BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the entries in the official thread also include comments, replies and questions, is there any way to figure out what is the net number of "registered" M5s on the board? It would also be nice to have a little database that we could attach to the forum that keeps track of things like:

1) Year
2) VIN
3) Color
4) Location
5) Owner
6) Current Miles at Date
7) Whatever else

I might be able to create a web based database that we could attach to the forum here, that everyone would login using the same ID, in order to register their car and perform queries such as:

1) How many Imola Red 02's are on the board?
2) What is the average mileage of all M5s on the board
3) Etc., Etc.

The problem as I see it, everyone would need to re-register their car in the database. The web based database I have in mind easily extracts to Excel for archival purposes too.

Thx, Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like your idea, but i think the VIN and owner name is too much info for potential fraud.

Maybe the last digits of the VIN and initials of the owner, production date, and in/out color combinations in addition to the other information is enough for an accurate database.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't thinking very clearly when I suggested the fields was I! Only the fields with asterisks would be required - we could adjust this to what we think best. Revised Suggestions:

1) M5board name *
2) Year *
3) Exterior Color
4) Interior Color
5) Factory Options
6) Other Options
7) Mileage
8) Mileage Date
9) When purchased
10) Others???

So, we could make just a few fields required, or whatever makes sense. And, I agree with CB2002, VIN and owner name is probably not a good idea.

Gustav, we could make the database accessible via a URL within a "sticky" thread, and I we would include the userid/password within the thread. There is no problem with the database going away, I am the CTO and can make this database available as long as I work there. And, like I said, the database exports to MS Excel easily at any time.

Steve

Gustav said:
Wow, that is alot of information if people would feel OK to leave this information out.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
sarends said:
I wasn't thinking very clearly when I suggested the fields was I! Only the fields with asterisks would be required - we could adjust this to what we think best. Revised Suggestions:

1) M5board name *
2) Year *
3) Exterior Color
4) Interior Color
5) Factory Options
6) Other Options
7) Mileage
8) Mileage Date
9) When purchased
10) Others???

So, we could make just a few fields required, or whatever makes sense. And, I agree with CB2002, VIN and owner name is probably not a good idea.

Gustav, we could make the database accessible via a URL within a "sticky" thread, and I we would include the userid/password within the thread. There is no problem with the database going away, I am the CTO and can make this database available as long as I work there. And, like I said, the database exports to MS Excel easily at any time.

Steve

hmmm So what information would we be able to extract from the database using the two fields mentioned above. What search benefits are there?
Is this worth the time and effort? I am not sure everyone would be providing information as some don't frequent the board that often which could skew the accuracy of this endevour. :blabla:

Excuse my ignorance but I thought I would chime in :cool2:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like any web portal, it is only as good as the data. Maybe we make the required fields a little more extensive so that queries and reports are more meaningful.

I was assuming (hoping) that as members saw the utility, they would add themselves to the database.
Another option, someone could sit down and probably within a couple hours, enter the data from the "How many beasts are there on the board" thread.
You asked, what could we do with the data? I thought of this when I was trying to figure out how many imola red M5s there are on the board. Or, more specifically, how many with imola/black interior? We cannot do this (easily) now. With the database, assuming the data is in it, it would be a cinch. Many other things could be easily queried:

1) How many beasts with eisemann exhausts?
2) How many beasts with PDC?
3) The list goes on, etc., etc.

Steve

Chuckc said:
hmmm So what information would we be able to extract from the database using the two fields mentioned above. What search benefits are there?
Is this worth the time and effort? I am not sure everyone would be providing information as some don't frequent the board that often which could skew the accuracy of this endevour. :blabla:

Excuse my ignorance but I thought I would chime in :cool2:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
sarends said:
Like any web portal, it is only as good as the data. Maybe we make the required fields a little more extensive so that queries and reports are more meaningful.

I was assuming (hoping) that as members saw the utility, they would add themselves to the database.
Another option, someone could sit down and probably within a couple hours, enter the data from the "How many beasts are there on the board" thread.
You asked, what could we do with the data? I thought of this when I was trying to figure out how many imola red M5s there are on the board. Or, more specifically, how many with imola/black interior? We cannot do this (easily) now. With the database, assuming the data is in it, it would be a cinch. Many other things could be easily queried:

1) How many beasts with eisemann exhausts?
2) How many beasts with PDC?
3) The list goes on, etc., etc.

Steve
Got it! I guess the question is how many people consider this a "want" or "need". For myself, I don't have a need or want for this information, but others certainly may. The ultimate goal will have to be congruent with what the needs and wants are for others which will determine the motivation for participation. We have the technology that it for sure. I imagine putting this together comes second nature to you ! :cheers: :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it is pretty simple. I already built a mockup and sent it to Gustav to take a quick look at.

I would want to request that a senior member or two help me with things like:

Colors available
Options available
Required fields

We could even setup a simple steering committe that recommends the structure to Gustav, who would then make the ultimate decision on disputed issues etc.

Thx, Steve

Chuckc said:
Got it! I guess the question is how many people consider this a "want" or "need". For myself, I don't have a need or want for this information, but others certainly may. The ultimate goal will have to be congruent with what the needs and wants are for others which will determine the motivation for participation. We have the technology that it for sure. I imagine putting this together comes second nature to you ! :cheers: :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
sarends said:
Yes, it is pretty simple. I already built a mockup and sent it to Gustav to take a quick look at.

I would want to request that a senior member or two help me with things like:

Colors available
Options available
Required fields

We could even setup a simple steering committe that recommends the structure to Gustav, who would then make the ultimate decision on disputed issues etc.

Thx, Steve
Sounds like you spend a lot of time in the corporate world. hiha Good luck with everything. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts