BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
pixels changed

at 69k miles on my 2000 beast, done in 4/06 for cost of labor

apparently I did this just before they ran out of goodwill.........

ssomed

·
Registered
609 Posts
BMW's warranty is pretty clear ... 50,000 miles or 4 years. I don't quite understand why you guys think you should get anything for free after that. The fact that some have gotten it for labor only is a positive reflection on BMW, in my estimation.
The problem is that there is a design flaw where it would seem that a substantial number of E39's suffer pixel failure in their dash display. The reason that it should be considered a design flaw versus plain wear and tear is because the majority of owners will face this failure thru no fault of their own and that it can be reasonably expected that this type of problem should not occur i.e.- Other BMW models do not have this problem with the exception of the E39 and X5. It's not like my 17 year old E34 M5 has this problem...nor does my parents 18 year old E34 535.

As for the OP's question: I have a 01 with 80K miles- I have just started to show problems with the display loosing one row of pixels. However I have a Jaric display which I am sure causes more stress on the display unit and will instead try to fix it myself when it gets bad enough instead of seek out a good will repair.

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
151 Posts
my car has 82,000 KM's on it, I sent an inquiry, we'll see how they respond, I suspect it will not fair well :(

·
Registered
213 Posts
BMW's warranty is pretty clear ... 50,000 miles or 4 years. I don't quite understand why you guys think you should get anything for free after that. The fact that some have gotten it for labor only is a positive reflection on BMW, in my estimation.
Really? Perhaps if you weren't in the USA, where everyone gets it for labour only, you would see it differently.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Replaced under CPO. Mileage at the time was about 27K.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
replaced under warrenty at about 57k

·
Registered
241 Posts
'01 with just under 50k miles, done earlier this year, cost ~$100.

·
Registered
116 Posts
2000 M5 14k miles at the time. goodwill replacement June 2005. Paid 1hr labor. Initially I was offered a 50/50 deal but they quickly settled on a free swap.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Grey or black

factory replaces with the grey now. Initially I did not like it, but most of their newer models have this, and I am used to it now.

ssomed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last December BMWNA authorized pixel cluster replacement in both my 02' 540 at 97k and wifes 03 X5 at 74k. $100.00 for the X5 and N/C on the 540 after pointing out that the failure in my 540 display prevented a low coolant alert from showing. When I mentioned that this was a possible safety concern (stranded by loss of coolant) they quicky authorized the repair. Safety seems to be the word....

·
Registered
300 Posts
How is the quality of the rebuilt cluster? Does it look clean and well lit?

Last December BMWNA authorized pixel cluster replacement in both my 02' 540 at 97k and wifes 03 X5 at 74k. $100.00 for the X5 and N/C on the 540 after pointing out that the failure in my 540 display prevented a low coolant alert from showing. When I mentioned that this was a possible safety concern (stranded by loss of coolant) they quicky authorized the repair. Safety seems to be the word....

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
How is the quality of the rebuilt cluster? Does it look clean and well lit?
NO! Mine was an obvious remanufactured unit (the needles had been obviously cleaned, but it didn't show up until night time when I turned the lights on ... done in Warranty and free). (Most warranty items are replaced with remanufactured units ... true of all makes.) I was not happy and if it ever goes south again, I will buy a NEW one to have it replaced with. ($ 995.00 list, a little less than $ 800 with the BMW Club discount.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Replaced Yesterday

Mine was replaced yesterday. The car is an 03 M5 with Salvage Flood Damage. BMWNA picked up the cost of the part. I paid 57.50 for the labor. Plus I got an 06 X5 4.4 Sport as a loaner for the day. The dealer had to update the DIS from V39 to V44 (Surprised this wasn't done already, V44 is quite old already), so it took them a bit longer than expected.

Between my father and I, we have 5 BMW's. This was the detail that tipped the scale in my favor. The lady at BMWNA asked, "Do you have any more BMW's?".

I'm happy to say the least.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just noticed this morning that one row of pixels has disappeared from the main information display. I'm sure other pixels aren't too far behind. What number does one need to call at BMWNA in order to request a replacement cluster? Thanks!

·
Registered
624 Posts
oops, skipped over that one. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
There is a design defect, that is why the problem keeps occuring. Has to do with the ribbon inside. Seems worse when exposed to high heat, like the inside mirrors.
Regards,
Jerry

Funny how my cluster will display all pixels when exposed to high heat(after sitting out in the sun for a couple of hours) but then it will exhibit the missing pixels behavior when it is cold outside during the winter.

It's probably telling me that I live in the wrong climate and I shouldn't be driving it in sub sub sub sub zero temperatures!

Anyway, I have a friend who sells bimmers and will see if he can hook me up. I know it will probably come back, but if so, here I come VDO!

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I suspect the "goodwill" has something to do with "recall avoidance", hence the different posture by BMW depending on the regulatory/legal climate in each market...

21 - 40 of 77 Posts