BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
35 E39 Cluster

I bought my my M5 last year of the original owner with 50,000kms. First thing i did was get a complete service. They quoted me 2500 Australian dollars to replace the cluster. Do you think I could get it done the same way you guys have. Who would I need to contact.

·
Registered
167 Posts
BMWNA Goodwill!

Hey All

I have an 02 M5 and I had the instrument cluster replaced at approx. 75k. Full BMWNA Goodwill, just 1 hour labor. I am the third owner of car.

Dan

·
Registered
51 Posts
instrument cluster

After applying for a replacement under the "goodwill" program BMWUSA call and offered to pay only 1/2 on parts. I must say I am disappointed that I did not receive the pixel cluster a no charge.

I bought the car last month. I am the 3rd owner, car is a 2000 M5 with 86,500 miles.

It's going to cost me $400 for parts and $88.00 for labor. It does not seem fair, as other have received part at no charge.

I have been loyal to the brand owning 5 different BMW's over the years and currently own 2 BMW's.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not commit to having the repair done, yet. I would call the BMWNA rep assigned to you and tell them you have been a loyal customer and have heard of fellow BMW owners having the dash gauge cluster replaced for labor only. They will probably say, sorry sir that is all we can do at this time. You should call at least a few times with the same interest in reducing the cost and emphasize your loyalty to BMW while being polite. After a few polite phone calls, hopefully they will "be able to work something out." I only got 75% but that is better than 50%.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a very polite conversation with the representative for my area, but still only 50%. I have call into the service manager at my local dealer to see if he can be of help. I will give it a few days and call the area representative again and see where it gets me. I am under the impression that each rep. has a yearly "goodwill" budget. Maybe his is done for the year. I will offer to wait until after the first of the year to have replacement done.

The reps comment was that he takes each case on an individual bases and based upon my case it only warrants 50%. But after reading this board, my case is no different that many other owners cases.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Paid $80 to have mine replaced about 2 years ago. High 50's for the milage.

-Ryan

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you want to find out whether or not BMW will cover your call - call them at 1-800-567-2691. That will take you BMW customer service Canada. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 1999 540i. First time I contacted them back in 2006 they only offered to pay 50%. I didn't go through with it and soon afterwards shipped out overseas for the military for a year. Came back, emailed them AGAIN in 2007 and had them bring my record back up. Spoke to a new guy, made a story about my friend being the one who inquired before and I'm inquiring on my own now. I think being in the military helped me out as well. They paid everything 100%, labor and all...

·
Registered
61 Posts
re: cluster fix

just want to share my recent experience with my cluster issue..

i got my cluster replaced about 200 miles ago from a local dealer. the service manager who happened to own an '03 beast was very polite and when i mentioned dead pixels to him, he had no hesitation looking at my cluster. he hopped in, turned the key, and said, 'yeah we can replace this for free, you'll just have to pay the labor'. his reasoning for replacing my cluster was that one of my mileage numbers was completely out, and according to the highway board or something (don't recall who he had mentioned), that was a safety hazard, and they had to replace it. so, after about 6 months of dealing with BMWNA customer service on and off who told me they would only cover 40% of the part unless i gave them the vins to my 2 previous bmws, i got lucky going to the dealership. in my case, i had so many pixels out that i couldn't read trip mileage, temp, or hardly any of the messages on the lower display. its worth a try, and im actually safe to say i enjoyed my experience at a dealership, haha...

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you want to find out whether or not BMW will cover your call - call them at 1-800-567-2691. That will take you BMW customer service Canada. Good luck!
I was under the impression that BMW Canada just says NO. My local dealer quoted me about $1300Can for the part when I asked less than one month ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2011 Pixel Replacement

I know its an old post but newer owners may be interested. I purchased my 2000 Dinan s2 from a private party in 2003 - Other than warranty repairs all work was done away from the dealership. I called BMW NA and their "goodwill" was 25% for the part. I should have fixed it years ago but I was too lazy to do that (pixels starting going out in '07 and there was plenty of talk on the board - labor was $128 and part (after discount) was $644.00. I tried to get more than 25% of the part but to no avail - we have a 2006 X5 that we bought from a dealer here in Atlanta so maybe that helped - Repair was done at Global Imports in Atlanta.

Cupholders and pixels - the e39s weakpoints...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Anyone reading old threads about pixel goodwill and BMW are wasting their time. The BMW dealer repair is only good for a couple years because they failed to redesign the part. My time sitting at the dealer more than once is worth more than any savings.

The proper aftermarket fix is under $500, fully warranteed and it's been re-engineered to prevent recurring failure. Any idiot can remove and reinstall the cluster with a $15 tool kit. It takes longer to drive to a dealership.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Can car be drive without instrument panel?
In an emergency situation (would ride motorcycle while down, but never know when a car is needed for something)...
Matt

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,

Where can you get the parts to fix the pixel issue? thanks....New to the forum and a new owner of a 2002 M5. I will make a thread with my new M5.. thanks again,

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

Where can you get the parts to fix the pixel issue? thanks....New to the forum and a new owner of a 2002 M5. I will make a thread with my new M5.. thanks again,
Doctor Bimmer has a thread where he posted a link to the ribbon. He also has a group buy going for the repair which is ridiculously cheap for what he does.

His DIY repair thread:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/257058-instrument-pixels-conquest.html

Group buy thread:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...new-pixel-repair-promotion-50-off-repair.html

61 - 77 of 77 Posts