BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was upgrading my rear subs to the 10" M-bass subs. They are the 8ohm DVC(as opposed to the older 2000 4ohm DVC version). I replaced my Nokia sub box for these subs, and for some reason, I think the Nokia hit harder. Anyway, I did some research and found out that there were 2 versions of the subs and that the newer ones which are 8ohm are a more 'tamed' version of sub. The setup is basically 4 40w 8ohm channels powering the 2 subs. My main questions is, was there a DSP amp that put out the signal in 4ohm?? Perhaps the older version? What would happen if i bridge the 40w channels to make 2 80w channels and wire the DVC subs to a 4ohm load? Can anybody shed some light on this subject, the information on this setup is very vague and not very informative anywhere i look.

thanks

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
While we're on the topic of DSP amps, I had a new system installed using some nice Total amps and we can't completely get rid of a baseline hiss - even with filters 'n stuff. The shop says the noise is generated by the DSP amp, and amplified by the new amps, and we can't bypass it without elliminating the funstion of the stock volume control knobs. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
nothing can be done.

There are 12 separate channels in the DSP amp.

The original Nokia subs each have a stereo amplifier dedicated to them..they have two voice coils. Each voice coil is driven by an individual channel, on a stereo amp. Therefore, two stereo amps, on the subwoofer. Do NOT combine the wiring, it could be very disaterous.

Palantirion: nothing much can be done about the noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts