BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
racing a C6 vette today..he jumped first and I was about 4 car lengths behind him when I went. Stayed 4 car lengths behind from 35 mph to when he suddenly braked and got out of it. I had to similarly break and was so fixated on the tach I never looked at the speedo. All I remember was that I was at about 6500 RPM when I let off in 5th. About how fast was that? My clutch is new, but broken in so there was no slippage, but the traction triangle blipped even on the 3-4 and 4-5 shifts!

Bill

was hoping I could close on him, but couldn't. He was not a ZO6.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very nice. I've eeked out wins over a couple of C5's, but the new guys are definitely faster than us. Cool you stayed with him for so long.

·
10,456 Posts
the speedo is right next to the tach... :haha2:

Reactions: EM5PWR

·
Registered
804 Posts
I went 290km/h on the dyno in fifth gear @ 7500 rpm. Which would equat to 251 km/h @ 6500 rpm, which is 156 MPH

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah you should have been approaching 160... I did a similar run with a bike and had no idea how fast i was going either. At that speed you dont really have time to look around...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellas. I'm not a kid at 53 years young so i don't make a habit of this kinda stuff and don't advocate it, but I traded a highly modded C5 and a rare 91ZR1 for the M5 and cash back. So, this match-up was too good to pass up. There was no traffic for as far as I could see and 4 lane road. The speedo might be right there, but what got me was how fast I kept coming up on redlines. I had no time to read the speedo. Our speedos definitely need to be read- they just are too small and compressed for a quick glance to register. This guy was driving a vert. and his top looked like it was going to explode:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Well......

Thanks fellas. I'm not a kid at 53 years young so i don't make a habit of this kinda stuff and don't advocate it, but I traded a highly modded C5 and a rare 91ZR1 for the M5 and cash back. So, this match-up was too good to pass up. There was no traffic for as far as I could see and 4 lane road. The speedo might be right there, but what got me was how fast I kept coming up on redlines. I had no time to read the speedo. Our speedos definitely need to be read- they just are too small and compressed for a quick glance to register. This guy was driving a vert. and his top looked like it was going to explode:biggrinbounce:
I'm older than you and, yes, the speedo isn't easy to read when "hot foot'n". 'Dunno how long you've had the M5, but I found I could shift by sound and "feel" (optimum is a little past peak power RPM's; not necessarily "redline") @ WOT, once I had the car for awhile. You just "learn" it. Speedo doesn't matter in these circumstances and I'm able to keep "eyes up"; decidedly most important to be acutely aware of everything when accelerating @ bodacious speeds!!

Reactions: Kelster and jclyman

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
I would venture to guess around 140?
Using 25.6 tire diameter, 6500 rpm is 157 mph. Speedo runs fast, so if might read around 165 or so...
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
89 Posts
It should be 160 more or less

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
All I know is the overdrive in the vette is .5 to 1 in 6th gear so it certainly has a higher potential and of course the weight and the aerodynamics are certainly in the Vettes favor. When you think about it, he would have to have 4 adults in that vette to approach the weight of my Bimmer-forget for the moment the wind resistance. The modded '99 was mine and was 441 rwhp so a little over 500 at the flywheel. I know the M5 would not have hung with that car. I bought the ZR1 for the wife actually. The '91 Zr1 was rated at 375HP and I would say the M5 would give the stock Z a good race even though the only mod I had on the Z was 4.10 gears. When I told the wife what I wanted to do which was trade both Vettes for a BMW that essentially looks a lot like my 540Ia sport, she was lamenting how she would miss the speed of the Z. She drives the M5 and I actually prefer the 540ia sport for an everyday driver. She has NEVER mentioned the lack of speed once since getting it and in fact she really digs all that power and the comfort and creature features. Ours is a 2000 jet black with blue inserts in black full leather interior- a rather`rare combination and she loves it. I think the M5 can hold its head up proud to stay absolutely with the vette. I think he was shocked and likely figured since I was holding so tight that I *might* have a higher top speed. Little did he know that isn't true. My biggest fear that day was hitting a damn pothole!

Bill:applause:

·
8,369 Posts
Heads up display option

That is the reason I installed an HUD.

No more the need to look down to check for speed and/or RPM. Tach and speed is always shown on the windshield while driving.

Eyes always on the road for safety.

Green LED I set at 7,000 RPM for perfect shifts. Once I see the green LED light up, I upshift. No more activation of rev limiters since this upgrade.

One of the best mod I've done to my beast.
See here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95762&highlight=heads+display

http://www.dikperformance.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2479

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No time now to read the entire thread. Bottom line. What does the HUD run total cost if you install yourself? I like the concept!

·
8,369 Posts
Less than 300 bucks. Labor is your own.

The challenge is building the pulse divider (see my post link above). The Defi HUD is not compatible with the speed pulse that BMW system generates so a pulse divider had to be built from scratch. This takes time and knowledge (buy the parts, correct connection, soldering, reading schematics, etc.)

But if you can find another HUD maker out there that is compatible with BMW system - the upgrade is very easy as you only need to tap to 5 wires, four of them to the OBD II connector which is very easily accessible.

No time now to read the entire thread. Bottom line. What does the HUD run total cost if you install yourself? I like the concept!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a better idea. Just trade me your Le Mans Blue M5 for my 2000 Jet black with blue/black seats. 59K on the odometer. I love that color!

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
741 Posts
Using 25.6 tire diameter, 6500 rpm is 157 mph. Speedo runs fast, so if might read around 165 or so...
Regards,
Jerry
157 mph is the same figure my spreadsheet shows based on 275/35/18 tires.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts