BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wander how many E24 M6/M635CSi Owners are in this forum ?

Best
Anri :thumbsup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am but this forum is very quiet for E24's. IMHO the bigcoupe forum is where most E24 owners post.

HTH

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am but this forum is very quiet for E24's. IMHO the bigcoupe forum is where most E24 owners post.

HTH

I am a member of bigcoupe forum. Seems like this is low on E24 ///M members

Anri

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job. One more E24 M6 owner hear :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm Here too Anri

Mostly over at the Alpina Board.
Taken the B7 Coupe out to SLO this Sunday for all German Show

Nice meeting you and yours in Paso.

Still waiting for those web addresses/phone numbers for exhaust and headliner people

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Do you know those throwing stars are on backwards, Saliya?

The chamfered edge should be at the leading edge of the wheel's rotation, not the trailing edge, as in your picture.

So many tyre shops get this wrong, not realizing these wheel centers were designed to draw air in as they rotate, for better brake cooling.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for the comment, Yes I do know that the T/S covers are backwards, the wheels came on one of my old 3.8 Euro M5 and the directional tires were installed incorrectly, I just had the tires balanced and had them switched as well...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Great - I see you've now updated the picture of your E24 above.

Looks soooo much better with those wheel centers correctly fitted!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anri, I've got one as well but no M. I finished up all the mechanics all suspension, engine, tranny, diff, h&r race springs, and a z3 short shifter with a new clutch/pressure plate, slave cyl, master slave cyl, pretty much anything you can imagine has been replaced. Soon I'll be getting a full respray with the M tech side skirts and rear bumper. I purchased the last M tech spoiler for the 6er from Germany :) got smiley headlights, new tailights, new dash, cluster, got a stereo system waiting to go in with new speakers, I've been doing everything to it. Oh and picked up an e30 M3 got evo cloth custom done inside. You'll see at SoCal Vintage meet.

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Anri, I've got one as well but no M. I finished up all the mechanics all suspension, engine, tranny, diff, h&r race springs, and a z3 short shifter with a new clutch/pressure plate, slave cyl, master slave cyl, pretty much anything you can imagine has been replaced. Soon I'll be getting a full respray with the M tech side skirts and rear bumper. I purchased the last M tech spoiler for the 6er from Germany :) got smiley headlights, new tailights, new dash, cluster, got a stereo system waiting to go in with new speakers, I've been doing everything to it. Oh and picked up an e30 M3 got evo cloth custom done inside. You'll see at SoCal Vintage meet.

Aram,

I am very happy for you. Wow you spent quite a lot of money for new parts ! I will call you tomorrow I need to talk to you for something.

I am happy you own E24 Euro model. Like the color too.

Anri

·
Registered
409 Posts
I used to have two 1985 gray market (Euro) M635s. Sold one and bought the E39 M5, but still have one highly modded E24 M635.

Description:

Dinan stage 4 suspension (springs, shocks, bars, adjustable rear subframe, de-camber plates)

Dinan 3.8 liter stroker modification rebuilt by Frank Fahey of Fahey Motorsports. 4.0 liter, 380 Hp, 400 ft-lbs of torque.

Original water buffalo interior.

LED fogs

Custom digital monitoring instrumentation in center console.

Custom steering wheel covering.

840i front brakes (BMW/Brembo) with 840 rotors, aluminum calipers

M Technic rear and side skirts

Custom "hard ball"/urethane control arm /reaction rod bushings

850 aluminum lower control arms

over 250K mi, I love to DRIVE this car!

Will post some pics later.

·
Registered
332 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Pics please, sounds lovely.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wow, especialy the engine.
More torque than the S62!

May ask more info how the engine is built ,also maybe a torque/hp dyno curve so i can drool :)

Thank you.
The motor started out as a 3.8 liter Dinan stroker that had about 100 K mi on it. I had it dyno'd at about 330 crank HP (from 287 HP stock). It was using oil so I needed it rebuilt. When I went to Dinan Engineering I was shocked to find they refused to rebuild my motor, even though they built the original. In case you don't know much about the Dinan motor, they took the original M88 Euro 3.5 liter motor and bored it to 3.8 Liter in combination with a custom built crank and custom pistons. It also used a special EEPROM in the ECU. One of the main reasons Dynan refused to rebuild had to do with the custom pistons, which were too expensive to procure, esp in + sizes needed for a bore honing or repair. It was designed for a 9.5 CR so it could use pump gas without detonation problems.

Since Dinan could not help me, I went to Frank Fahey. He is a very well known shop that catered to early 80's M cars. He Federalized (did the DOT and EPA certification) for many gray market M cars including the M1. He also owns his own modified M1. He invented the well known hardened crank hub pulley that fixed the OEM crank hub stripping problem at high RPM.

I contacted Frank and he told me he could bore my motor to 4.0 liters and get nearly 400 HP, and with that Dinan stroker crank, 400 ft-lbs of torque. He had just completed an E34 M5 and they got dyno numbers over these. Pretty exciting numbers so I decided to have him do the work.

We pulled the motor apart and found appaling wear in the main bearings (due to my exclusive use of Mobil 1). Frank warned me that oil is garbage and I have the bearing wear to prove it. We also found eccentricity in the bore of the cylinders (a Dinan screw up) as well as cracks in the block (another Dinan defect). The motor was completely torn down and blue printed. Frank installed his custom pistons (I think built by Mahle) and we put in new con rods as well. Frank can fill you in with more details. He is particularly anal about the bore circularity which results in very low (under 1 or 2%) leak down rates. The leak down rate of the Dinan stroker was over 30% in some cylinders. The final compression was about 10.1:1.

We also put in Shrick exhaust cams (leaving intake stock) and a UNICHIP aux ECU. This is an "add on" computer that is used in parallel with the Euro stock ECU. It has the capability to provide more fuel than the stock ECU can provide and is tuned on the dyno.

The car is in CA, so it had to be "smog legal" meaning it had to be clean enough to pass tough CA emissions measurements with a cat equipped. The SS tubular Euro headers were retained, but the flanges modified to fit the US M6 cats. When not using the cats, a track pipe (for off road use only) fits between the headers and the US center resonator/exhaust combo. I use a fully US exhaust system so I can bolt up the cats. The only issue I have is the tail pipe tips are not quite centered in the Euro rear M Technic valence.

I have the dyno charts somewhere but it was some time ago when the work was completed. As you can imagine, 375 HP with 400+ ft-lbs of torque really make this 3300 lb car scoot. It is extremely fast between 80 and about 130 MPH. Surprises a lot of E39 M5 owners.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts