BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I am having a hard time picking a set of lowering springs for my M5 E60.
Dinan spring supposedly will work with EDC function, I am not sure if it is entirely true.
Also h&r spring gives a pretty low stance and supposedly it would mess up the stock shock fast.

Given the fact that the h&r springs are half the price of Dinan, I was wondering how long have you had your h&r springs?
Any issues? What's the mileage on your car?
Since I wanted to keep EDC function and I don't want to blow my stock shock.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Had mine for over a year. EDC is fine of course. Ride is a bit harsher. Bumper is lower so you have to be careful not to scrape on curbs. Look is great. I wish BMW had the original suspension at this height but with the softer ride quality of the stock springs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! When I said I want to keep EDC function I meant that I don't want to buy aftermarket shocks.
So if I get Dinan there is a chance I might get my shock blown?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had mine for over a year. EDC is fine of course. Ride is a bit harsher. Bumper is lower so you have to be careful not to scrape on curbs. Look is great. I wish BMW had the original suspension at this height but with the softer ride quality of the stock springs.
Wow that's good to know! Maybe I will go with the H&R, they are much cheaper and they look so good!
I never understood why bmw made that front look so high..

·
Registered
631 Posts
Same here. Previous owner put H&R springs on mine and they had close to 10k miles when I bought it. I've put over 5k miles on it at this point and they're still good. Like above the ride is a little harsher but isn't bad in comfort mode. The previous owner also had a front spoiler on the car but I had to take it off as I scraped on everything. I prefer to have the car lowered without the spoiler though vs stock ride height with the spoiler. If I didn't drive my car to work every day I'd consider leaving the spoiler on there, but I drive the M5 everywhere so it's not an option for me.

T

·
0 Posts
I currently have a set of shocks on my M5 with the blue H&R springs which are more aggressive that the black ones I am told.

Total mileage on the shocks is 108k miles. It rides like my E46 M3 did, needless to say they are worn out, blown, whatever you want to call it. EDC does not function at all at this point, lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here. Previous owner put H&R springs on mine and they had close to 10k miles when I bought it. I've put over 5k miles on it at this point and they're still good. Like above the ride is a little harsher but isn't bad in comfort mode. The previous owner also had a front spoiler on the car but I had to take it off as I scraped on everything. I prefer to have the car lowered without the spoiler though vs stock ride height with the spoiler. If I didn't drive my car to work every day I'd consider leaving the spoiler on there, but I drive the M5 everywhere so it's not an option for me.
Yea I feel you. Front spoiler is always a killer if you lower your car. I used to block all the other cars when I get on and off ramps lol. H&R does give an aggressive drop, but I am glad to hear it is working fine with the stock stocks! Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I currently have a set of shocks on my M5 with the blue H&R springs which are more aggressive that the black ones I am told.

Total mileage on the shocks is 108k miles. It rides like my E46 M3 did, needless to say they are worn out, blown, whatever you want to call it. EDC does not function at all at this point, lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks for the info!
108k is a lot of miles. If it weren't for the bigger wheel gap in the front I would never get any aftermarket suspension but... Anyway if I just replace the springs with h&r and keep the stock shocks I doubt that its cornering speed is going to be better than stock setup. The stock shocks are designed to work with stock springs and if the spring constant and length are changed the stock shocks are probably not going to work that well.

E46 M3 rides pretty harsh though, does the ride get more and more harsh as you put miles on the stock shocks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts