleaning around the weights on the outside of the wheels and well, it just looks ugly.

Anita
No reason for the weights to not be on the inside. Just verify caliper clearance.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Anita said:

Anita
Anita,
A high performance tyre/wheel shop with a Hunter Road Force machine should always place the balance weights on the inside if you want them to; BUT ensure they use the 'stick-on' kind of weight. There would be no problem with adhesion as long as the wheel has been cleaned with solvent, and I have never had any issues with 'sticky' weights on the inside. I would NEVER allow them to place the metal weights on the rims as this will damage the rim regardless of how careful they were.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
CSBM5 said:
I'll never use anything else...excellent device if it is the Hunter machine you're referring to. Also the the top-of-the-line Hunter mounting machine is incredible. Here's my local shop with pictures of the two.
Yep, it's the Hunter!

And I'll revisit the weight placement issue with my dealership--Thanks!

Anita

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Absolutely the best... Hunter 9700

They can also give you a print out of the parameters (if they hook up the printer)

TIre Mfgs do not like them since they balance AND measure the dynamic stiffness of the tire. It is not uncommon to have a tire which will balance OK on a regular machine (with 1/4 oz tolerances) but fail to balance on the 9700... mfg gets it back.

Usually only used on performance tires on performace cars, and at those tire prices they don't see many rejects.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Anita,
One more thing.
I would not let my BMW dealer balance/install tyres/wheels for me even with an Hunter 9700; reason? they just don't install/balance enough imho to know exactly what they're doing. Far better to find a well regarded wheel/tyre shop in your area with a Hunter and let them do the work. Ask nicely and they'll even let you watch the process I'll bet, which is fascinating. I drive 60 miles to Kansas City to a Goodyear store, (not all Goodyears are alike remember), where one individual uses the Hunter and has been for years. He is great and takes great care of the rims, as well as great care with the install and balance.
The only time I let my Kansas City dealer install and balance the tyres/wheels on my '01 M5 they managed to ruin all 4 wheels and hence had to replace them all at their cost; (I then took the new wheels elsewhere).
Bish

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
thebishman said:
Anita,
One more thing.
I would not let my BMW dealer balance/install tyres/wheels for me even with an Hunter 9700; reason? they just don't install/balance enough imho to know exactly what they're doing.
Bish
I think the dealer is the best place to balance my BMW wheels. They know the value of the wheels, and if anything happens to them, there is no issue with having them replaced. They know how picky BMW owners are, and they won't damage the wheels. If they have been in business any time, they know how to balance BMW wheels. The equipment used is the issue, and I wish my dealer had better equipment. I have not had any issues, however, after they balanced my wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts