BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always fill up my car when there is more or less 10l to 15l of fuel left in the tank.

However, last weekend I got greedy and tried to extend the trip as much as possible to the get to my usual tanking station and enjoy the points on my gift card :D

Here are the pictures of the adventure:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Nice, looks like you have some healthy fuel pumps in your beast.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I ran out of fuel on the highway at 75mph..... swerved off the ramp, coasted down the hill, light changed to green, coasted throught the intersection and into a shell station.

Took 19.4 gallons.

Truth.

I think I ran it to 0.0 0.0 0.0 !

As far as the 19.5 being calibrated or accurate, who knows.

A

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
It really drives me nuts how I can park the car for the night with 95km estimated distance left and then in the morning I have 35 and the light is on. WTF? I know it's due to the dual tanks, pump whatever but this seems stupid. Why not just have a single tank? Ok, cuz they needed it straddle some mechanical parts. Fine, poor thinking on BMW's part. Boy I'm ranty this morning. Probably because I'm working on a Saturday. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you get the tank value readout to display?

·
Registered
205 Posts
It really drives me nuts how I can park the car for the night with 95km estimated distance left and then in the morning I have 35 and the light is on. WTF? I know it's due to the dual tanks, pump whatever but this seems stupid. Why not just have a single tank? Ok, cuz they needed it straddle some mechanical parts. Fine, poor thinking on BMW's part. Boy I'm ranty this morning. Probably because I'm working on a Saturday. :)
The fuel tank has to straddle the driveshaft... This is why there is a left tank and right tank with the extra siphon pump.

In the old days, fuel tanks were under the trunks in most cars.
Now, they are positioned under the back seat. This is for crash and fire safety.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The fuel tank has to straddle the driveshaft... This is why there is a left tank and right tank with the extra siphon pump.

In the old days, fuel tanks were under the trunks in most cars.
Now, they are positioned under the back seat. This is for crash and fire safety.
Yep, which means there is now an extra pump just to move fuel from one side to the other. More stuff to break down. It's an unfortunate pattern with newer and newer cars.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Cold start = less range in the morning. Warm engine always gives higher distance to empty on run home.

·
1,934 Posts
What Rick said. Imagine in the old days driving with the choke out. Until the engine's up to temperature then it's going to be a thirsty (thirstier) puppy...

Nothing else to add apart from bemoaning the fuel prices here in the UK. I try not to run that low because it doesn't hurt so much when I fill her up. But occasionally I get over 70 litres in, at around £1.25 a litre. Which stings.

YG

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Nothing else to add apart from bemoaning the fuel prices here in the UK. I try not to run that low because it doesn't hurt so much when I fill her up. But occasionally I get over 70 litres in, at around £1.25 a litre. Which stings.

YG
That's cheap when compared to the Shell 100 octane stuff I was using in Germany a couple of months ago! Well worth it though IMHO.... :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I was reading 11 miles to go on the dash this weekend before I managed to get to a Shell station. Cost me around $50 to fill up cherrsagai

·
Registered
12,932 Posts
This tank had the potential for over 500 miles, but I refueled with "only" about 4 gallons left!:biggrin:
Regards,
Jerry

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts