BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Having now driven the Green Egg a few times, I am starting to understand it. The Egg is designed to be very very fast in a straight line and to do it with a relatively high degree of slightly quirky Swedish comfort. This it does quite well, even before you get out of 3rd gear. The dashboard layout is very different but works quite well once you figure it out. The dial and display is very readable in all light conditions, much better in fact than the digital display on the F50. The center consul, which houses a large number of key controls, is baffling at first but quite logical once you figure it out. Between how the immobilizer works and the start up sequence however, my concern for someone jumping in it and driving off is about zero. The pedals are offset towards the center of the car and you sit low in the CF tub. The front windscreen is quite large and it wraps around a large amount of the front end. The front corners are not visible from the driver’s seat and it does take a bit of time to get comfortable with the cars dimensions on the road. It is a bit shorter than most supercars but feels slightly wider. On a B road, it feels like you are occupying a significant part of the roadway. It is not hard to place on the road, but you are always aware of the width. The turning radius rivals that of a small supertanker and tight corners need a bit of advance planning. What sets it apart though is what happens when you put your right foot down. Acceleration is impressive from the moment you pull away, however get aggressive on the gas and it just leaps viciously at the horizon. On top of being pressed back into the comfortable bucket seats, the sound of the supercharger spinning up (it is located right behind the driver's head), is both thrilling and terrifying at the same time. Brakes are great, thankfully given the aggressiveness of the acceleration, and overall balance of the car is quite good. The gearbox however is quite demonic and the first couple time you drive it, finding the gears is an adventure. The gear shift lever is very tall and the space between the gears very tight, therefore slotting from one gear to the next is a craft to be learned. As it is geared for 240 mph, the gearbox is not something that you need to be constantly working. The clutch is medium weighted with a high bite point which serves to add a bit of extra excitement when initially trying to master the gearbox. The noise the 4.7L V8 makes is more guttural than Italian style screaming.

Net net, it is a vastly underrated supercar. It is definitely a car that you can cover huge distances in very quickly and comfortable. Taking it out on a track would require a fair amount of intestinal fortitude. It can be hustled down a country lane smartly, but you need to respect all 800+ bhp sitting behind your back.
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Great review, many thanks for that!

Having now driven the Green Egg a few times, I am starting to understand it. The Egg is designed to be very very fast in a straight line and to do it with a relatively high degree of slightly quirky Swedish comfort. This it does quite well, even before you get out of 3rd gear. The dashboard layout is very different but works quite well once you figure it out. The dial and display is very readable in all light conditions, much better in fact than the digital display on the F50. The center consul, which houses a large number of key controls, is baffling at first but quite logical once you figure it out. Between how the immobilizer works and the start up sequence however, my concern for someone jumping in it and driving off is about zero. The pedals are offset towards the center of the car and you sit low in the CF tub. The front windscreen is quite large and it wraps around a large amount of the front end. The front corners are not visible from the driver’s seat and it does take a bit of time to get comfortable with the cars dimensions on the road. It is a bit shorter than most supercars but feels slightly wider. On a B road, it feels like you are occupying a significant part of the roadway. It is not hard to place on the road, but you are always aware of the width. The turning radius rivals that of a small supertanker and tight corners need a bit of advance planning. What sets it apart though is what happens when you put your right foot down. Acceleration is impressive from the moment you pull away, however get aggressive on the gas and it just leaps viciously at the horizon. On top of being pressed back into the comfortable bucket seats, the sound of the supercharger spinning up (it is located right behind the driver's head), is both thrilling and terrifying at the same time. Brakes are great, thankfully given the aggressiveness of the acceleration, and overall balance of the car is quite good. The gearbox however is quite demonic and the first couple time you drive it, finding the gears is an adventure. The gear shift lever is very tall and the space between the gears very tight, therefore slotting from one gear to the next is a craft to be learned. As it is geared for 240 mph, the gearbox is not something that you need to be constantly working. The clutch is medium weighted with a high bite point which serves to add a bit of extra excitement when initially trying to master the gearbox. The noise the 4.7L V8 makes is more guttural than Italian style screaming.

Net net, it is a vastly underrated supercar. It is definitely a car that you can cover huge distances in very quickly and comfortable. Taking it out on a track would require a fair amount of intestinal fortitude. It can be hustled down a country lane smartly, but you need to respect all 800+ bhp sitting behind your back.
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drove the K'egg down to Goodwood on Sunday morning. Round trip was just over 100 miles. The roads were a bit damp on the way down so took it easy with the right foot. Despite this still managed to run through 30 liters of petrol. The CCR is a thirsty machine. With more experience, placing the car on the road and getting it flowing properly down a twisty B-road is becoming more natural. With a bit of use, the gear shift now is a bit less stiff and slotting in more easily. Like most supercars, the CCR really benefits from regular use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boxer, thank you for sharing your personal experience of the Kegg with us! It's really cool to hear first hand about driving this machine.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Nice post Boxer, I've driven my fair share of exotics but the Egg, I need to drive the Egg...

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Spyker is a very cool experience to drive! The exhaust sound is really amazing for stock and the seamless windshield gives it a very unobstructed view of the sky. The stick shift is all exposed so you can see the shifter move back, forth and side to side when shifting. All the pedals in the pedal box are bottom hinged and the clutch is light so it's easy to drive. It is a small car but there is a few blinds spots behind you and When you have the top down you cannot see out the rear view mirror. There is no traction control to save your bacon and there is no brake booster so the brake pedal is stiff. My car does have assisted power steering which is nice but if your really driving hard in corners then you will notice the steering get stiff. All and all it is a drivers car and a blast to autocross. It is really put together good for a hand built car and I have had no major issues with my car. I have 12,000km on it and I will keep on driving it!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Spyker is a very cool experience to drive! The exhaust sound is really amazing for stock and the seamless windshield gives it a very unobstructed view of the sky. The stick shift is all exposed so you can see the shifter move back, forth and side to side when shifting. All the pedals in the pedal box are bottom hinged and the clutch is light so it's easy to drive. It is a small car but there is a few blinds spots behind you and When you have the top down you cannot see out the rear view mirror. There is no traction control to save your bacon and there is no brake booster so the brake pedal is stiff. My car does have assisted power steering which is nice but if your really driving hard in corners then you will notice the steering get stiff. All and all it is a drivers car and a blast to autocross. It is really put together good for a hand built car and I have had no major issues with my car. I have 12,000km on it and I will keep on driving it!!!!

Thanks for the write up and pictures. Very tempted to go ask for a test drive now.:biggrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
After several months with the Great Green Egg, I have to admit it has really grown on me. It is not an easy car to drive by any stretch of the imagination but it is a fun car to drive. It demands a very high level driver involvment at all times. You always feel both like you are sitting in something very special and that it could bite you if you let your guard down at any time. That having been said, I have now driven it at night on the highway in the rain, thru the middle of London during rush hour, on long country drives with friends, and to the supermarket. In all these situations it behaved impecabily. With the roof on, it is a bit cramped and claustrophobic, with it off, it is just great. In a straight line, it adds a whole new dimension to quick. Once the supercharger really starts spinning, the horizon just smacks you in the face. The brakes fortunately are excellent and bite very well. The gearbox is still demonic but once you learn how it works, actually quite managable. Given the brutality of the acceleration, it actually makes sense.

In terms of a car to live with, I have kept it on a battery conditioner when not using it and have never had any of the electrical problems you hear about. The windows are programed to drop when you open the doors and sometimes seem to have their own agenda. The front nose lift has been very helpful in terms of getting over speed bumps, and it is fairly easy to get the roof on and off.

Overall, very happy with the Egg to date.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Great update guys, cant veleive we have two oqner updates on one page, great!

Regards from the factory., yesterday I saw four Agera :D

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drove the K'egg to Wilton House a couple of weeks ago. Had a really good run down as part of a 15 supercar convoy. Not sure how, but we ended up first going through the gate. THe more it gets used, the better it is running.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello people last month been very busy so i did not post. 'm Still happy with my egg and now i,m looking to buy a ccxr or to looking for a Agera. I have been at the Koenigsegg factory and I have good talks with Christian and Haldora. (Very nice people!)

to be continued...
Good one, chief.. I really hope you get an Agera. If you do you better share some pictures :haha:

141 - 160 of 169 Posts