BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the thread for http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...49945-pictures-you-your-m5-4.html#post1994640 I posted my pic with the board member Doug when I got back from Iraq with both our ///M5s.

I bought my ///M while on leave from my year in Iraq. When I finished my tour 6 months later, I was going to ship the ///M out to NH to my dad's house, fly my daughter out to him too and together we'd drive from NH to AZ and just have a great American road trip home. I ran into problems getting the ///M shipped [hauler totally dropped the ball and reneged on shipment] and dealing with the logistics of arranging another shipment while still in Iraq was difficult. I was really torn about the trip going to crap. Literally, the week before I got back Doug arranged shipment of my ///M from AZ to his house in Massachusetts and I met him to pick up the ///M the day as it was getting delivered after I had arrived at my dad's house.

Lauren and I drove 4,500 miles home, saw the Salem Witch Museum, House of Seven Gables, Niagara Falls, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, drove the hell out of the Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons, Promontory Point, Arches NP in Moab, Monument Vally, Canyon de Chelley, Sunset Crater and Monetzuma's Castle. A trip like that, in an automobile like the ///M, with my daughter, is one of my great lifetime memories. Had it not been for Doug's help, it would not have gone off like it did.

And to top it all off, board member PCUT from Park City even bought us dinner at his restaurant in Moab. Just great board members all the way around.

Then there was Ken21 who helped me navigate Hong Kong when I was rerouted there at the last minute for my trip to Tibet when the riots broke out in 2008. He was invaluable in finding a good place to stay and getting me from the airport to the hotel. Thanks.

"OC e39r" suggested I start a thread on how has the board helped you in a situation? So.....

....Let's hear the stories!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Amazing stories, guys. You've got to love forums like this, it adds a whole enjoyable aspect of owning a car :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am a memeber of assorted forums both local and national, and without a doubt this place is the most informative. To be blunt, if it were not for the boards, I would not longer own my M5.

Also big thanks to the local guys CSBM5 (CHuck), Redshift (Brian), Bryan in NC, DECOCQ (Zach), Tranck (TOM), ssigarto (Sam), Caspian and to all of those whom I forgot, many many thanks!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
"This board has help me"......save on repairs, but spent all the savings and more on mods.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I like to be able to repair my own cars (within reason)

Put simply i wouldn't have bought my M5 without the knowledge base accessible on m5board.

I would be too much at the mercy of workshop charges

·
Registered
585 Posts
m5 messageboard.com is one hell of a place,saved me lots of aggravation and wasted time
they know more than technicians that charge an arm an a leg for there expertise .
In the last 5 years i have become disabled at a young age,i lost both my hips "now titanium" full replacements
paralised in one eye after major brain sugery and a stroke,working on these cars and doing some of the smaller jobs
is about my limit but without the boards help and pictures i would be stuffed..having to use bmw as i dont trust local shops near me.
so i can say what has this board done for me,its given me a chance...so thanks ! Dan

·
Registered
585 Posts
might be another thread but could also work ,not what has the message board done for you,but what can you offer the message board..

me well only will help in the uk ,i can offer secure storage for your trusty beasty.
car photo studio
make decals /stickers on vinyl .
if any of you overseas members need anything sent from here or from europe to usa or similar you can use me as a postage point..

·
Registered
832 Posts
M5board has provided me with a tonne of knowledge regarding the E39 M5 from maintenance to modifications. Saved me a hell of a lot of money too by providing great DIYs, best bang for your buck mods and trustworthy vendors.

Also, it's put me in contact with some really cool guys both locally and overseas, members and vendors (you guys know who you are).

I've also had someone tell me that they love me, numerous times (JCM55555 lovelove)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was this (holds fingers about 1mm apart) close to buying a new G37 but the dealer was such a d*ck, I decided on an M5. This board was a huge factor in the decision since I'm on boards for all my vehicles. There is a HUGE difference in the character and skill here compared to, say, an Infiniti board. And don't ever surf an F150 board. Ever. So for the price of a new G37, I got an E39 and a truck with change to spare.

More important, I found my car on this board plus a relatively local shop to do the engine transplant. More on that when I get it back from the shop next week.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
136 Posts
You bought the silver M5 with the hole in the block from the new year thread?
Bingo. I'm still tallying the costs. The car itself was a deal (as the former owner said). The downstream costs are now way past the original budget and I'm on financial probation for misestimation....:7: But it's now running and is getting road tested this week. I hope to be driving it next Monday night.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bingo. I'm still tallying the costs. The car itself was a deal (as the former owner said). The downstream costs are now way past the original budget and I'm on financial probation for misestimation....:7: But it's now running and is getting road tested this week. I hope to be driving it next Monday night.
Import motor werke in Raleigh doingthe work by any chance?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Import motor werke in Raleigh doing the work by any chance?
Yes. So far they've been very helpful. I did a quick inspection of the work last week and the new (to me) engine seemed to be done very professionally. I got to run the car for a bit and no SEL lights, etc.

They have been particularly helpful since I had a crew (my son & friends) bring the car down to Raleigh and then handle some of the early work with them. I travel quite a bit and wasn't able to establish my connection with them until the car had been there a few days.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes. So far they've been very helpful. I did a quick inspection of the work last week and the new (to me) engine seemed to be done very professionally. I got to run the car for a bit and no SEL lights, etc.

They have been particularly helpful since I had a crew (my son & friends) bring the car down to Raleigh and then handle some of the early work with them. I travel quite a bit and wasn't able to establish my connection with them until the car had been there a few days.
I saw the car in person, looks great. Just to add the car pulls hard, flat and steady. I was visiting the shop just after they fired it up and for its first test run. My car has been serviced there since it was under my ownership and they do a maticulous job. You will not be disapointed with the end result.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I saw the car in person, looks great. Just to add the car pulls hard, flat and steady. I was visiting the shop just after they fired it up and for its first test run. My car has been serviced there since it was under my ownership and they do a maticulous job. You will not be disapointed with the end result.
I appreciate the information greatly. This purchase was a pure leap of faith. I had bought the car pretty much sight unseen, chose Import Werks by reputation and have just had my fingers crossed after that.

I haven't driven the car on the road (we just got the temporary permit for that) but have started it and done a 15-minute inspection when I was in Raleigh last week. I was on the fence about the Dinan exhaust until firing it up. My son will just have to buy his own now...:haha:

The guys at Import Werks have been very helpful so far. They even got their detail guy scheduled to clean it up -- the interior was pretty clean but the engine bay needed a good cleanup and my detail guy here doesn't do engines (he's mobile).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good to hear that beast hits the road again!:cheers:

Was a used engine installed?
Yes. Donor engine from CA. IIRC the engine had about 80K on it and the original M5 was rear-ended by an SUV. Sound familiar?

Also, it's from a 2002 so I don't expect VANOS problems. At least it starts without the knockety-knock my son's has.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts