BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just thought I'd ask for the board's opinion on how many miles is too many miles for a mechanic to put on a car that's in for service. I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
This is an excellent question as I think that my stealer put over 30 miles on the car during the week that I left it for some suspension work.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Depends on what it is in for. An "intermittent" noise or driveability issue will obviously require more driving than an alignment or a brake job. More information is needed.

Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Hi guys,

I just thought I'd ask for the board's opinion on how many miles is too many miles for a mechanic to put on a car that's in for service. I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

when i first purchased my car, i dropped it off at the dealer to look over and take care of any issues that may have to be resolved... so i didnt have time to go back and forth dropping off the car while the parts were 'special ordered' so i left it with them for one week... when i go to pick up the car, i notice 90+ miles have been added to the car, keep in mind i just bought it, so i knew the exact mileage, bc i only drove it from the buyer to my garage to the dealer the following monday. the dealer had no explaination, and never gave me an answer however i wound up getting 'detailed' for free. what a scam.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had an intake cps replaced and ~85 miles were put on the car. That seems pretty darn high to me. I've never had a car put on more than about 20 miles during a service visit.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I had a transmission changed once. they put 85 miles on the car. I had a second transmission changed and they put about oh 3 miles on the car that time. I think i had so many miles on the car because it seemed as though the service manager ran errands in customers cars. I even saw him driving 5 to 10 miles from the dealership on occasion. Now that he has left I only had 3 miles put on last time I went in.

·
Registered
155 Posts
85 seems excessive for a CPS....... I have noticed that some stealers don't aways log the correct in or out milage, though.

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the opinions, guys. This happened at an indy. What recourse do you think I have in this situation? Thanks a lot for any advice.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It's funny you guys are discussing this. I have an Indy shop myself, and I've been asked numerous times by customers to take a spin in their cars, and hammer it all the way, and let them know if the car behaves as it should. And most of them don't even care if it happens while they are not in the passenger seat. Maybe it's because they don't consider it joy riding, since I own a few M cars myself?

·
Registered
990 Posts
First, if I am using a reputable shop that I trust, then taking my car to run an errand isn't a problem. I would rather have them drive it to make sure all is well. The other side of the coin is when you get upset because something isnt right b/c they DIDNT take it for a test drive. I think good mechanics dont have time to go out and joy ride...go grab lunch, or pick up a part, yes. If you like the tech then make a joke about it, and move on, dont burn the bridge.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ask them where they went-straight up. Don't be shy or an ahole, but tell them you feel it is excessive and you want to know who drove it and for what purpose. A full tank of gas is another minimum I would ask for.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
The practice I use (which I got here) is to simply take a picture of the odometer at drop-off and again at pick-up. Ideally this is done in sight of the person working on the car (i.e. this won't help at a dealer). Nevertheless, it provides you documentation if you wish to bring it up in future discussions. BTW, I too have noticed that dealers don't track mileage very well on work orders (w/o prejudice).

My dealership mechanic has told me the test drive circuits he uses. Sure enough, my tracking is 3 to 8mi per visit. Once I left her there to diagnose rough idle while I went out of town for 2wks. Phone updates occurred during that time. That visit put on 30mi. The worst part was they introduced a wisp of a door ding. I'll be hesitant to do that again.

The key is to make it widely known that you are a stickler for protocol. This should be easier with an indy compared to dealer, b/c even if you have good standing with an SA/mechanic, who knows what leashes (if any) are on the valets/car-washers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I always zero one of the consumption figures to see how my 'baby' has been driven. Picked my car up last week from the BMW bodyshop and it was reading 9.8mpg:eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh:grrrrrrr

Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
990 Posts
I always zero one of the consumption figures to see how my 'baby' has been driven. Picked my car up last week from the BMW bodyshop and it was reading 9.8mpg:eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh:grrrrrrr
Moving it around the body shop, letting it idle as other cars are moved etc would give you a very low mpg. Be glad they didnt leave the doors open, radio blaring and kill the battery!
I seem to get the best results, by explaining the job I expect to workers on terms they understand. I usually dress down, as to not seem like a prick with a fancy car that has more money than sense. Please and thank you also go a long way. I always ask what kind of beer they drink, and show up a day or two later with a case. However, I live in a small southern town, and manners still count.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The practice I use (which I got here) is to simply take a picture of the odometer at drop-off and again at pick-up. Ideally this is done in sight of the person working on the car (i.e. this won't help at a dealer). Nevertheless, it provides you documentation if you wish to bring it up in future discussions. BTW, I too have noticed that dealers don't track mileage very well on work orders (w/o prejudice).
same here - right way to do it. I don't do this for my indy but do it for the dealer, for all three crs and I always tell them I do, using a camera phone in the parking lot. Never had any joyriding since....

·
Registered
584 Posts
I seem to get the best results, by explaining the job I expect to workers on terms they understand. I usually dress down, as to not seem like a prick with a fancy car that has more money than sense. Please and thank you also go a long way. I always ask what kind of beer they drink, and show up a day or two later with a case. However, I live in a small southern town, and manners still count.
My shop needs customers like you. bad. on a good day i'm glad to get a thank you. but i work with people that are afraid im gonna steal their beer or crackpipe/ doobies out of the center console/cupholder. lol. NW Indiana, you gotta love it! (kinda like N.Hollywood, half mil homes on one side of the street and section 8 housing right next door)cherrsagai

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
First, if I am using a reputable shop that I trust, then taking my car to run an errand isn't a problem. I would rather have them drive it to make sure all is well. The other side of the coin is when you get upset because something isnt right b/c they DIDNT take it for a test drive. I think good mechanics dont have time to go out and joy ride...go grab lunch, or pick up a part, yes. If you like the tech then make a joke about it, and move on, dont burn the bridge.
A big +1.

Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts