BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how low you guys drive in 6th gear. I sometimes feel i drive a little to low at times, when i am being lazy and come across a little traffic on the highway. But I go as low as 1500 for about 1 mile stretches, and accelerate back up in 6th, i dont 'over accelerate' but usually bring it back smoothly. I was just wondering how low you guys go? The assumption is level ground. Any input as to what is or is not good for the engine?

fas

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I think 1500RPM is fine if, as you say, you accelerate gently. I find myself leveraging the engine's torque more and more to save transmission and clutch wear and tear. 1-3-5 shifts, 2-4-6 shifts, roll thru stop signs in 2nd, never put the pedal in. It seems to take this all in stride. The biggest barrier for me is psychological.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oh, I pretty routinely pull from 1300-1500rpm. Engine doesn't mind.

From a stop, I'll get into first right off idle if the road isn't uphill.

I skip 5th on the way to 'real' freeway speeds pretty routinely, don't think I've tried a 2-4 upshift yet, 3rd is just too much fun.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I will go as low as 1500 rpm in every gear up and including 4th. I don't like to let the rpm's lag below 2000 in 5th and 6th. From the sound of the intake resonance it sounds like it is not happy below 2000 rpm in the higher gears, although it will still pull from those rev's.
Just got back from a 280 mile trip to a Florida State game in Tallahassee and kept it above 60-65 mph in 6th. Sure was fun passing people on the two lanes. Very easy.
According to the trip computer I averaged between 22.5 and 23 mpg. This was better than I expected since the car only gets about 15-16 mpg on my commute to work. Mostly city driving.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i'd let it fall to 1500 rpm in any gear, but thats just being lazy really...
another thing guys to have in mind when driving with low rpms is that an oil pump works relative to an engine speed, i.e. when driving with low rpms like 1500, it might not be providing enough oil pressure for proper engine lubrication, which is always the problem with racing engines, that they are supposed to be driven with high revs all the time to avoid lubrication problems.
M5's engine obviously is civilised enough to cope with that, but i prefer to keep it usually at 2500 rpms in any gear, to have a power instantly available and to be on the safe side with respect to an engine wear.
all above is only a suggestion, my own ideas, can anyone verify or reflect upon that with expertise??

------------------
SL

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey greg,
the 1-3-5 shift or 2-4-6 shifting i do quite a bit also, you somethimes just dont need the other gears, its overkill.

fas

ps. i think you need to change your name to gotitall or ttm5 or something.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I definitely don't go below 1500 in all gears, but it's usually above 2000 most of the time, especially 5th and 6th. When I ride with people who let their revs get below 2000, it makes me quiver (usually along with the car).

·
Registered
412 Posts
just make your engine happy and don`t be too lazy; 5th gear has a ratio of 1 to 1, 6th being really an "overdrive". With the hugh torque that the m5 has you could handle soft accelerations even with a 7th gear! but that`s just for saying "it could do it"; Overdrive is designed to "mantein" a speed, and only should be used to accelerate if you count with much torque (around 2000rpm in the m5). An alternative is to buy an automatic for the days when you "feel lazy"

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
everyone saying to be gentle in the lower rpms is right. generally I dont drive it below 2000, but sometimes if Im rolling Ill gently start off in 2nd.

ME

1 - 9 of 9 Posts