BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
thank you for the info

maybey they have put to much boost on the engine or bad quality head gaskets.
I think with the new type geskets,and when not going higher then 1 bar the engine will last longer.
I will post pics soon of the build.

greatings

ruben
If you read that article, I believe that Dinan used a custom built copper head gasket and SS O-ringed the head. The cylinders are very close together so getting a good seal is very difficult. Compression was reduced to 7.8 from the stock 10.5. To get the low compression Steve Dinan had custom pistons built. They relocated the AFM to the right side so they could install an intercooler where the stock air filter is.

I actually took a ride in the turbo car in the article with Steve Dinan just after he finished the product. I was at Dinan Engineering asking about the stroker 3.8 L version he was also building. The turbo was EXTREMELY expensive at $20K OVER the base price of a car, and in the mid to late 80's this was really big money.

I'm sure some of the longevity problems where related to the low octane gas we have here in the US, as well as the problems getting 400 HP worth of fuel using that Bosch AFM. I know that with my car we are maxing out that AFM at 375 HP, so no matter how you tune the EPROM chips (or add larger flow injectors) you still cannot get linear airflow measurement if the AFM is mechanically maxed out against its stops. If you toss the Bosch fuel system and go to a Motec or similar system you can probably get around the fuel delivery problems. I have seen systems that use an E39 M5 style AFM with custom electronics to get higher airflow rates and higher HP.

Speaking with Frank Fahey about this (his shop has seen a number of blown Dinan turbo S38s) he suggested using a Mega Squirt or similar fuel injection/engine management system. Some do not even need a MAF as the use manifold pressure sensors, throttle position sensors, and RPM to determine fuel. He also suggests the use of an aux methanol system to quench detonation

·
Registered
161 Posts
bmw m635csi

Very Nice car

this car looks super good.red is a good colour to for the e24.especially with the chrome and the rs wheels and the full mtechnic bodykit.

greatings from Belgium.

Ruben

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've never seen one in Hennarot before - looks like a very nice example.
Thanks for posting.
What is the current mileage?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for late response.My Hennared M635csi has 143000km on the meter.I have no garanties for that it is right,but i have no reason to doubt it either.
The only "negative ?" about the car,is that it was imported from Germany i 1995 with some small body damages.Some special Norwegian import rules made it possible to use an 635csi with Norwegian papers and splice(not sure if it is the right english word,but the norw back bodyparts was welded to th M.)to tis car.This had to be done by authorized garages and only with papers from the authoroties .They follow the process before,under and after and write the registration papers ONLY if they have the measuring papers from the aut.garage.So nothing else than the sidepanels,backplate and the thrunk are from the Norw.car.The garage also had to characterize the VIN nr from the norw car on to the firewall on the M.But it had to be done with their tools and one from the authoreties were watching. So the reg papers says:BMW 635csi VIN nr ..... approved spliced with BMW M635CSI with VIN 1050005.All this had to be done in agreement with norwegian car authorities and BMW.I dont know if this were special rules for Norway,but anyway.BTW If someone would import a M635csi to Norway in 1995,it would be approx 20-25000Euro only in taxes.Pluss the price of the car.
I would like to hear your opinions and questions about the car,about rules for splice,value for this vs original.Or anything thats on your mind.(both pos and negative).
Best regards

·
Registered
884 Posts
I believe what you are referring to is a procedure called installing a rear clip, meaning another rear end from another car is welded onto the damaged car. This practice is frowned upon here in the states because if done incorrectly you end up with a mess, alignment issues etc. If done correctly it is actually a good way to repair a car with substantial rear end damage because you are breaking less welds apart and therefore replacing less welds. In most cases you can leave the entire rear of the car including trunk floor, frame rails, rear body panel and quarter panels intact and weld the two together at a factory seam which is not visible, in most instances under the rear seat. Then you splice in the rocker panels and the quarter panels in places where the factory would have seams. If done correctly the repair would be very hard to detect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your reply,Feld1128.Thats exactly how it was done with my car.I just had problem to explain in english.I also registrated that the fuel pipes had been cut right in front of the jack point.I have taken the backseats out for scheck,but i cant see anything that looks like "bad work". As i wrote earlier: Strict rules for those things in Norway.But thats ok for me.
best regards
enoksen

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anri, I've got one as well but no M. I finished up all the mechanics all suspension, engine, tranny, diff, h&r race springs, and a z3 short shifter with a new clutch/pressure plate, slave cyl, master slave cyl, pretty much anything you can imagine has been replaced. Soon I'll be getting a full respray with the M tech side skirts and rear bumper. I purchased the last M tech spoiler for the 6er from Germany :) got smiley headlights, new tailights, new dash, cluster, got a stereo system waiting to go in with new speakers, I've been doing everything to it. Oh and picked up an e30 M3 got evo cloth custom done inside. You'll see at SoCal Vintage meet.
more pix of this car!

Gorgeous cars gents!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't think I have added my car to the list, but I have an '85 M635, born Jan. of '85. Zinno and black interior. Currently my daily driver. She's in ok cosmetic condition, but I key a close eye on the mechanicals right now. At this stage I am in the planning phase of how I want to restore her, and occasionally picking up needed parts as I can find them.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
206 Posts
Picked up a 1 Owner 1985 Euro M635csi in Henna Red to match my 1988 E30 M3 in Henna

also got this 1986 Rare M635csi in Kaminrot

·
Registered
74 Posts
Man, how do you find 2 uncommon color M635's? The Karmin is nice, but I love the Henna! Please post more pictures. Thanks for posting!

Eric

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have just realised I hadn't posted pictures of my E24's.

Firstly an M635 imposter; it's a 1982 series 2 635CSiA but wears the full M635 front and rear spoilers as well as the wheel arch flares - I've had it over 18 years and it's currently in need of some tlc but it is a rare colour in Baltic blue and has genuine Recaros which have been re-trimmed with blue piping before I owned it. It's time with me hangs in the balance as I will see if I can sort out a few things on it to make it useful and reliable.

But I also have a 1985 M635CSi in Alpine white with Taurus red leather. I've had it about 10 years now and the photo's are from a few years ago but it has just come back from a full glass out weld, new wings, completely remove rust and re-spray. I'll take some fresh pictures when I get a chance but right now I'm enjoying driving it again - which it does beautifully and without any fuss.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Also which wheels are on the Henna rot one? Look nice.
Diamond Black Center, Machined lips, Original BBS RS GT 2 Piece Forged 18 x 8.5 ET 15mm with 10mm Spacers and Longer 40mm Bolts..

·
Registered
8 Posts
61 - 80 of 86 Posts