BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very interested to hear how many members were long term (even short term) E39 M5 owners that wanted to "upgrade" to the mighty E60.

I place upgrade in parenthesis because I know many E39 M5 owners that feel the E60 isn't upgrade since they love their E39's so much.

What's your opinion on this matter and what decision have you personally made on the thought of possibly moving to an E60?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Reactions: AstonMartin

·
Registered
316 Posts
I upgraded...no doubt there is more power, more technology, more everything, but with that come a loss of simplicity. I love my new car, and I love the SMG...very fun tranny. But I can see where I had 60,000 miles of trouble free use out of the same clutch in the E39 will not be possible in the E60...nature of the beast. I'm fine with it, but it is a reality.

Reactions: AstonMartin

·
Registered
884 Posts
I made the transition, it was painful to let go of the e39. The only regret I have is that I should have kept the e39 and added the e60 and just for the record if I wasnt married it probably would be different.ouich

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I wanted to make the upgrade after my E39 M5 was totaled. I test drove the M5 and M6. Amazing car. However. the lack of torque was scary. I test drove the w211 e55 and purchased it on the spot. It depends on what you are looking for. The E60 M5 is a well built machine, just was not for me and I have owned 8 BMWs in total which includes 3 //M's. If the F10 M5 perfoms the way it is claimed to, I will purchase it. My .02

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your guys input, definitely nice to hear some recent feedback.

How have your guys cars maintenance requirements differed, i.e. Bushings, Control Arms, etc. Just an overall input on cost of ownership (Out of warranty)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Yup, I'm one of the E39-E60 upgrader! I dont like to use the wrod "upgrade" because the E39 was a totally different animal! I should have kept her!
E60 running costs are certainly more! "Scary level" more to be precise!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have only had mine for three months and no troublers or maintenance costs yet as I've only driven 2,000 miles. Still waiting to see how the service issues pan out. I will probably keep this car for 2-3 years, probably sell it while there is still warranty on it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wanted to make the upgrade after my E39 M5 was totaled. I test drove the M5 and M6. Amazing car. However. the lack of torque was scary. I test drove the w211 e55 and purchased it on the spot. It depends on what you are looking for. The E60 M5 is a well built machine, just was not for me and I have owned 8 BMWs in total which includes 3 //M's. If the F10 M5 perfoms the way it is claimed to, I will purchase it. My .02
Yes, this. When I was trading in my E39 M5, I was 99% sure I wanted the E60 M5. Drove a few E60's, then a E55 was at the same dealership that had a couple of M5's, and when I drove it, the torque got me, I had to have it.

(although, now I was to trade my S4 Avant for an E60 M5, lol)

·
Registered
884 Posts
The questions is would I trade back, the answer is no since I have learned to appreciate my E60 for the things it does well. It is more technologically advanced and the V10 grows on you in a hurry. Again the only right answer here is to have both in my opinion.:wroom:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I also made the switch from a '00 E39 to an '08 E60. For me, I wanted the additional technology of the HUD, active seats and some of the new entertainment / Nav gadgetry. The V10 is thirsty for gas but still enjoy to drive it with a bit more contemparary styling in my opinion. Lastly, maintaining the E39 was increasing not only in terms of cost but also in frequency. I picked up a CPO vehicle with maintanence til 100k which gives me some peace of mind as it doesn't cover everything. I'm happy with the move to the E60 and expect to own it for another 4+ years.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So many of you guys speak about missing your E39 M5, why did you trade it it then?
Because it is still a huge step up would be my guess :dunno:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I really, really liked my E39 M5. That said, I love this car too. Do I miss the old one? Sure! Imola Red on full extended Caramel leather was a sight to behold, and I got compliments on that car weekly. Why did I get rid of it?

1) I owned it for five years and was ready for something new.
2) The styling, although classic, was beginning to feel a little "long in the tooth" to me.
3) I am a power junkie and the thought of 500hp was enticing. I was NOT disappointed.
4) I am a tech junkie, so having things like SMG, HUD, M button, Active Seats, Integrated iDrive system with iPod, Sirius, etc..., EDC Sport Suspension, comfort access that unlocks the doors for you and wont let you lock your keys in the car or trunk, ...the list goes on and on, was very enticing. Again, I was NOT disappointed. SMG may not be for everyone, but all you need to do is put every setting as aggressive as you can, punch the throttle full bore and feel a shift at 8,250 RPM's to know if you love it. I have only done it a hand full of times, but man it is awesome!

In summary, I love both cars for what they are. I am very glad I owned a virtually trouble free E39 M5. My experience to date with the E60 M5 has also been awesome.

The reality is with MORE technology, gadgets and power comes MORE maintenance and more things that can break. I guess if you want to play with the big boys, you're gonna have to pay for it. I'm willing to pay, because this car rocks.

Reactions: ur20v

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I really, really liked my E39 M5. That said, I love this car too. Do I miss the old one? Sure! Imola Red on full extended Caramel leather was a sight to behold, and I got compliments on that car weekly. Why did I get rid of it?

2) The styling, although classic, was beginning to feel a little "long in the tooth" to me.
3) I am a power junkie and the thought of 500hp was enticing. I was NOT disappointed.
4) I am a tech junkie, so having things like SMG, HUD, M button, Active Seats, Integrated iDrive system with iPod, Sirius, etc..., EDC Sport Suspension, comfort access that unlocks the doors for you and wont let you lock your keys in the car or trunk, ...the list goes on and on, was very enticing. Again, I was NOT disappointed. SMG may not be for everyone, but all you need to do is put every setting as aggressive as you can, punch the throttle full bore and feel a shift at 8,250 RPM's to know if you love it. I have only done it a hand full of times, but man it is awesome!

In summary, I love both cars for what they are. I am very glad I owned a virtually trouble free E39 M5. My experience to date with the E60 M5 has also been awesome.

The reality is with MORE technology, gadgets and power comes MORE maintenance and more things that can break. I guess if you want to play with the big boys, you're gonna have to pay for it. I'm willing to pay, because this car rocks.
All very good reasons for the switch.

I plan on owning both M5's- E39 & E60. It's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thank you VERY much for that write-up. How much worse do you think your cost of ownership has been with the E60 over the E39 yearly?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thank you VERY much for that write-up. How much worse do you think your cost of ownership has been with the E60 over the E39 yearly?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Anyone chime in?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Agree 100%.

When my E39 started to have some reliability problems (was driven over 220 000 km), I decided to upgrade. I had had the car for 5 years already and wanted something "new". E60 is very different from E39, but I couldn't say I love it. In addition to the very good benefit list above E60 has more spacious trunk (I know, I'm becoming old). On the downside I miss the original ///M feeling - new technology and increased comfort have killed a part of the driving pleasure of the previous M5 models.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts