BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had fuel injector failure last week causing broken valve spring. I think I saw another post where fuel injector failure caused broke rod?

How many of you have had a failed fuel injector issue?

I've had an 'increased emissions' error message for the past year which dealer hasn't been able to sort out. I'm thinking thinking that an 'increased emissions' error might be caused by an overzealous fuel injector spilling too much fuel into the cylinder.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I had the Increased Emissions warning along with the engine going into Reduced Power mode that was traceable back to 2 failed injectors as well as an ionic control module. In my case, the errors manifested themselves at high RPM...a complete PITA. Luckily, my SA is extremely thorough and authorized replacing all injectors and modules. The car has run incredibly well since then. I highly recommend starting here.

Good Luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had a serious problem with 3 fuel injectors... 1 of these 3 stuck open, the engine got into emergency mode, but I kept going slowly... Until cars started to warn me because there were flames coming out of my tail pipes...

Replaced all 10, since having a rich mixture can lead to serious problems (such as hydrolock). I think you should, at least, remove all 10 injectors, have them scanned and clean, and see if it fixes the warning.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-30.029561,-51.189435

·
Registered
534 Posts
No problems here. What kind of mileage are you seeing these problems at?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would like to know more about this. Is it worth replacing all my injectors as a PM.. I’ve been told just replacing the fuel filter is
Good enough. I am paranoid lol!
Thank you. I’m at 97k

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would like to know more about this. Is it worth replacing all my injectors as a PM.. I’ve been told just replacing the fuel filter is
Thank you. I’m at 97k
I had one fail around 80k, replaced them all because I'm also paranoid. They're cheap enough, and its an easy job......I say do it once one of them fails.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thank you. I’m at 97k
To my shock my fuel filter what I suspected was the original one, had a tamper seal. I thought I saw in the service history that it was replaced at 60k. It was at 93k when I found out a month ago. But since I took ownership close to 70k, I was pouring BG44K in the tank every oil change every 5k miles. While I was replacing the fuel filter, I also upgraded the fuel pumps with bigger AEM E85 compatible units - will be adding a flex fuel e85 system. Its been about 700 miles of mostly spirited driving and it is doing great so far. It actually feels like it pulls harder from the butt dyno, even my friend's butt dyno as a passenger - we both track sportbikes so it takes a lot to make us notice a difference. BUT it could be the rear tires - I now have 305/30's. I will be replacing the injectors as a PM since I found a set of new Bosch for less than $350.. for piece of mind.

20200128_181154.jpg

20200128_182231.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will probably be replacing fuel filter/injectors soon for peace of mind. FCP Euro currently has the full Bosch injector set for $348 if you're interested in replacing them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I will probably be replacing fuel filter/injectors soon for peace of mind. FCP Euro currently has the full Bosch injector set for $348 if you're interested in replacing them.
Yeah thats where I found them

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks guys.. how easy is it to replace the injectors? My mechanic told me that pulling them and cleaning them is just as good. What do you guys think? I just don’t want to spend unnecessary cash. I’ve already put 6+k in to PM

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I believe a stuck injector can ruin your engine as some here have proven that. I installed a direct fuel pressure gauge prior to the fuel rail and as I hook up my cetek charger when parking at home, I watch what the gauge shows. It spikes to about 90 psi when the motor is shut off and stays there for 5 or 6 hours. Slowly over 24 hours it maybe be down to 40 psi. If I have a stuck injector, it would drop to zero right away. Cheap and easy insurance I think. Plus if I had suspected fuel pressure issues, it would be easy to help troubleshoot. During a cold start, it's at 90 psi so I assume both fuel pumps are running then drops to 45 as the rpm's drop to normal idle.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Captain nice to see how you have instrumented this up. Is there a reason why you or others haven't been able to tap in to the built in pressure transducer that is built in to the fuel rail? I haven't had a chance to check this in the diagnostic tools so perhaps this is something you have looked in to over the last decade or so you have been on working on this platform.

I see the transducer on my LCI cars, perhaps this was not in pre LCI cars, but I'd have to believe that the PCM needs to know fuel rail pressure to calculate the pulse width for the injectors to meter in the proper amount of fuel for normal operation, so I assume this was there in pre LCI cars also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks guys.. how easy is it to replace the injectors? My mechanic told me that pulling them and cleaning them is just as good. What do you guys think? I just don’t want to spend unnecessary cash. I’ve already put 6+k in to PM
The injectors are so cheap it's not worth it to clean them IMO. I am not sure what going rate is in most areas but to clean 10 injectors here its going to be about $150. I was able to find new ones for about $310 shipped so it was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
QUOTE="gmtegear, post: 7591251, member: 343138"]
Captain nice to see how you have instrumented this up. Is there a reason why you or others haven't been able to tap in to the built in pressure transducer that is built in to the fuel rail? I haven't had a chance to check this in the diagnostic tools so perhaps this is something you have looked in to over the last decade or so you have been on working on this platform.

I see the transducer on my LCI cars, perhaps this was not in pre LCI cars, but I'd have to believe that the PCM needs to know fuel rail pressure to calculate the pulse width for the injectors to meter in the proper amount of fuel for normal operation, so I assume this was there in pre LCI cars also.
[/QUOTE]
The only reason I did this simple setup was right after Jim had a stuck injector and caused cylinder damage. My concern was maybe I could catch a stuck open injector before any damage can occur. It's in the engine compartment so I only look at it after I park at home.
Along the same lines, I also installed a digital oil pressure gauge in the glove box (in the glove box so it wouldn't take away from the original interior appearance of the car) so I could see where normal oil pressures are at idle and cruise. Over time if the pressure values started to drop, especially hot idle, then rod bearings might need changing again. I've done them twice so far. B&E the last time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I believe a stuck injector can ruin your engine as some here have proven that. I installed a direct fuel pressure gauge prior to the fuel rail and as I hook up my cetek charger when parking at home, I watch what the gauge shows. It spikes to about 90 psi when the motor is shut off and stays there for 5 or 6 hours. Slowly over 24 hours it maybe be down to 40 psi. If I have a stuck injector, it would drop to zero right away. Cheap and easy insurance I think. Plus if I had suspected fuel pressure issues, it would be easy to help troubleshoot. During a cold start, it's at 90 psi so I assume both fuel pumps are running then drops to 45 as the rpm's drop to normal idle.
Can you share some part numbers and pics for your fuel pressure gauge? A DIY would be nice too.. Thanks..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Can you share some part numbers and pics for your fuel pressure gauge? A DIY would be nice too.. Thanks..

Go to post 361. Took a while to find but I think this might help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guys I know probably dumb question. So theres 10 fuel injectors total so if I wanted to replace them all it looks like they are about 180 each?? I saw a post above where someone said they got a set for like 350? What am I missing ?
Thank you

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bosch

1 - 20 of 23 Posts