BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last post brought up a question: How long have you owned your m5? ever think about selling it, or are you a lifer?

·
10,457 Posts
my 91 US car i bought in '07, sold last spring to buy the M5 Touring. My 93 3.8 i've had for about 18 months. The 'ultimate daily driver.' It's a nice clean car but not perfect so i don't worry too much about using it. It's had paint work, the original buffalo interior was taken before the car was sent to the US. It's got some typical import/federalization stories.

I enjoy the 3.8's a lot, I have no plans of selling either, but never say never.

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Since I joined the forum in 2006 at the tender age of 21.

Tried to sell it once but changed my mind during the putative owner's test drive.

Never going to sell it unless I really have to...

Lantz

·
Registered
434 Posts
I purchased my first M5 about 5-6 years ago. It is an e39. I tried to sell her twice and could not. She will only stay in the family (can never sell). I purchased another e39 as a DD, but ended up seller her after I decided to keep my first e39. I then purchased an F10, which I plan on driving the doors off. And for my Christmas gift this year the e34. I have no plans on selling and don't mind to have quite a few cars in the stable. In Indonesia, where my e34 is, there are estimated to be about 12 e34 M5's alive and kicking. As the price of the e30's go up, the e34's will go up as well. So many great e34's were driven until the doors came off and were since scrapped. The e34, even though was produced in fairly high numbers, will be a great collectors car as it seems not many have survived the last few generations of M-lovers.

The only down side to vintage M cars, upkeep. Parts are either NLFS or ridiculously expensive. I hope these cars start an exponential rise in value to off set the money we spend on them. At the end of the day, this ratio always determines if the car stays on the road or is scrapped.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I bought my 3.6 in 2006 after having an E34 525 for a year. I can't see me selling it really, it's a garage queen now and only really gets used in the summer months. Every time I get in it I'm reminded how special it is.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Received mine 12 years ago not running so previous owner said to take it away. It has been abused by my sons and their friends all learning to drive a real car. I don't foresee me parting with it although the boys think it is time for something newer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Since 2007 3.6

I imported the mine from Japan with 29k kms, she now has 69k. Garage queen. Summers only. Outstanding shape. All options including complete leather and rear heated seats and sun-shades. Might test the Market in 2016 when she can be sold into into the States without federalization. Love the car, but if the price is right and I am temporarily insane...

Reactions: Elekta and 1day

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm in my 14th year! :M5launch:

Hope to pass on to one of my boys but if the right price comes along,,,,,,

Reactions: Elekta and 1day

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Bought mine 7 years ago - my how time flies.

Can't see me ever selling it, although it's getting used less and less nowadays, purely because my life has changed and I hardly ever need a vehicle!

Reactions: Elekta and Spyder

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not quite sure if I'm a lifer or not. I've had it 12 yrs+ - Bought it with 28K miles and now it's at 175K. It's been a great car and is both lighter and has less gismos than the later gen M5s, but the low/mid torque just isn't there. Certainly not too bad to do the rebuild but a 3.6 l motor without a turbo (can't get that through CA smog) just won't have the low end in a car this heavy. I've thought a little about one of the CA smog legal 430 hp LS motors and a 6 spd. I'd get the torque I want but it's a lot of work and would change some of the personality of the car. Since the motor is still strong I have a little more time to think about it...

Reactions: Elekta

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
15 years, never gonna sell.
Means too much to me and we've had lots of adventures along the way !

:)

Reactions: Spyder

·
Registered
821 Posts
I guess this is when I flew out to Oakland to drive it back as I kept the temp plate. I think I bought it from Chris French in 2006 though...it took a long *** time to get it across the pond and finally to Texas

and no I'm not going to clean up this mess today...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Bought the 01 M5 in JAN of 2011 and the 93 M5 in FEB of 2014. I'm pretty sure I'll keep them both until I can no longer put enough pressure on pedal #3 to change gears. I still find it amazing how different two cars in successive model runs can be so different.

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
453 Posts
Had my first e34 M5 (Diamond black) from 2009 and sold it in 2011.

After a 6 month dry period, I was lucky enough to acquire my current one. I simply had to have another one. Couldn't think straight without it. :D

Every time I take it out I simply fall in love with the car all over again.

I have tried to sell it before, but even I would admit that my price was ludicrous. Guess I really didn't want it to sell :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts