BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Faz used to be a powertrain engineer for Aston Martin and I believe has rebuilt several S38's. Discussions with him give assurance of his exacting standards in all matters automotive, and M5 in particular.

As he says, he has also had the opportunity to gain some insight into the engines first hand from their creator, Paul Rosche.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I don't think one day with Mr Rosche qualifies anybody as a guru. The best engine builders are those who do it day in and day out. Somebody with motorsport experience may not be the way to go, but somebody who has worked on V8's and 90's engines would be my choice. As for names that is a tough one. If you want a straight rebuild that is simple, if you want improvements that is harder.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't think one day with Mr Rosche qualifies anybody as a guru. The best engine builders are those who do it day in and day out.... but somebody who has worked on V8's and 90's engines would be my choice. As for names that is a tough one. If you want a straight rebuild that is simple, if you want improvements that is harder.
Very sound observation, though I didn't specifically recommend him as an engine builder but as a conscientious automotive engineer with decades of experience who works on your car as if it was his own, and that was true before the one day with Paul Rosche.

I would like to ask why you'd recommend someone who works on V8's though? After all, Rover V8's were contemporary to the S38, but whereas I'd happily have a crack at that 60 bhp/litre ex-Buick motor (while not recommending my services to anyone else mind!), I wouldn't go near an S38. There are of course multi-valve V8's from the 90's, but they are also very different engines to the S38; for example BMW and Jaguar V8's are more modern with variable valve timing and alloy blocks with nikasil bore prep.

This is however a very interesting topic and I would be grateful for any names you would be prepared to recommend as high-performance engine builders in the UK.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Interesting discussion. Personally If it was my money, it would only go to a company that consistently works on E34's which means either Faz or
Noel Butler a company in the midlands called NCB AutoKraft - you need people that know the 'quirks' of these engines, such as fitting the later timing chain tensioners etc.

As said earlier, Faz does treat any car he works on as his own (he has done some stuff on my CSL as I simply don't trust the dealer network to do the valve clearances correctly) and if you are prepared to wait (he tends to have cars stacked-up to the hilt) he is well worth it.

Best

Jonathan

Reactions: e28s38b36

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Interesting discussion. Personally If it was my money, it would only go to a company that consistently works on E34's which means either Faz or
Noel Butler a company in the midlands called NCB AutoKraft - you need people that know the 'quirks' of these engines, such as fitting the later timing chain tensioners etc.

As said earlier, Faz does treat any car he works on as his own (he has done some stuff on my CSL as I simply don't trust the dealer network to do the valve clearances correctly) and if you are prepared to wait (he tends to have cars stacked-up to the hilt) he is well worth it.

Best

Jonathan
I too had used the dealers, Munich Legends but after using Farrell I felt truly at ease, his knowledge and the fact the HE is working on my car makes me travel the 70 odd miles each way to him.even meaning getting public transport too:crying::crying:

Rates are good too

I will add though that I rebuilt my engine in 2002 with the aid of Targa Autos in Wembley 02089039589. I am friends with the proprietor and he is a good guy but he doesn't do these engines a lot, in fact mine was the last he did! Still strong nearly nine years and 40k later.:applause:

Would trust Faz more though as Jonathon remarked he does these day in day out.

Reactions: e28s38b36
1 - 9 of 9 Posts