BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a drive to work this morning, the roads were slick from heavy rain this morning and everytime I drive, I always do the 2 finger salute and hit DSC off and Sport mode on.

Around the bends this morning, the back kicked out and I did a 30 foot continuous drift by accident--drifting one way and then the other. The roads were deserted but good thing with what little car control skill I have, I got the beast under control but DANG it surprised the hell out of me...

I'm loving that M differential. Any of you experience a performance surprise as well?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I too drive under normal conditions with the sport on and DSC off but living in the northeast and being a snowboarder I often drive in less than ideal conditions in the winter. I've never owned a vehicle that wasn't manual transmission and rear-wheel drive so I've always known just how to handle them when need be. When I first bought the M is decided to see just how good the stability program is and was (and continue to be) simply amazed by how it performs even for someone who would push it too hard not knowing what they were doing.

Once on a new years ski trip to Vermont I was splitting driving duties with a friend who had driven my car once before in the summer. The roads were snowy and they were only 25-35 mph local routes and he was being extra careful. I told him how good it was and that he should just try to mash the pedal and keep the wheel pointed where he wanted to go and she wouldn't let us down. He reluctantly tried it and it was kind of cool to see the shock and awe on his face. He said it was like the car aimed itself. "How the hell does it know where I wanted to go?" It was impressive to say the least.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
good thing with what little car control skill I have
Take a few high performance driving schools. Best money you will ever spend and the most fun you can have in a car.

I did many many schools as both a student and instructor in my '99 E39 528. 190 horsepower, no torque, the same great balance and control of the M5. It was a blast. I should never have sold that car. Ah... live and learn.

To answer your question - yes, the first time I did a WOT acceleration from stop up through 3rd gear. Amazing!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
"How has your ///M5 surprised you?"

By not breaking down in nearly 200,000 miles.....

Seriously though, I had a 120 mile thrash across some twisty little roads today and it does still surprise me just how well this car can dance for a ten year old, 1800Kg saloon car.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I love it when I call my car a saloon. Not many people here know what that means.

·
1,946 Posts
Running out of fuel 2 miles short of the services on the autoroute in Belgium...with 24 miles range showing on the dash.

That was a surprise.

Pushing the f*cker a mile uphill until some very kind chap (another Brit) stopped and gave us a tow. The surprise was just how heavy 1800kg actually is.

Never going below 110mph for the rest of the journey and still getting better than 25mpg was the nice surprise part. Though whether I can trust anything relating to fuel consumption, range or anything else right now is up for debate...

YG

PS I believe, in fact, that the crossover pump is either blocked or knackered. It happened to the old one, too. Apparently a simple fix and one to put on the list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.