BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post often on here, but I was wondering if there is a generally accepted amount of miles that a waterpump lasts. I've been going through the maintenance records from the previous owner (he drove it from 20k to 135k miles) and I see thermostat, I replaced radiator and everything else just not the waterpump. I'm at around 155k miles. (Wow it seems like just the other day it was at 140k).

I plan on driving the car for at least 7 more years. I have been saving up for rod bearing because the forums scare me. Everything works great right now and just want to keep it that way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
They last until they break :) Typically they will leak from the bearings and there is a weep hole so that the leakage will be visible and there is usually plenty of time to catch it before any serious problems develop.

They are a very simple device so there is not much that can go wrong.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
If you gonna replace the pump, replace the T-stat as well and possibly the O-rings on the heat exchanger. I hear that if you wiggle the exchanger those old O-rings break very easily without you knowing it until about 10 min after start-up.

·
Registered
968 Posts
They last until they break :) Typically they will leak from the bearings and there is a weep hole so that the leakage will be visible and there is usually plenty of time to catch it before any serious problems develop.

Agree 100%! Some of us tend to treat our M5s like a member of the family though and tend to go overboard replacing things (M5London?). In the last year I've replaced the radiator tank because the plastic was discolored, the engine mounts because they were starting to crack, the engine oil pan because I would get a drop on the garage floor once a month, the chain tensioner because it's an easy DIY, radiator hoses because they were looking old, the guibo because the BMW dealer had a special on that (they love to see me drive in), driver's door side weatherstripping, oh yes, new floor mats every two years, engine oil every 3000 miles .......OK OK I'm OCD about my M5.

·
Registered
86 Posts

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST
When I had the WP off over the winter I could see wear marks/ pitting in the casting behind the impeller, didn't look to be from rubbing and I've had no temp problems since reassembly, I took pics but need to search hard to find them. The cost re-manufactured (supposedly) for a BMW water pump is $375 -- I'm waiting till it weeps to replace.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Mine did 182k mile run ( 11 years )
Outlasted 3 thermostats and 2 radiators.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm more of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type person. If I know it's imminent I'll replace it before it happens. The rod bearings scare me the most because an engine would cost basically what I paid for my car.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Do the rod bearings have same problems as early s54 engines?
There have been some documented failures of rod bearings on the S62 but nothing close to the S54/S85 debocle.

I would get a Blackstone oil analysis if you are worried about it, but otherwise the only real issue per se with the earlier S62s is they tend to burn a little more oil due to a looser piston ring design. However, some will say this causes less frictional loss so it may not even be a "negative" if you dont mind checking the oil every fill up (what else are you gonna do while waiting at the pumps? :)). Personally, I would have no preference facelift vs. pre-facelift when it comes to the engine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if I have a 2001 and change/check oil regularly you think my rod bearings are fine

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jeez, there are only genuine bmw thermostats for S62's? Lol. Guess I'd wait till it croaks as well. On my M3's I always replaced it when I did the thermostat (usually at ~80k intervals).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea, I haven't done an analysis on them. If you want some peace of mind, next time you do an oil change send some to Blackstone to analyze :)

So they could say hey we found rod bearing in your oil? This sounds too good to be true only being $25 definitely doing that

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
They can find certain types of metals in the oil which will give a good estimation on which parts of the engine are wearing since different parts of the engine are made of different alloys.

I know many get Blackstone analysis done at every oil change, at $25 theres no reason not to. If you have any further questions you can PM or make a thread, I dont wish to hijack this thread! Sorry OP :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They can find certain types of metals in the oil which will give a good estimation on which parts of the engine are wearing since different parts of the engine are made of different alloys.

I know many get Blackstone analysis done at every oil change, at $25 theres no reason not to. If you have any further questions you can PM or make a thread, I dont wish to hijack this thread! Sorry OP :)

I am the OP, I don't like to crowd the forums up with a bunch if different topics started by me. I would appreciate it if you could go on about blackstone. I will edit the title accordingly.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Ah, just assumed you were not OP because it was a totally different topic than it started with. Been enjoying the day off myself... can you tell :cheers:

Heres a great example of an analysis done on a different car (S54):

I havent had an analysis done in a long time, havent had a car worth doing it to, but as you can see its very thorough and based on the different types of metals they can determine what is wearing and how badly. I've never had one of mine come back with anything negative, so I havent looked too in-depth into what all means what, but I think the comments in the analysis in the example above, and in the threads below, explain it very well.

Here are a few threads from members getting Blackstone analysis done on S62's:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...9029-blackstone-oil-analysis-bmw-5w-30-a.html
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...665-blackstone-oil-analyst-expert-needed.html
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...7961-blackstone-analysis-2001-126k-miles.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts