BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 00' with 60k miles on it thats runs strong and I want to keep it for another 60k. I'm wondering how the high mileage M5's have held up and what major maintenance/repairs was needed. I plan to get an extended warranty but I know some things are not covered. I don't have deep pockets so I'm concerned about future multi-thousand dollar repairs.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I am not sure what you are considering high mileage. Over 75k miles?

Mark

·
Registered
129 Posts
got one at 90k, put 5k on it with no issues so far... as parts fail ill be ready to replace with better aftermarket pieces(cats, brakes, exhaust, etc).... really depends on who u get it from and what condition the previous owner kept it in...i was lucky enough to get a car owned by a couple here in florida that used it strictly on weekend's and for road trips... they kept up the maintenance as well with full records... so that 90k is really more like 75k when you factor in the highway mileage... they also never attempted to really push it to its limits, i feel like the car is just being broken in now when I push it hard....

obviously a high mileage car kept up north is probably gonna have a bit more wear and tear on it due to the cold and all the stop and go in the cities you will run into...

·
Registered
129 Posts
fyi i turned down an extended warranty... 2 years/24k miles at almost 3k to cover basically the engine seemed like a waste to me, if the engine fails im sure they'd find some reason to not pay for a replacement so id be wasting 3k i could use to improve the car overall....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MAH said:
I am not sure what you are considering high mileage. Over 75k miles?

Mark
I would consider 80K + miles high on a 2000.

Lemans, do you have a bad experience with an extended warranties?

Does anyone else share the view that extended warranties aren't worth it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
:cheers:

I got mine at 65K miles for 2001 just couple month ago. Drive really strong and I love it. No issues yet since prior owner has 2nd inspection done plus
clutch replace.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have 83K on my '01, I was apprehensive about the purchase until two seperate BMWCCA NJ members checked it out for me and gave it their full approval.

Thus far, the car has had no problems worth noting aside from the failing intrument cluster pixels which seem like a common problem on E39/E38s.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
For all you interested in purchasing a used M5

All,

I think one of the most important items that you might overlook when purchasing a used M5 and an item that is almost impossible to verify when used would be the original break-in procedure when the car was new.

This would be the procedure during the initial 1200 miles of not excedding 105MPH and not excedding a certain RPM level. Also you wanted to vary the RPM level as opposed to one steady state RPM like driving on a long trip.

I certainly saw a large variation in oil consumption between the same model year which probably was attributed in part to how closely an owner stuck to the breakin procedure.

Just something else for you to think about when asking questions of the original owner.

Mark

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Riley6 said:
I plan to get an extended warranty but I know some things are not covered. I don't have deep pockets so I'm concerned about future multi-thousand dollar repairs.
My CPO warranty expires at the end of this year, so I've been shopping around for 3rd party warranties. So far, I like 1Source. Cheaper by about $1,000USD for three-year coverage compared with what the dealer was offering. Just for grins, I plugged your car into the free estimate engine (2000, 60k, New Joisey). It gave me $3,600 for three-year bumper-to-bumper ('Diamond') coverage ($100 ded). That $1,000/year for a lot of peace of mind. I've owned enough BMW's to know that you can rack up $1,000/year really quick with all the goodies that can go wrong.

Does anyone else have any experience with 1Source (good or bad)?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wilsodh said:
My CPO warranty expires at the end of this year, so I've been shopping around for 3rd party warranties. So far, I like 1Source. Cheaper by about $1,000USD for three-year coverage compared with what the dealer was offering. Just for grins, I plugged your car into the free estimate engine (2000, 60k, New Joisey). It gave me $3,600 for three-year bumper-to-bumper ('Diamond') coverage ($100 ded). That $1,000/year for a lot of peace of mind. I've owned enough BMW's to know that you can rack up $1,000/year really quick with all the goodies that can go wrong.

Does anyone else have any experience with 1Source (good or bad)?
Thanks Dave, sounds good. I will look into 1Source.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
2000 M5.
93,000 miles so far.

Repairs (Maint not listed)
Date Mileage Repair
3/10/2002 35000 Replaced CD Changer
3/10/2002 35000 Replaced Differential Seal
6/28/2002 39798 Replaced O2 sensor
9/20/2002 43420 New Oil Pan Gasket
9/20/2002 43420 Replace 2 Power steering hoses
12/17/2002 49507 Replace cracked trim, driver's door
7/25/2003 60200 Passenger Side Small Sunshade Repair
10/1/2003 64000 Replaced both MAFs
10/1/2003 64000 Replaced both pre-cat O2 Sensors
2/8/2004 69700 Replaced Windshield gasket
12/5/2004 84850 Exhaust Cam Sensor (cyl 1-4 right side)
12/10/2004 85100 Replace other 2 power steering hoses
4/26/2005 90090 New Clutch, Guide Sleeve, Rel Lever, Ball Pin, Ball bearing
5/30/2005 91750 Replace vapor seal inside left & Right rear doors

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: For all you interested in purchasing a used M5

MAH said:
All,

I think one of the most important items that you might overlook when purchasing a used M5 and an item that is almost impossible to verify when used would be the original break-in procedure when the car was new.

This would be the procedure during the initial 1200 miles of not excedding 105MPH and not excedding a certain RPM level. Also you wanted to vary the RPM level as opposed to one steady state RPM like driving on a long trip.

I certainly saw a large variation in oil consumption between the same model year which probably was attributed in part to how closely an owner stuck to the breakin procedure.

Just something else for you to think about when asking questions of the original owner.

Mark
I agree Mark,

You can detail and buff the car but you never know whether someone beat the crap out of the car when it was new or not.

Joe

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

MAH said:
All,

Mark
With all the electronics in the car, one of the most useful features would be in the DME logged time spent above the limits during brake-in. This way a seller could proove the car was run-in properly by its first owner. Today it is a matter of (dis)trust.

Besides, on a car model where the first owner most likely is not a car enthusiast, and someone who does not plan to keep the car forever, I sadly think strict adherence to run-in procedures is a rare exception.

David

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have 73k miles at the moment on my modded 2001 an it's drivin like a dream, alway change the oil between oil light services. Just about ready for another inspection 1 service. A number of small warranty items, but 90% of it is me being fussy ...........

Ony big items so far, clutch, steering parts, wheel bearing, rest minor (CD changer, roll bar rackets, roll bar drop links, and minor electrics)

Still luv it :wroom:

·
Registered
6,969 Posts

hudson said:
I agree Mark,

You can detail and buff the car but you never know whether someone beat the crap out of the car when it was new or not.

Joe
Agreed Joe... although there are some indicators that might help reduce the risk of buying such a car. If you're lucky and buying from a BMW dealer, you might be able to talk them into letting you see the actual service documents (ie, original receipts rather than computer printout).. This can give you the original owners name/phone number who you can then contact (kinda sneaky, but hardly a severe ethical dilemma..:blink: ) A phone interview can be revealing. Also, early clutch replacement in the service records would suggest hard driving habits, possibly early on the clock. As you say, you can never really know, but doing some homework before buying can provide a reasonable confidence level.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts