BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty self-explanatory title. What new traits, characteristics, rituals, or knowledge have you picked up because of the M5?

As for me:

Learned how to drive stick

First car (that I owned) that gave me the mod bug

Learned to do some DIY (like changing headlights, making connections, etc).

Made my commute not boring at all (probably because of stick?)

Made me not care about the odometer unless it's for gauging when I need an oil change. Mine just passed 64k and I don't give a damn, whereas I would start to worry about passing 60k in my previous cars.

Learned what a "driver's car" feels like

Learned to appreciate DSC when it goes "settle the hell down!" and fixes the mistakes I make when I drive this car like my old 250hp Altima.

May have some more, but I'll post later. Oh, and the obvious one....got me involved in this amazing M5 community :cheers:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
It has had a profound effect on my wallet...:rolleyes:

But every dollar spent has been oh so worth it! :thumbsup:

It has also allowed me to take procrastination to a new level (M5board)....:rolleyes:

But every minute spent on the board is oh so fun! :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Dave

Reactions: EM5PWR

·
Registered
227 Posts
More Free Time!

Ever since I got my M5, I have no interest in reading the classifieds, browsing CARS.COM, Autotrader, eBay, etc.: I already have the best possible car - no need to look further. Of course, I now spend a lot of time on sites like this, looking for the next mod!

·
Registered
430 Posts
My M5 made me settle down a LOT. I became less aggressive of a driver. In my Jeep and my Camaro I was a bit of a lunatic in both (though the Camaro bit could just be the age thing). I don't speed excessively anymore. It's relaxing.

It also gave me far more depth in terms of appreciation for the automobile. I love the understated looks, with the sports car performance and the four door saloon practicality. I don't think a car has to look like a cruise missile with wheels or a jet fighter or a stingray to be an attractive piece of work.

·
Registered
730 Posts
lightened my wallet
made me fall in love with torque
who would have thought I would ever lust after headers...
what a great car...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Though I grew up with American muscle cars (first was a '69 Chrysler 300) my last car was a '98 740iL. I was completely sold on BMW's at that point. I'd never owned a car that refined. Space was amazing, incredibly comfortable. The way it handled was a dream. I commuted between Bellevue and Seattle for the year I owned it, and I really didn't mind the 35-55 minute drive over 12 miles.

I wanted something more sporty, something I could take to autocrosses with friends. The M fit the bill perfectly. And I have to admit a bit, one friend told me "if you buy an M before I can even get a BMW I'm gonna be pissed!" Haha, well he still hasn't bought his BMW. But the drive to work actually became quite stressfull. I was always scared of other people hitting me. I drove like a maniac a couple times because I just wanted to GO - people get out of my way!

It took me a few months to settle down. And now that a year has gone by I'm far more relaxed. I don't mind hopping on it every now and then, but I never feel inclined to race someone like I did in the old days. I have nothing to prove. I know exactly what I have and what it'll do. I get my kicks on the track.

I've learned much more about cars, have started to get into the idea of doing mods, and finally feel that I have a car that I've got no desire to get rid of. There's plenty of other fun cars out there, but nothing I'd give the M for.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My M5 made me settle down a LOT. I became less aggressive of a driver. In my Jeep and my Camaro I was a bit of a lunatic in both (though the Camaro bit could just be the age thing). I don't speed excessively anymore. It's relaxing.

It also gave me far more depth in terms of appreciation for the automobile. I love the understated looks, with the sports car performance and the four door saloon practicality. I don't think a car has to look like a cruise missile with wheels or a jet fighter or a stingray to be an attractive piece of work.
Ditto.

I used to try to prove my car was fast. Now I don't have to :cheers:

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's given me the desire to drive again. I work out of the house. So I just go out and drive and yeah I race anyone who wants. Lots of Mustangs rev up around me.

Like someone else said I too have a strong desire for headers. Never felt that before!

Oh and I've joined my first board with other M5 maniacs like me.:cheers:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thinner wallet for sure....

I am close to opening another saving account for "The M5 Modding Fund"

Girlfriend gives me the "whatever.....look and walk away" as soon as I say, I'm going to the garage.......or she will reply with...."Again....?????"

But....hey....I love her....(the car....I mean the girlfriend....) ahhh..whatever....she's not in this board.....I love my car......

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
More DIY projects..

Got the mod bug, just no money to get it to go away. haha

Most cars I ride in or drive now feel... inadequate?

·
Registered
683 Posts
It's 1:30AM and I'm reading this...;-)

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Heck found the best guys and became best friends with them:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yep an impact on wallet for sure. I have also learnt a lot about cars too.
It's quite difficult not to show people how fast the car is here in the south of france because they love their BMW's. To give you an example the other day I was cruising in some traffic when I saw a made man overtaking stupidly in the rearview mirror. When he got behind me he stopped overtaking and just sat there. He had all his friends in the car (BMW 316) and I knew he just wanted me to nail it. So I waited for upcoming dual lane road and needless to say goodbye mister 316!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I owned 22 cars, most of them not good, before buying my M3 in 2003. That got me started on understanding what it was like to drive a car that was built for driving not profit.

Now, a few years later, I have a child on the way and i didnt even bother looking at what else was out there - E39 M5 all the way. Seats 5, goes fast, safest car on the road (i believe in active safety) and my wife told me to.

So how did it change my life? It simplified what i am looking for in a car, and more importantly brought me into contact with ppl like youselves that are enthusiatic about life, not just cars.

To me, those are important and powerful things - all from an automobile.

If all the world drove BMW's for the right reasons, the passion it evokes about life, it would be a better world.

Sappy crap over.lovelove

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ever since I got my M5, I have no interest in reading the classifieds, browsing CARS.COM, Autotrader, eBay, etc.: I already have the best possible car - no need to look further. Of course, I now spend a lot of time on sites like this, looking for the next mod!
+1

But my thing was a 'new to me' car every year, and autotrader.co.uk...now I just keep looking for stuff on ebay to upgrade (not mod) my Beast (and the Bike)...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts