BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

How many e39 M5ers are planning on moving up to the new M5 ?

• I am

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Im thinking about it

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I'll wait for a test drive before deciding

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I will unlikely move up because i cant let go cuz it doesnt come in manual garbox

Votes: 43 57.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was just wondering with all the manual gearbox argument how many are actually planning on buying the new M5 and how many are not.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ahhh how do u edit the options? I spotted a mistake

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Black,

I think i know two people that are not going to be moving up...

Oh and now that the car is for sure and that Im for sure not going to take my spot that I had...anyone want it? Im calling right now to confirm the number on the list in Melbourne, FL.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm going to get one, but not trade the e39 in I think. That way I can decide in the first few months whether to 'do a Ferrari' with it (I've bought a few in the past, kept em up to a year and sold em on for around book price new) or keep it like I did the e39.

The more I read about it, the less I'm bothered about losing the manual clutch. No rulebook ever said you have to have one to enjoy a car, and the fastest and most enjoyable new cars I've driven over the past few years have all had some kind of paddle shift...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm going to buy out the lease on my 2003 M5 (ouch!) and order a 997 Turbo when they become available. While it will end up costing me more to own the car than if I just purchased it from the start there is not another sedan on the road that I feel equals this car.

Before I got the E39 M5 I used to drool whenever I saw one. With the E60 I gag whenever I see one. I'd rather spend the $100K elsewhere.

·
Registered
283 Posts
03E39M5 said:
Except for HP, Im not convinced that the E60 M5 really is a move up :sad3:
Exactly.

And for some like me, the E39 is really faster than I'll ever need. I don't track and there's only so much power you can exploit on the street.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
You can forget about me! And don't ask me why! :grrrr:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Would love to get one, to bad in Finland the starting price is 137.000€. Just saw an example at the motorshow, with a little extra it was 150.000€, it's not worth that kind of money. In -99 the M5 E39 was about 120.000€, and after tax relief it came down to about 100.000€ in 2002...

So if we would not have had the car tax relief in -02 the M5 E60 would probably today been at 170.000€.

Anyway I think 137.000€ is too much. That makes about 175.000 US $!
And after a bit of goodies at 150.000€ it's 192.000 US $!!!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
Would love to get one, to bad in Finland the starting price is 137.000€. Just saw an example at the motorshow, with a little extra it was 150.000€, it's not worth that kind of money. In -99 the M5 E39 was about 120.000€, and after tax relief it came down to about 100.000€ in 2002...

So if we would not have had the car tax relief in -02 the M5 E60 would probably today been at 170.000€.

Anyway I think 137.000€ is too much. That makes about 175.000 US $!
And after a bit of goodies at 150.000€ it's 192.000 US $!!!!!

PASKA grrrrrrr

·
Registered
797 Posts
I probably will, but I'll keep the E39 since it's so special. Timing is an issue. I'm also thinking about an F car, so it depends on:

1) First test results from the E60 (by board members on US version of course).
2) Will F have something different when I am in a position to buy?
3) Can I do both at the same time (I'll know when I'm ready to pull the trigger on either.)?

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think I'll hang on to my present car until a few years down the road to decide... at this junction don't really consider it an upgrade instead of a roll-over of models...

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Already on the list at my dealer for over a year now.

When can we expect arrival in the Mid East and Europe, do you know?

I've been told next summer, here.

Price here should be competitive with the E55 if history is any judge and with the M5 having more options as standard than the E55. The company is faced with a weakened dollar and slow 5 sales here and must hold the line on pricing to move ten thousand cars over four model years. Yes, four years since the design trouble may shorten the seven year run to six years. They must recognize the Bangle design has cost them in some models. Month for year the August E39 sales of 2003 out paced the 2004 E60 substaintially, a great tribute to the E39 design.

I'm hoping/praying the US price will be no more than $80,000, stock.

BTW, just picked up a loaded Touareg V8, nice car and impressive fit and finish. Can't wait to do some serious off-roading.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
Already on the list at my dealer for over a year now.

I've been told next summer, here.

Price here should be competitive with the E55 if history is any judge and with the M5 having more options as standard than the E55. The company is faced with a weakened dollar and slow 5 sales here and must hold the line on pricing to move ten thousand cars over four model years. Yes, four years since the design trouble may shorten the seven year run to six years. They must recognize the Bangle design has cost them in some models. Month for year the August E39 sales of 2003 out paced the 2004 E60 substaintially, a great tribute to the E39 design.

I'm hoping/praying the US price will be no more than $80,000, stock.

BTW, just picked up a loaded Touareg V8, nice car and impressive fit and finish. Can't wait to do some serious off-roading.

Day dreaming right now, what if the E60 would only be 80k $ in Finland aswell.... Only 59k euro... I would not hesitate for a second..... Maybe I should move to the US? But Bush would probably stop me at the boarder thinking I'm a terrorist.
:hihi:

·
Registered
236 Posts
The bottom line is, it is all going tooooo electronic. Why cannot they just do more of a 'racing' option M5 ie. great engine/ suspension/ 4 pots/ wheels and strip out all that electronic sh*t.

I thought that there was too much sh*t on my old E34 M5 until I got hold of the E39 M5.

Is it just me or am I the only one looking for an ubersaloon without a computer to tell you to breath 5 to 8 times a minute???:(

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Before I got the E39 M5 I used to drool whenever I saw one. With the E60 I gag whenever I see one. I'd rather spend the $100K elsewhere.
My sentiments exactly. Although eventually my current car will wear out. :M5rev:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not me! Can't stand the 'new look' :mad: , getting too expensive :rolleyes:

I will keep my 2002 till it won't run no more! :M5launch:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jim Dolan said:
Well they keep pushing the dates back. now they are saying it will be march production and should arrive end of april/ early may.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts