BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the Xenon headlight bulb from my 2001 E39 M5? The harness comes off easily but the bulb is tight. Also hard to see how it is inserted/removed due the rubber boot around the bulb and since the headlamp is self leveling it is somewhat flexible and I am afraid of breaking it. Is it just twisted harder counter-clockwise to loosen? Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! Thanks Zero. I searched on this site prior to posting but the link you sent did not show as I think they never mentioned Xenon. I see that the rubber boot is pulled off!! Going to do it right now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice! Thanks Zero. I searched on this site prior to posting but the link you sent did not show as I think they never mentioned Xenon. I see that the rubber boot is pulled off!! Going to do it right now.
No worries. Welcome to the forum. The search can be your friend but It's a tricky mistress :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
BE CAREFULL! THIS IS HOW MANY BREAK THIER ADJUSTERS!!! I almost think its worth removing the headlight to do this with a clear view of shat you are doing (you will have to do much more than this if you break the adjuster)...You don't want to put too much torque or lateral force on the moving unit trying to get the bulb out.

·
Registered
911 Posts
BE CAREFULL! THIS IS HOW MANY BREAK THIER ADJUSTERS!!! I almost think its worth removing the headlight to do this with a clear view of shat you are doing (you will have to do much more than this if you break the adjuster)...You don't want to put too much torque or lateral force on the moving unit trying to get the bulb out.
You are absolutelly right. Easyest way is to remove frontlight. Have to remove 4bolts, 5min job and helps alot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When removing headlight, don't overlook the bottom cosmetic rail trim below the lens. That end part hooks behind the fender sheetmetal flange. Very easy to break off the plastic hook if headlight isn't rotated at that point to remove.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not remove the headlights and once I got the link to show the rubber boot removed it was a 5 min job for both. I have the Dinan CAI so the carbon fiber intake pipes are close to the bulbs but not half as bad as othe lights like the blinkers... Not sure how tight it would be with the stock air filter box behind it. My adjusters seem OK but I tried to adjust the lights up a little but it really did not move. I searched the forums and was a littl confused as it seems the adjusters are just the little white screws and my gears seem to work but nothing happens. I think I may have damaged them previously taking the light out as I did not know the tiny side marker was connected to the angel eyes bulb. The dealer told me there was a bulb there, but no, it is fiberoptic connected to the angel eyes. My Angel eyes were down as the Umnitza resistor failed. I did not know that was linked to my front running light.... until I took the whole light apart.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
When removing headlight, don't overlook the bottom cosmetic rail trim below the lens. That end part hooks behind the fender sheetmetal flange. Very easy to break off the plastic hook if headlight isn't rotated at that point to remove.
I'm pretty sure both of mine are broken, as I didn't know this when removing my headlights. Know of any way to fix? Thanks...

·
Registered
750 Posts
First, verify if yours are broken by gently attempting to wiggle the back of the bulb socket up/down and sideways (with lights off to avoid a shock). If you get movement at least one of the adjusters is shot. This is a much quicker and reproduceable procedure over trying to use a screwdriver to slowly move the adjusters with the headlights on.
Second do a search. I wrote up a DIY as well as others (on this board and on other boards). You can buy metal adjusters by a board sponsor as well (see group buy section).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks, although my adjusters are fine. I misfit the cosmetic trim below the headlight when putting everything back. I will probably take it apart again soon and try and re-align them. My lower back remembers how fun that was the first time around :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts