BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and while I suppose I could copy and paste the entire blog article here, I prefer to give a link. Since I don't sell advertising on my personal blog or promote anything in particular that will hopefully not be adverse to the forum policies here. In short this is an in depth article about the process (and money I spent) dialing in my 2008 M3 for track days. I'm in the yellow run group so I'm a good driver, but not a great driver. Bought new wheels, tires, went with racing pads, SS brake lines and better brake fluid and in the beginning had nothing but problems. Looks like my problems might be over finally. Last thing on my list is a front brake kit since the M3 stock brakes are just lame for the track (single piston calipers, rubber lines, no vents for airflow, etc..). In all fairness they are great for street use and will put me though the windshield but they simply cannot hold up on the track under any rigorous conditions.

Here is the story of the tires and wheels
BMW M3 (E92 E93) Racing Slicks and Racing Wheels

And here is an older story about the stock brakes
Why the “stock” BWW M3 E92 or E93 are simply not track worthy

I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning here as well. Been reading this forum for a while now and felt it was time to give back.

~ John

Attachments

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Nice Post!

So what brake kit did you go with???...or did you not.
I also think TMS is a great place...they have 100% equipped my ex 95e36M3 track car.....
Curious as to why you did not get the forgeline wheels 18x9.5, from them as they are a better fit for 275/35/18 tires. That size BTW is the exact size of the E39M5 rears that many of us have placed up front as well to eliminate the oversteer/understeer issues of staggered set-up.
I agree with you 100% about the E92/e93 brakes...I too swapped out pads & fluids and it was a waste of time...after some really hot laps the brakes just faded....but not before the tires...lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have not bought the brake kit yet (looking at the StopTech for the fronts) and plan to wait until next season (early Spring). If I recall, the Forgeline 18x9.5 (ZX3R I think??) wheels were close to $1,000 each, they have to be ordered for the car and weigh in at 20.9 lbs each. The D-force are forged as well and cost under $300/wheel and only weight 17.8 lbs each. All tests indicate they are super strong and will last on the track as well as any wheel out there. I went with the 18x9's at the advice of TMS and Autoscope. They both said those are perfect for the 275/35/18 R1's and obviously the smaller you go, the lighter they are. 17.8lbs is seriously light!! It would have cost me an extra $2,500 to lug around another 3.1 lbs of unspring weight on EACH axle. It was a no brainer for me and a bunch of guys (mostly instructors and red run group guys) at the track had these wheels and swore by them. That $2,500 almost covers a Stoptech big brake kit up front.

There is a definite method to my madness :biggrin:

So what brake kit did you go with???...or did you not.
I also think TMS is a great place...they have 100% equipped my ex 95e36M3 track car.....
Curious as to why you did not get the forgeline wheels 18x9.5, from them as they are a better fit for 275/35/18 tires. That size BTW is the exact size of the E39M5 rears that many of us have placed up front as well to eliminate the oversteer/understeer issues of staggered set-up.
I agree with you 100% about the E92/e93 brakes...I too swapped out pads & fluids and it was a waste of time...after some really hot laps the brakes just faded....but not before the tires...lol.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Have not bought the brake kit yet (looking at the StopTech for the fronts) and plan to wait until next season (early Spring). If I recall, the Forgeline 18x9.5 (ZX3R I think??) wheels were close to $1,000 each, they have to be ordered for the car and weigh in at 20.9 lbs each. The D-force are forged as well and cost under $300/wheel and only weight 17.8 lbs each. All tests indicate they are super strong and will last on the track as well as any wheel out there. I went with the 18x9's at the advice of TMS and Autoscope. They both said those are perfect for the 275/35/18 R1's and obviously the smaller you go, the lighter they are. 17.8lbs is seriously light!! It would have cost me an extra $2,500 to lug around another 3.1 lbs of unspring weight on EACH axle. It was a no brainer for me and a bunch of guys (mostly instructors and red run group guys) at the track had these wheels and swore by them. That $2,500 almost covers a Stoptech big brake kit up front.

There is a definite method to my madness :biggrin:
I did not realize that they were heavier....I know they were more expensive...lol...
Stop Techs are GREAT....I had them on my E39 M5 and the only way to stop that car quicker was to hit a brick wall. I also had Brembos on my E36 M3....and they were very reliable as well.
I dont believe I will invest any serious money in my E92M3....other than Pads/Fluids and the track wheels/tires for the car.....I recently sold my E36 to make room for a 04 GT3....NOW I will be spending some $$$....LOL
Enjoy your E93!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My original intent was not to track it but I've found that this car works great for weekend fun with the wife but it has a big enough ball sack to still be very competitive at the track. I run occasionally against a friend who has an 08 coupe with straight pipes, no cat and we were neck and neck throughout. When I put on the slicks he couldn't keep up. The few seconds I might be able to shave per lap is outweighed by cruising around with my wife, top down, dog in the back on a beautiful day. Also makes it super easy to put (3) slicks in the backseat and (1) in the trunk which I think might be impossible if it were a coupe. At the track I run with the top up which helps with the rigidity but I see no *huge* difference at all.

Thanks on the m3post. I'm fairly new to posting and had been here before so.. it made sense.

Why did you go with an E93 if you intend to track? Don't you think that extra 400lbs on the roof makes a huge difference? Plus structural rigidity, etc.?

Also it seems like you like sharing your experience, you should take a look at m3post - they are more active as a forum for the E9X owners.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Godo idea :) I never thought the BWM M3 Convertible as a versatile car on the lines of a M5 Touring. Now I do :)

Also makes it super easy to put (3) slicks in the backseat and (1) in the trunk which I think might be impossible if it were a coupe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very interesting, I have an 08 Coupe now tuned with a bunch of mods. I run slicks on the track as well and it has been performing very well. I drove the E93 once from in the dealership and I felt that there was a significant difference in terms of acceleration and handling on the street - which I thought might translate to the track.

I also went out to a private drag strip event and managed to run a 12.2 on street 19" tires (first time out to a drag strip) with Launch Control while my friend with the E93 with DCT could run mid to high 13s... somewhere close to 13.7 was his best time.

I carry 5 wheels to the track in my coupe with tires on (one spare).. with the back seats folded down, you could fit four in the car and one in the trunk.

Glad to hear the E93 can keep up on the track! I definitely agree that cruising in the vert with the roof down is way awesome than driving with windows down.. also the sound of our engines/exhaust on full throttle is priceless.

My original intent was not to track it but I've found that this car works great for weekend fun with the wife but it has a big enough ball sack to still be very competitive at the track. I run occasionally against a friend who has an 08 coupe with straight pipes, no cat and we were neck and neck throughout. When I put on the slicks he couldn't keep up. The few seconds I might be able to shave per lap is outweighed by cruising around with my wife, top down, dog in the back on a beautiful day. Also makes it super easy to put (3) slicks in the backseat and (1) in the trunk which I think might be impossible if it were a coupe. At the track I run with the top up which helps with the rigidity but I see no *huge* difference at all.

Thanks on the m3post. I'm fairly new to posting and had been here before so.. it made sense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yours will not be able to fold down.. only coupes can do that. You can however open the center part of your seat to fit Skis/Snowboards..

11343_195589674847_677009847_3990433_4202065_n.jpg

Anyways, here's a picture of my car with some of the mods I have

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
car is at the shop now getting a Fabspeed exhaust set-up(race cats & resonator delete aka x-pipe) will post up pics/video when done later.
They say with the BMC filters you see some decent gains....wonder what the butt-dyno will say....lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fabspeed x-pipe is pretty solid, drop in filters actually make the throttle a little more responsive.. you will love it.

I'm currently running fabspeed x-pipe and macht snell filter with a bunch of other mods. My x-pipe is unresonated though, so it's a little louder and raspier which I absolutely love.

Enjoy and you will have a blast! i can guarantee that you will rev your car higher and more often.. hahaha it's so temping to rev the car more when you have a louder exhaust just to enjoy the sound. Funny by the sound of the exhaust really enhances the driving experience

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
Stock BMW brakes are pretty low standard compared to the rest of the car, I cant understand why they are still using this low budget stuff when there is alot of good stuff around. Im sure that buyers of M-cars would be glad to shed out 500-1000 extra for 6-8piston kits from Brembo if offered.

I for one cant say that I have experienced brake fade :D I believe I was the 1st one in the world to run Ceramics on a BMW. One upgrade I dont regret.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts