BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't quite remember because it was a long time ago I read the articale but, 20872 M5's (e39) were produced and I think about of 6000 were shipped to the UK. This is a guesstimation

·
Registered
936 Posts
ECE (LHD): 7,895 examples produced from 10/98 thru 06/03
ECE (RHD): 2,595 examples produced from 10/98 thru 06/03
NA (LHD): 9,992 examples produced from 09/99 thru 06/03

So, looking at that there were only 2595 RHD M5's produced - pretty scarce!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Someone told me the other day that there are only c. 415 e39 M5s in the UK. I have no way to confirm this, but I do 1000 miles a week and literally never see another!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Perhaps BMW UK can answer that question?

How many countries would have imported the RHD E39 M5?

Ireland
UK
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Japan
?
?
?
?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone told me the other day that there are only c. 415 e39 M5s in the UK. I have no way to confirm this, but I do 1000 miles a week and literally never see another!
I've seen one ever since I've had my car. Was going down the M1 southbound pretty near Watford or London. Whoever it was had his hazards on by way of acknowledgement, I think I flashed my headlights in return. :haha:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
369 Posts
Maybe there is some way to ask the DVLA how many M5s are registered in the UK and Ireland. It would also be interesting to see how many had been either exported or written off!

·
Registered
936 Posts
The information must be there somewhere.

I know my car was ordered directly from Munich by the original owner - just to confuse things further :3:

It would also be nice to get a break down by colour;

Alpine White III (300)
Imola Red (405)
Jet Black (668)
Titanium Silver metallic (354)
Avus Blue metallic* (276)
Le Mans Blue metallic** (381)
Anthracite metallic*** (397)
Sterling Grey metallic**** (472)
Silverstone metallic*** (425)
Blue Water metallic**** (896)
Royal Red metallic*** (390)
Chiaretto Red metallic**** (894)
Oxford Green metallic (324)
Carbon Black metallic (416)

*thru 02/00
**from 03/00
***thru 08/01
****from 09/01

·
Registered
369 Posts
My 320d has to go in on Friday for an MOT, so i'll ask my tame BMW dealer if they can source the information, so watch this space....:typing:

·
Registered
630 Posts
The DVLA can provide the information as I know a member of the forum that my wife uses for her car got them to state how many of her car model were registered and how many were still on the road (155 were registered and only 149 were still on the road ,that particular model ran from 1999 to 2001 and it's only a Ford.)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Went to my local BMW dealership today and asked how many e39 M5s were imported. He says they are still being made and imported (!!!!!!!). So I said; 'No, e39 M5s', he replied; 'What is e39?'. ouichSad, isn't it? Anyway, I will continue with this and keep you posted....:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Went to my local BMW dealership today and asked how many e39 M5s were imported. He says they are still being made and imported (!!!!!!!). So I said; 'No, e39 M5s', he replied; 'What is e39?'. ouichSad, isn't it? Anyway, I will continue with this and keep you posted....:M5thumbs:
lol.. what dealer was this?? :eek:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Here is a wee bit of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M5

Also, you can figure that almost every place that was a british colony when cars were invented are RHD. Japan being the exception. They just did that to protect their car manufacturing in the beginning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts